PDA

View Full Version : Reposition VM modem

raging bull
29-04-2010, 17:56
My daughter's modem is currently positioned at one end of her property.
She wants to move her modem to the other side of the living room @20metres away.
99 pounds seems a lot, could she not obtain a ready made up 20metre lead and connect via 2 way splitter (T) providing the T is correctly specified?
Brian

JayJay
29-04-2010, 20:45
If you dont want to pay the £99, the best thing I can recommend (apart from getting your own cable, is to get an engineer you may see at the side of the road (for a few little golden pounds...) ask him/her if they can make you up the relevant cable.

raging bull
29-04-2010, 21:12
the cable isn't the problem, its the spec for T I need.

Graham M
29-04-2010, 23:48
Wouldn't be a great idea, because you're already extending the cable by quite a bit, adding a splitter which loses a few dB of signal each way you could easily find it just wouldn't work

Ben B
29-04-2010, 23:52
Long ethernet cable or homeplugs :)

raging bull
30-04-2010, 08:48
The room where the computer equipment is currently used is to be completely stripped (walls to be stripped of plaster then rewired) so didn't want to leave any equipment in whilst this is taking place.
Modem feeds a home network 2 Macs/network server/laptop, could become complicated having to use homeplugs?

Peter_
30-04-2010, 09:26
Long ethernet cable or homeplugs :)
The option of a long ethernet cable may be a good option and plenty of long cables can be sourced cheaply from Ebay as you can have up to 100m if required.

Home plugs will probably be of similar price to getting it moved by a Virginmedia engineer.

Kymmy
30-04-2010, 10:17
As already stated by Graham the splitters will induce a db voltage drop and also 20 meters of cable will also attenuatte the signal even more than a splitter. Bad either way and likely to need the power tweaking at the cabinet..

Either call them in or use this oppertunity to wire in a long ethernet cable (or the homeplugs option)

As for leaving it in the room whilst redecorating just put it in a ventilated shoebox (or similar to protect it from splashes..