PDA

View Full Version : No internet connection on Mac book- advice needed!

Denzel
28-04-2010, 13:06
Dear Cable Forum

I hope you able to help with my query. It is my first post so if I am missing any vital info please advise and I will do my best.

I am in LS16. and using a Macbook

I had a new virgin media connection intalled over a week ago. I have been trying to connect only via an ethernet cable to modem and not using a wireless router.

The internet is still not working. I have spoken to the tech support who have so far asked me to:

Turn modem off and on
Asked for the number on the underside of the modem starting 00.
I have refreshed the IP address from 192. to one starting 81.
Started the Mac in safe mode and tried the internet
Asked me to replace the ethernet cable
disconnect and re connect ethernet cable
They checked if i am in 'walled garden' - this was not explained but they say not

Safari always defaults to the virgin media link to activate the account, i have been through this process many time. It tries to reboot the modem and gives an error message.

They now tell me my modem is fine and is receiving there signals and It is the settings on my Mac, I have tried to connect using a dell PC but this also does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Denzel.

pip08456
28-04-2010, 13:31
I'm not familiar with Macbooks so can't help you there someone will come along soon.

Defaulting to the activation normally means you are in the "Walled garden" and CS should be able to sort it out quickly as all it needs is a signal to be sent to your modem to activate it onto the network.

I'd ring back and have another go with them.

Walled garden

"More generally, a walled garden refers to a closed or exclusive set of information services provided for users. This is in contrast to providing consumers open access to the applications and content.

Yet another example is where an unauthenticated user is given access to a limited environment for the purpose of setting up an account - after they have done so they are allowed out of the walled garden. "

Denzel
29-04-2010, 12:22
Thanks for the walled garden explanation.

I have had Tech Support send signals to the router, they say that it appears to be working at there end.

Still no joy.

I was expecting a call back last night and it didnt happen.

10hrs and counting on the phone with VM. Very frustrating.

Peter_
29-04-2010, 12:44
When you connected the Dell machine did you reboot the modem as otherwise it will still think that you are connected to the Mac.