PDA

View Full Version : will virgin tech know modem is chipped

jo28
28-04-2010, 03:50
Hi every1 hope someone can help, im not very technical so go easy. Ok last year my bf at the time decided to go and chip or mod our virgin modem. I have a contract with virgin for the tv/broadband and modem but he wanted a faster speed for his ps3 games so away he went and got the modem chipped.

Anyway to cut to the point the bf is out of the picture, i now am stuck with the modded modem and it has been flashed or something as its no longer working, i am wondering if i phone out the virgin tech to fix it or replace it...will they know its chipped/modded?

thanks in advance for any help/advice

pip08456
28-04-2010, 04:02
Yes VM have solved the problem of chipped modems being connected to their network. Best bet is to disconnect it and ring to say it is not working, pretend to do the reboot and they should send a new one.

The ex is a s**t for leaving you in this position and putting you there in the first place.

Without going into the tech details, it wasn't chipped it was using another customers MAC address

jo28
28-04-2010, 04:13
thanks for the quick reply. Think im screwed, phoned virgin and they said there must be apower issue in your area and they want to send a tech out to resolve problem...they wouldn't send a new modem....hmmmm dunno what to do now either im stuck paying for internet with no connection, risk getting caught by virgin tech or maybe upgrade to 50mb that way they will send me out new modem.

speedfreak
28-04-2010, 06:58
A tech visit is required to get a 50Mb modem, im sure they dont post them out

Peter_
28-04-2010, 07:00
A tech visit is required to get a 50Mb modem, im sure they dont post them out
Manned installation only.;)

Jayster
28-04-2010, 07:43
I know its not really an option now but u could have said your bf took it with him.

Ben B
28-04-2010, 07:45
Ring back and say you just plugged it in to see if it would work yet and the plug went bang and now the modem wont switch on...

horseman
28-04-2010, 08:17
Without going into the tech details, it wasn't chipped it was using another customers MAC address

More likely the BPI+ implementation with DOCSIS1.1 rollout now encrypts the config TFTP download/file so it's no longer possible to use a modified file?

Not implausible if your CM is situated near your TV then sometimes accidents can happen and something heavy might break the fragile plastic of the modem and IC board. Bulk price is so cheap that any physical damage to CM is not worth investigating/repairing (particularly if any parts had been lost/disposed) so depending on OP's house contents insurance and excess she may not have an insurmountable problem if VM do charge for a replacement if of course that was indeed the actual case<sic>?

As nobody would be foolish enough to discuss a potential illegal act on a public forum and the OP is non-technical then one can only presume the "chipped case" is hypothetical (and her BF was "winding her up") thus it might be prudent to keep replacement CM in well ventilated position away from possibility of further accidental damage. ;)

Equally of course if the reported scenario is true then the KEK/TEK errors will already be logged against customers account and an engineer will be dispatched to collect the "evidence" (as dispatching a replacement modem is far cheaper than an engineers visit!) :(

Kymmy
28-04-2010, 08:30
Jo, go into the modem and post your config page http://192.168.100.1 (should show up and down datarates) I think that will tell us if it's *chipped* or not..

Also there should be a sticker on the outside with the MAC on it, this should match the MAC shown on the login page. Please do not post the macs/serial numbers. If though they do not match then it is a cloned modem and as such it's between you and VM as discussion about changing macs is prohibited on CableForum

jo28
02-05-2010, 19:27
Hi thanks every1 for all your ideas and help, i got a new modem on Friday, just phoned up virgin and told them the modem was physically damaged during a party and threw it in the trash so would need a replacement, a very nice engineer came out and advised normally he should charge £150 for a new modem and £35 callout fee as there was no modem to return but he would waive it this time........phew

Just glad its over......thanks again for all your advise.

Peter_
02-05-2010, 19:29
Hi thanks every1 for all your ideas and help, i got a new modem on Friday, just phoned up virgin and told them the modem was physically damaged during a party and threw it in the trash so would need a replacement, a very nice engineer came out and advised normally he should charge £150 for a new modem and £35 callout fee as there was no modem to return but he would waive it this time........phew

Just glad its over......thanks again for all your advise.
Modems are not that much and callout would be £30 not £35, you could have gave him the modem with damage and it would have been skipped when he got back to the depot.

masque2
10-05-2010, 02:51
Modems are not that much and callout would be £30 not £35, you could have gave him the modem with damage and it would have been skipped when he got back to the depot.

SAl masque.... esti de al meu?????????

jb66
10-05-2010, 08:34

They are now £35 as stated in the new handbook.

The tech probably wouldnt have guessed and swapped it out but its not worth the gamble, If you called up and stated it was water damaged at the start you may have got sent out a new one.

Glad virgin is finally getting rid of theese dodgy modems, should free up some bandwidth

*sloman*
11-05-2010, 17:57
i chipped my 50mb modem didn't make no difference to speed :(

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/3157/photohwo.jpg

Raistlin
11-05-2010, 17:59
Wrong type of chip .....

..... Supposed to be French fries.

Kymmy
11-05-2010, 18:00
Wrong type of chip.. You needed an EU straight chip as the non-EU curved chips just send the signal round the bend!!!

*sloman*
11-05-2010, 18:04
Wrong type of chip .....

..... Supposed to be French fries.

Dam, i'll try that later that is a southern fired curly chip. Time to go out and buy McCain's chips

pip08456
11-05-2010, 18:04
Then again a crinkle cut chip may act as a rectifier to smooth the signal out!

KingDaveRa
12-05-2010, 19:56
I tried chipping a modem once*. Something went wrong and I just ended up frying it.

Ahhhhhhthankyou.

*IRONY!!!!!!

jb66
12-05-2010, 20:06
BOOM BOOM!!! haha

webrosc
12-05-2010, 22:59
I managed to chip my modem......... dropped it on a concrete floor
Click me (http://instantrimshot.com/) :D :rolleyes:

danielf
12-05-2010, 23:10
I managed to chip my modem......... dropped it on a concrete floor