PDA

View Full Version : Extra tv box question.

raspberry
27-04-2010, 20:14
Hi All,
we currently have a stb in the front room,fed from the external box a few metres away.We also have a stb in our bedroom directly above,also fed direct from the external box.
My son,who's bedroom is right at the back of the house is now having a stb installed.

Question 1:- Can the new stb be fed from our bedroom or does it have to go direct to the external box at the front of the house?

Question 2:-I am hoping it is the former,and i am planning on running the cable thru' the loft space to my sons bedroom (i wouldn't expect the installer to do this).Unless i can find a local, friendly installer and ponce some cable,what sort of cable should i purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Scrubbs
27-04-2010, 20:25
I don't know but have you searched the forum?

raspberry
28-04-2010, 19:54
OK,rj6 cable.Lets hope the installer thinks that the cable is of decent quality!
BUT,do i run it to the external box or can i feed it from the box in my bedroom?

Ben B
28-04-2010, 20:21
I would wait until the engineer has been because they should be able to find the most suitable route for the cable to go. For mine the cable goes round the side of the house from the main junction box to a second junction box which feeds the broadband and the upstairs TV at the rear of the house. If that isn't possible for example if you live in a terraced house then the installer will be able to take a feed from the connection in your room.

JayJay
28-04-2010, 21:20
I would personally run it from your bedroom as then (im guessing) its just a quick pop through the wall and job done :)

calmpitbull
11-05-2010, 20:37
Technically it is best to run from the external box. However it can be run from the bedroom as well.

If you are having an extra box just let the installer do it. That way you don't have to do anything!

jb66
11-05-2010, 21:15
I'd work with the installer to get it through your loft, you can go up and he can assist.