PDA

View Full Version : 50 Mb Query

paddyco
27-04-2010, 19:54
Hello there, I have just recently upgraded to the 50Mb service and have a question. When ever I have downloaded anything it frequently gets up to 6MB/s or higher which seems about right. But whenever I do a speed test either here or at speedtest.net I get on average 25Mb/s. Do these speed tests struggle to work with the 50Mb connection.

martyh
27-04-2010, 20:23
Hello there, I have just recently upgraded to the 50Mb service and have a question. When ever I have downloaded anything it frequently gets up to 6MB/s or higher which seems about right. But whenever I do a speed test either here or at speedtest.net I get on average 25Mb/s. Do these speed tests struggle to work with the 50Mb connection.

it all depends on how you test your speed .If you are connected via a wireless router then it will be less accurate than if connected via ethernet directly to the modem .When i am checking my speed i use this link

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/

simply start a download of about 3-4 files ,i choose larger ones let them settle down and reach maximum add them together and that should give you a more accurate reading than most test sites ,and don't forget to connect directly to the modem

jb66
27-04-2010, 22:17
Virgin recommend the London server on speedtest.net

paddyco
27-04-2010, 22:23
Thanks for your replies guys. I tried the london server on speedtest.net and the result was 49Mb/s, so spot on, thanks again