PDA

View Full Version : Preston ubr4 = oversubscribed

chambohambo
26-04-2010, 17:04
As in subject and Virgin will not upgrade it.

Sirius
26-04-2010, 17:12
As in subject and Virgin will not upgrade it.

If there refusing to upgrade it then they will lose a lot of customers or have they just not given a date yet.

chambohambo
26-04-2010, 17:16
they will not upgrade it due to it not having high utilization 24/7 basically.

Sirius
26-04-2010, 17:28
they will not upgrade it due to it not having high utilization 24/7 basically.

That stinks :mad:

chambohambo
26-04-2010, 17:31
was getting 30 kb/sec around 4pm on a 20mb line from

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

Chrysalis
26-04-2010, 20:19
the sad thing is they wont lose many customers over it.

I expect.

(a) many wont notice, not technical minded etc. so not understanding issues and cause of them.
(b) most who complain and threaten to leave will be bribed to stay. this keeps them on the books and is quite possibly cheaper than upgrading capacity to eliminate the congestion. :)

Sirius
26-04-2010, 21:27
the sad thing is they wont lose many customers over it.

I expect.

(a) many wont notice, not technical minded etc. so not understanding issues and cause of them.
(b) most who complain and threaten to leave will be bribed to stay. this keeps them on the books and is quite possibly cheaper than upgrading capacity to eliminate the congestion. :)

so who is to blame, Those that accept the bribe to shut up and therefor hide the problem or Virgin for not having the balls to upgrade and instead bribing users with money. ????

Chrysalis
26-04-2010, 22:41
I put the blame more onto VM, but of course if you accept financial gifts to put up with the connection then you are accepting the reduced service as it is.

VM seem to have more severe congestion than isp's who sell broadband at a much lower pricing point, quite how they cant turn this revenue into sufficient capacity I dont know, but I guess we still have cloned modem costs to cover, loss making tv service and branson's f1 antics to fund. :)

a few latency/loss graphs popped up on tbb today, interesting to see non congested areas are not as few as is made out.

chambohambo
27-04-2010, 09:36
wow am getting 2.3 mb/sec 8am from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/ wonder why this is well its pretty obvious the UBR must not be busy HA

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

virgin made me laugh yesterday they said its an "UP TO" 20MB service, I think this is how they get out of upgrading the UBR.

speedfreak
27-04-2010, 10:17
I dont know if its possible but can they put you a different UBR though I dont know how these things work :)

Peter_
27-04-2010, 10:26
I dont know if its possible but can they put you on UBR9? It doesnt have high utilisation but I dont know how these things work :)
No as the modem would retune to the local uBR at the first reboot so this is no longer an option.

speedfreak
27-04-2010, 10:28
No as the modem would retune to the local uBR at the first reboot so this is no longer an option.

Cheers Masque was just an idea I thought Id heard of people being switched around before, though I did edit my post as i didnt want everyone round preston jumping on my UBR :D Suppose your answer means it wouldnt happen anyway :)

Peter_
27-04-2010, 10:33
Cheers Masque was just an idea I thought Id heard of people being switched around before, though I did edit my post as i didnt want everyone round preston jumping on my UBR :D Suppose your answer means it wouldnt happen anyway :)
They tried it but once the modem rebooted you reverted to the original uBR and then the customer called back in as his connection degraded, it was a short term fix which never worked.

As we run up to 100Mb I expect any uBRs that need work will be looked at and re-segmented where required, possibly this one will be a candidate for this but as to if or when this may happen I cannot say.

Chrysalis
27-04-2010, 15:30
Masque seems a big problem that VM cant rebalance like that, try and see it from a customers point of view, simply telling them the congestion level will be monitored and 'may' get a capacity upgrade isnt good enough really.

So its either overselling or a poor balance of heavy users. If the former should just get on with upgrades and give the customer the date it be fixed and I mean proper upgrades, If the latter invoke a FUP and boot the heaviest users in the area off the service.

Even moving the modem to a new ubr which works until a reboot is better than simply telling the customer to hang on.

broadbandking
27-04-2010, 19:34
I am not defending VM for not upgrading there overloaded areas, however a UBR resegment doesn't happen overnight, it takes months of planning,looking at cost,ordering parts, it takes a while so until VM have a certain date what do you suppose the customers are told until VM actually know themselves.

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

As not all UBR's are not on DOCSIS 3.0 then the 100Mb users will be added to these UBR's, so the overloaded UBR's will most likely stay that way until resegmented or upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0.

Chrysalis
27-04-2010, 20:16
broadbandking there is no planning as such, you either make the decision to upgrade or you dont, why do they need to consult for months first?

anyway the simple answer is you plan upgrades 'before' congestion occurs, so you dont wait until its absolutely needed.

granted the work itself takes time but at least then there will be an estimated complete time.

There is a lot of difference between telling a stressed customer (paying full price) that they are talking about it and telling a customer that a upgrade to resegment their port is in progress and estimated to be completed by such and such date. During the work service will be free.

chambohambo
28-04-2010, 00:48
60 kb/sec at this time of the morning 00:48am absolutely ridiculous.

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

frogstamper
28-04-2010, 01:55
broadbandking there is no planning as such, you either make the decision to upgrade or you dont, why do they need to consult for months first?

anyway the simple answer is you plan upgrades 'before' congestion occurs, so you dont wait until its absolutely needed.

granted the work itself takes time but at least then there will be an estimated complete time.

There is a lot of difference between telling a stressed customer (paying full price) that they are talking about it and telling a customer that a upgrade to resegment their port is in progress and estimated to be completed by such and such date. During the work service will be free.

Great post, everything you say here you'd think was plain common sense, eerr!! planing for the future.

synner
28-04-2010, 12:56
UBR04 Preston is still overloaded....!?!?!?!?!?!!!

To give an idea of how long this has been going on for have a look at my thread from July 2008 (!):

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33636497-ubr04-preston.html#post34607720

I've moved onto 50Mb as ADSL is not viable at my property (train line behind the house which causes DSL to loose sync everytime a Virgin Train goes past !) but I am paying the full price.

Bri

Chrysalis
28-04-2010, 22:23
Great post, everything you say here you'd think was plain common sense, eerr!! planing for the future.

I think the sad thing is these areas are probably just cash cows for VM.

I wonder if preston ubr4 is qam16 or qpsk.

chambohambo
28-04-2010, 22:37
Downstream-256QAM
Upstream-16QAM