PDA

View Full Version : Repurpose a Cable?

Monkeylord
26-04-2010, 15:03
I'm about to move into my new house on Sat, and have a service move/50MB upgrade booked in for Sat morning. Shouldn't be too bad as the house already has Virgin installed there. Thing is, we're actually thinking of having the second Vbox finally hooked up (on a VIP package, but didn't have room for an extra TV at the old flat).

We've decided to have it installed in the back bedroom, which we will be using as the master bedroom. It has a small room coming off it.

In the small room is what looks like a Virgin cable poking from behind the steps that lead into it (it's 2 steps lower than the bedroom) and on the landlords inventory it was listed as "Internet cable".

We're having our internet installed downstairs.

Due to the odd layout of the house, would it be possible for the engineer to repurpose this "internet cable" and just drill a small hole into the wall and poke it through into the main bedroom? It would actually end up on the side of the room that we want the TV to be when we get another one.

Also, the Virgin box on the wall in the living room is on the opposite side of the room to where we're having the TV. Would the engineers be willing to poke a hole through the floor, as close to the wall as possible, to feed the cable through to the basement? There's already the TV aeriel and some satellite dish cables poking up from the basement exactly where we want the TV to be.

The only other alternative is to pin the cable to the skirting board and run it around the entire room, which seems to me to be a waste of time and cable (and will not be as organised as I'd like).

Thanks in advance.

Stuart
26-04-2010, 15:19
It depends on the engineer, but they tend not to touch cables that haven't been installed by Virgin, NTL or Telewest. I am not sure if this applies to Coaxial cables (as used by both Sky and VM), but it certainly applies to anything installed by BT or any other phone company. They aren't allowed to touch other company's property.

Peter_
26-04-2010, 15:26
It is unlikely that the engineer will use existing cables as he will be unaware as to their previous use in the property and they may even carry a current and the are plenty of threads on here about this subject.

He will probably run new cable to where ever it is required.

Monkeylord
26-04-2010, 15:47
Thanks for the help.

God knows how they'll get the cable upstairs to the back bedroom then. Hope whoever does it likes a challenge!

joglynne
26-04-2010, 15:59
Bribery in the form of Bacon butties and an industrial size mug of coffee may help. :D

calmpitbull
11-05-2010, 20:40
Just tell them where the services are going, they will do the rest!