PDA

View Full Version : Off-net Newsgroup Access

PaulJCG
26-04-2010, 11:46
Hi there. Long-time reader, first time poster!

I searched for an answer on this but couldn't find anything. I sometimes read the newsgroups on news.virginmedia.com. This works fine from my home connection. Since you don't need a username or password, I assume Virgin authenticate by IP address or something similar to this.

Away from my home connection I can't log-in since I'm no longer on Virgin's network. I was wondering if it's still possible to access the newsgroups e.g. by authenticating with a Virgin email and password? I've tried my old blueyonder username and password but this didn't work. Is the only way around this to use a different (non-Virgin) server?

Many thanks!

Kymmy
26-04-2010, 11:59
Welcome to the forum

I believe for VM newsgroup access that you have to be on a VM connection

Ignitionnet
26-04-2010, 12:58
You can log in using the same username and password you use for webmail. Try the main password and any primary alias as a username too.

If for text access you can also probably use Google Groups or get a free trial from somewhere. If for binary access buy the item you want to leech instead and get that warm fuzzy feeling of not ripping off copyright restricted material :)

PaulJCG
26-04-2010, 16:21
Nope couldn't get it to work - tried [username, alias etc.]@blueyonder.co.uk, @virginmedia.com and without a domain name.

Google Groups though - wish I knew about that before. So much easier than using a newsreader program. Thanks!

Ignitionnet
26-04-2010, 16:52
Yep since they got rid of the virginmedia..... hierarchy there's little value in using the VM servers for text now :(