PDA

View Full Version : Internet Speed Fine except with Video Streams (Youtube)

ibz2004
25-04-2010, 14:42
Hello folks

Everything with my internet connection seems to be ok except when viewing youtube (and similar video streaming sites). It takes forever to load then hangs. The downstairs PC (which is connected wirelessly) had the same problem too. In any case i have updated flash and shock but same problem. I have tried to read up on it without any success so have copy & pasted the following info. If anyone can be so kind and interpret it into laymans terms!

XP, Basic Virgin Media Connection (5meg i think), Wired Connection

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.8 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 58.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size :

moaningmags
25-04-2010, 15:09
Your upstream power level at 58.0dBmV is too high, I'd either tech it or replace your modem depending on which one you have.
I'd also try a direct connection to rule out the router as the cause of the problem.

ibz2004
25-04-2010, 16:10
Your upstream power level at 58.0dBmV is too high, I'd either tech it or replace your modem depending on which one you have.
I'd also try a direct connection to rule out the router as the cause of the problem.

Just tried the direct connection and same problem. BBC News Channel, Youtube tries to load/transmit but it just hangs. I will give the techs a call later (though Modem was only replaced 2yrs ago). Just done a speedtest:

download 9.49 Mb/s
upload 0.49 Mb/s
ping 10ms

Matt-08
29-04-2010, 20:43
YouTube has been dog slow for a while now, it's even worse on a mate's Sky connection so this isn't Virgin's problem.