PDA

View Full Version : Have connection, cannot browse, Help!!

Darry
23-04-2010, 14:34
Turned pc on Tues and connection looked normal, but could not connect to any websites.
I have a valid IP and can ping the default gateway and my IP but NOTHING else, all time out and browser cannot find server.

I cannot ping my IP from this (other location) PC despite configuring to accept them.

I am connected via a Samsung STB, the light is solid (normal). I'm using Windows XP SP2.

My first call to TS got a recorded message saying there's a fault in Wirral so I left it a that as these things tend to clear themselves up.

Spoke to TS next day and they are sending me a cable modem but were unable to find/solve the problem.

My basic diagnostic test says DNS failure but an alt DNS doesn't fix.

I've tried all I can think of, Firewall, safe mode, hosts, proxies, ipconfig release/renew, flushdns ect.
Hijack this, superantispyware procXp show nothing unusual.
Only other thing I can think of is a factory default reset but really don't want to do that unless I know the prob is with my PC. I really cant see that being the case unless something really odd has occurred.

Everything looks normal just no browsing.

Any help/suggestions,

thanks

Dave.

cimt
23-04-2010, 14:54
If you're using an STB which I believe VM stopped using about 2 years ago for broadband then I'd phone them up and request a modem. It'll more than likely sort out your problem if there's nothing wrong on your PC.

Peter_
23-04-2010, 15:54
Your STB will just have stopped working and you will need a modem which really should have been done via a manned install.