PDA

View Full Version : Help!

LazyBones
23-04-2010, 14:37
My 1st post on here and guess what.... I need some help!
I've got Virgin TV and Cable downstairs and TV upstairs, I discovered I could run a cable modem off the TV line and have done for the last 2 years. Last week the modem stopped working, I bought one off Ebay... it doesn't work, I can take mine from downstairs and it works fine. Maybe I'm the owner of 2 faulty modems but before I buy another off Ebay, I'd like to know if modems are locked to the original point of installation or I was just unlucky buying a faulty one.

TIA

haydnwalker
23-04-2010, 14:42
You can't buy them off ebay - as they need to be registered with VMs database to work properly, and ones on ebay are generally old ones that are no longer in use or cloned ones (ones that people modify to allow stealing of services - Which is a criminal offense).

If you do indeed purchase services from VM, you need to contact them and tell them your modem doesn't work and they should go through some diagnostics and either get your modem working OR send you a new one.

Note: The Cable Modems are not owned by the customer, but Rented from Virgin Media while you pay for their services, they should be returned if you stop your services.

LazyBones
23-04-2010, 14:59
Hi Hadyn and thanks for the reply. I don't have the internet subscription upstairs therefore VM won't replace something they haven't supplied.
I know the connection is good as my modem from downstairs works fine and the modem I had upstairs originally worked fine for 2 years.
I might just stop being a tight arse and pay for a 2nd internet connection!

Dai
23-04-2010, 15:03
Hi Hadyn and thanks for the reply. I don't have the internet subscription upstairs therefore VM won't replace something they haven't supplied.
I know the connection is good as my modem from downstairs works fine and the modem I had upstairs originally worked fine for 2 years.
I might just stop being a tight arse and pay for a 2nd internet connection!

If you just want a 2nd internet connection available upstairs you can split the service from your existing modem. All you need is a router to enable you to connect more than one computer. There are various different ways of carrying te connection upstairs from the router with cable, wireless or homeplugs. We'd need some help from you to establish the best way.

Kymmy
23-04-2010, 15:07
VM will not supply a 2nd modem as it's one account per house.. As Dainasty states just buy a cheap router and share the original modem conneciton either via ethernet or wireless.

As for the original modem (the one on your account) if it's faulty then simply call VM they'll probably do a simple test or two and they should just either post you a new modem free of charge or send round a tech also free of charge.

As for eBay I'm afraid you've been ripped off and no VM modem bought from them will work. If you bought it very recently put in an ebay report and paypal claim for your money back

LazyBones
23-04-2010, 15:15
If you just want a 2nd internet connection available upstairs you can split the service from your existing modem. All you need is a router to enable you to connect more than one computer. There are various different ways of carrying te connection upstairs from the router with cable, wireless or homeplugs. We'd need some help from you to establish the best way.

Yeah I've got a Belkin wireless set up down stairs for using my laptop and 1 Xbox with but if my son uses his Xbox upstairs wirelessly it kicks everybody out hence why he was using his TV connection into a modem.

As for the original modem (the one on your account) if it's faulty then simply call VM they'll probably do a simple test or two and they should just either post you a new modem free of charge or send round a tech also free of charge.

As for eBay I'm afraid you've been ripped off and no VM modem bought from them will work. If you bought it very recently put in an ebay report and paypal claim for your money back

No the modem on my account is fine, the 2nd modem came from my business premises when we moved and worked fine for 2 years and the guy on Ebay gave me a refund for the one I bought.

Kymmy
23-04-2010, 16:17
See if the router has a QOS function on it and using that limit the effect that the xbox has on your system

LazyBones
23-04-2010, 16:20
I've rung VM and they suggested upgrading to the 50 meg service and then there shouldn't be a problem with 4 Xbox and 2 laptops connecting at the same time.
Going to ring BT though and see what their cheapest deal is for a line and broadband just so I can use the connection upstairs.
Thanks for the replies and advice.

Kymmy
23-04-2010, 16:23
No probs.. I hope you do get it sorted.. :tu: