PDA

View Full Version : 50mb Issues Again

zerolight
20-04-2010, 07:47
Hi guys,

So when I first got my 50mb I was constantly getting disconnected and needed to reboot the modem, and rarely got the promised 50mb. I came on hear and showed off my up and down stream information and was promptly told to get an engineer out because the SNR ratio on my upstream was way off.

So the engineer came out, put an amp in, and everything was sorted. 50mb was great. All was well.

Then 6 months later my V+ box started playing up, so CS sent a signal down the line and that resolved the problem - she says it was a software update? I know, totally unrelated, but since then I've been having to reboot my cable modem a couple of times a day as it drops the connection. I'm getting between 5mb and 20mb at the best of times, but often pages barely load, or take a long time. It's really frustrating!

I've attached my up and down stuff from this morning after another reboot to see if anyone see's anything odd there? Thanks.

Graham.

http://grab.by/3SyT

http://grab.by/3SyS

Peter_
20-04-2010, 08:44
You need an engineer as you downstreams all should be at around the same levels and as you can see above downstream 2 is at 15.38 which is way to high and downstream 1 is on the high side.

I would call the 50Mb Support line on 0800 052 0431 and they will send out an engineer and if required he will raise it to Networks.

If you click on this link you see my Sticky regarding 50Mb power levels.

STICKY (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34896851-post3.html)

zerolight
20-04-2010, 09:36
Thanks. Called VM - they're sending a router out this eve! Excellent service. Thanks for your help Masque. I'll post back later.

I take it that a new router couldn't affect the power levels? I replaced my router recently. That said, even a direct connection to my modem seems to be problematic, and certainly gets nowhere near 50mb.

Ignitionnet
20-04-2010, 14:09
Thanks. Called VM - they're sending a router out this eve! Excellent service. Thanks for your help Masque. I'll post back later.

I take it that a new router couldn't affect the power levels? I replaced my router recently. That said, even a direct connection to my modem seems to be problematic, and certainly gets nowhere near 50mb.

A router will fix absolutely nothing. That isn't excellent service it's a clueless response from a clueless tech support agent incapable of reading the stats on their screen which would tell them your modem is outside power specifications.

The amplifier that is on your line is messing up the 'slope' on your connection causing a massive power spike on some frequencies and others to be as normal. They need to fix your connection properly rather than the bodge job they did previously.

You need an onsite engineer and either to be moved to a lower rated tap in the cabinet or alternatively have thicker cable installed between you and the cabinet.

jb66
20-04-2010, 15:04
A router will fix absolutely nothing. That isn't excellent service it's a clueless response from a clueless tech support agent incapable of reading the stats on their screen which would tell them your modem is outside power specifications.

The amplifier that is on your line is messing up the 'slope' on your connection causing a massive power spike on some frequencies and others to be as normal. They need to fix your connection properly rather than the bodge job they did previously.

You need an onsite engineer and either to be moved to a lower rated tap in the cabinet or alternatively have thicker cable installed between you and the cabinet.

What would installing thicker cable do?

Ignitionnet
20-04-2010, 16:05
What would installing thicker cable do?

Reduce the attenuation, the power loss between home and cabinet meaning the modem doesn't have to transmit at such a high power level.

I assume that the modem is quite a way from the cabinet at the end of a long cable run so it could potentially make a fair difference. If the modem isn't that far away the network itself needs some adjustment as it's lined up wrong.

http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html

jb66
20-04-2010, 18:34
Reduce the attenuation, the power loss between home and cabinet meaning the modem doesn't have to transmit at such a high power level.

I assume that the modem is quite a way from the cabinet at the end of a long cable run so it could potentially make a fair difference. If the modem isn't that far away the network itself needs some adjustment as it's lined up wrong.

http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html

52 is fine though for an upstream power level

Ignitionnet
20-04-2010, 18:38

Read the rest of the thread.

jb66
20-04-2010, 19:03
Could you give me some Education? In my area I rarlely see rg11 as the network where I work is sid architecture

zerolight
20-04-2010, 19:23
Sorry. That was a typo. It wasn't a router they were sending it was an engineer. I had routers on my mind when I typed as I was worried my router had fudged something. He came, found that the frequencies at the modem didn't match up with v+ box or something - my wife was at home. Anyway, the power levels are now in the mid 2s and the connection appears stable.

on in an hour!
20-04-2010, 19:30

sounds like OP is sorted now but just to put you right jb,upstream transmit power level at 52dbmv (to futureproof them) is now considered as the highest acceptable level for any CPE to be locking on at (ex-ntl NW) ;)

this is what we are being told to strive to achieve when we visit fault calls.;)

Peter_
20-04-2010, 19:36
Sorry. That was a typo. It wasn't a router they were sending it was an engineer. I had routers on my mind when I typed as I was worried my router had fudged something. He came, found that the frequencies at the modem didn't match up with v+ box or something - my wife was at home. Anyway, the power levels are now in the mid 2s and the connection appears stable.
Nice one good to see that you are sorted.;)

jb66
20-04-2010, 20:24
sounds like OP is sorted now but just to put you right jb,upstream transmit power level at 52dbmv (to futureproof them) is now considered as the highest acceptable level for any CPE to be locking on at (ex-ntl NW) ;)

this is what we are being told to strive to achieve when we visit fault calls.;)

where I am (sid architecture) network techs aren't interested in power levels unless they are over 50 at the tap

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

50 meg upstream is a diffrent frequency to the v+ box as the v+ shares frequency with m l and xl bb. I've seen a v+ lock on at 49db and the 50 meg at 58db off the same splitter

Peter_
20-04-2010, 20:27
50 meg upstream is a diffrent frequency to the v+ box as the v+ shares frequency with m l and xl bb. I've seen a v+ lock on at 49db and the 50 meg at 58db off the same splitter
At 58 though the 50Mb connection will be rather shaky and prone to issues.

jb66
20-04-2010, 20:31
At 58 though the 50Mb connection will be rather shaky and prone to issues.

It was, at first I thaught it was the modem as I used the v+ as a comparison while the laptop was being booted up, then discovered but it was a network fault

Ignitionnet
21-04-2010, 07:51
Could you give me some Education? In my area I rarlely see rg11 as the network where I work is sid architecture

Sure, he mentioned in the first post that a drop amp was fitted, this is the only reason he is on 52dBmV return power. The amp seems to be doing some bad things to his forward slope looking at his downstream power.