PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem RDY Light Flashing

VirginMedia_Gav
17-04-2010, 11:47
Hello All,

I have resorted to using this forum as Virgin Media technical support is far from useful.

I have been experiencing issues with my Cable broadband & TV since last Sunday. And their only response is "We will send an engineer" - I work all week so this is not that convenient.

I work in IT and believe that this isnt a cabling fault but one at their end. I have included the logs from my Cable modem below.

Basically my internet is work, then it will drop with the RDY light just flashing on the modem, sync light stays on and Eth light stay on. This is the small black Virgin media modem. I have 10MB Broadband with them. One thing to note is that every time this happens the "Online" light on my cable TV also starts flashing. So the 2 must be linked.

Time Not Established Time Not Established Error (4) ToD request sent- No Response received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) The s/w filename specified in the config file is the same as ...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) A software upgrade filename was specified in the config file.
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Authorized
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Registration complete!
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) We registered with a DOCSIS 1.1 config file!
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Received a REG-RSP message from the CMTS...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Sending a REG-REQ to the CMTS...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) CableModem SNMP configure complete
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) IP init completed ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) CableModem TFTP init ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Error (4) ToD request sent- No Response received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) CableModem DHCP client init ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

On the operational config part of the modem, when the error occurs, I get Network Access: Denied When working it says Allowed.

Current status when working:

Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquire a Downstream Channel 402750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational

Upstream bursts

Req

Init Maint

Per Maint

Short Data

Long Data

(1)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)
Modulation Type QPSK QPSK QPSK QPSK QPSK
Differential Encoding Off Off Off Off Off
Preamble Length 64 128 128 100 80
Preamble Value Offset 396 6 6 396 396
FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 3 9
FEC Codeword Information Bytes (k) 16 34 34 78 232
Scrambler Seed 338 338 338 338 338
Maximum Burst Size 0 0 0 35 254
Guard Time Size 8 48 48 25 134
Last Codeword Length Fixed Fixed Fixed Short Short
Scrambler on/off On On On On On

Could someone please help or at least backup my theory that the issue is at their end?

pip08456
17-04-2010, 11:57
"Their end" could be the street cab/ internal/external wiring etc so an engineer call would seem logical as tech support do have tools to check your line when you phone and would have done so from "their end"

jb66
17-04-2010, 16:06
It sounds like your upstream power level is too high if both go off at the same time, you will need an engineer to do some tweaking.

Can you confirm?

I'm gussing it wil be 60 to 61db when online

haydnwalker
17-04-2010, 16:09
I have the same issue but not had the chance to phone up yet...It seems to happen mainly in the evenings though, and is usually fine during the day.

deed02392
18-04-2010, 01:21
I have this same issue too, Portsmouth PO4. Visited a friend this evening and noticed his ready light was flashing, although he was able to browse without issues. Interesting...

haydnwalker
18-04-2010, 10:29
I phoned up just now and ive got an engineer appointment for tomorrow...

Neil22
18-04-2010, 11:08
I phoned up just now and ive got an engineer appointment for tomorrow...

What number did you ring? I've been trying to get in touch with them for over an hour. All I get is India.

deed02392
18-04-2010, 17:12
What number did you ring? I've been trying to get in touch with them for over an hour. All I get is India.

How is 'getting India' not getting in touch with them? They are perfectly capable of arranging an engineer visit for you.

Peter_
18-04-2010, 19:28
Sunday is Scotland and India no other UK centres are open.

You want a engineer you speak to whoever answers the phone to day as per Haydenwalker above.;)

jb66
18-04-2010, 20:45
If you say the ready light is flashing on your modem and you get error 1021 on your stb when watching catchup even india will arrange an engineer

haydnwalker
19-04-2010, 09:19
I phoned 151 - I did speak to an Indian chappy, but he was very nice, and he firstly wanted to send me a new modem out, but when I suggested that I might need an engineer to do some "tweaks" he happily agreed to arrange one for me as he did admit it was a more likely course of action, though they usually send new modems first.

Peter_
19-04-2010, 09:46
I phoned 151 - I did speak to an Indian chappy, but he was very nice, and he firstly wanted to send me a new modem out, but when I suggested that I might need an engineer to do some "tweaks" he happily agreed to arrange one for me as he did admit it was a more likely course of action, though they usually send new modems first.
OH Dear! no we do not unless it is an antique, we would more likely send an engineer than a modem.

haydnwalker
19-04-2010, 09:50
That's ok...he did arrange the engineer (my modems only 6-12 months old a Ambit 255) so I'll let you know how it goes on.

Peter_
19-04-2010, 09:52
That's ok...he did arrange the engineer (my modems only 6-12 months old a Ambit 255) so I'll let you know how it goes on.
I thought Ambit 255's were around 2/3 years old. does it have a USB slot on the back if not its an Ambit 256.

haydnwalker
19-04-2010, 09:56
Oh...well its the 256 then cos theres no USB...and when I say its that old...I mean I've had it that long...no telling how long the engineer had it in his van :)

Peter_
19-04-2010, 10:01
Oh...well its the 256 then cos theres no USB...and when I say its that old...I mean I've had it that long...no telling how long the engineer had it in his van :)
It will not be very old so the engineer will be able to see if the is an issue on Wednesday.

haydnwalker
19-04-2010, 10:11
The engineer is coming today :) between 12 and 4pm :)

Peter_
19-04-2010, 10:13
The engineer is coming today :) between 12 and 4pm :)
THe Wednesday guy is in a 50Mb thread, you did say yesterday it was today.:D