PDA

View Full Version : Say NO to 100Mbps

telfordcable
16-04-2010, 22:48
I, myself don't want 100Mbps and do not wish VM to roll out 100Mbps by end of the year, what the point ? Youtubes video, HD, surf the net, is more than enough with 10 to 50Mbps. But, why need 100Mbps ? I am happy with 10Mbps service with £16 a month for L size broadband only!

I want VM to sort out UBR in all nationwide first! Fixed is top priority list not 100Mbps!

Peter_
16-04-2010, 22:56
Well that is not going to happen as it is a commercial decision that will earn Virginmedia money.:)

When you posted earlier you still had 50Mb in your services list.;)

telfordcable
16-04-2010, 22:59
I don't have 50Mb service anymore as I am not paying £38 a month for 50Mb!

Peter_
16-04-2010, 23:00
I don't have 50Mb service anymore as I am not paying £38 a month for 50Mb!
Just wondering when you downgraded as you would have been in contract.:)

telfordcable
16-04-2010, 23:02
not really, my contract is already out of 12 months. i am still on 30 days roll on contract.

Peter_
16-04-2010, 23:03
not really, my contract is already out of 12 months. i am still on 30 days roll on contract.
At least you seem to have a good deal.;)

telfordcable
16-04-2010, 23:07
Yes I did have a good deal but they told me after October 2010 my price for 10Mb will return to £20 standard price.

Peter_
16-04-2010, 23:08
Yes I did have a good deal but they told me after October 2010 my price for 10Mb will return to £20 standard price.
Still a better deal than most and of course you get all support for free.

sollp
16-04-2010, 23:22
Oh dear, honestly, there is no pleasing some people. If your happy with 10Mb then stick with it, hardly a call for stopping 100Mb+ speeds!

telfordcable
16-04-2010, 23:23
I use to have BT ADSL as it was the worse service on BT line, (dreading that awful ip profile rate at 6000k) and drop to 5000k in bad weather. My exchange never had any LLU isps at all, no ADSL2+ date as this is why I choose cable broadband and always steady at 9.87Mbps (before was 51.42Mbps on 50Mbps almost every days for 8 months)

hifi2007
16-04-2010, 23:37
sorry to say but if its a free upgrade from 50Mbps to 100Mbps
im saying yes lol
if not a free upgrade then ill prob have a think about it and still say yes lol
bring it on i say

Peter_
16-04-2010, 23:49
sorry to say but if its a free upgrade from 50Mbps to 100Mbps
im saying yes lol
if not a free upgrade then ill prob have a think about it and still say yes lol
bring it on i say
It will not be free as they will want profit but the should not be an installation charge if you are already on 50Mb.

Tony.
17-04-2010, 00:06
I don't have a problem with VM offering 100 meg however I do believe the upload across all tiers should be increased before any new BB product is rolled out. What is the point of 100 down and 2 up?

hifi2007
17-04-2010, 00:08
thanks for the info Masque
as long as it wasn't too much more i prob will be upgrading
if its between £10-£15 more on top of my bill i will be getting it
im just loving my 50Mbps connection,it has never been so solid and stable
and sinse ive had it ive had very little problems with it
unlike the 20Mbps i was on.
this gives me hope for the 100Mbps as i think that will be just as stable
heres hoping anyways.
its not the fact that i download loads anymore but i just find it great that when i do decide to download im getting at speeds that i pay for .
online gaming is so much better now too

AntiSilence
17-04-2010, 00:13
I'm happy with my VM 20Mb connection :) I don't need 100Mb either. I would prefer some more upload bandwidth, but other than that, I'm happy.

jtaylor06
17-04-2010, 00:20
I'm happy with a service that is not too slow and reliable.
Which is both what I'm getting with 20mb/s now.

Upload is adequate, at least it is not something like 56Kbps :)

No. 10
17-04-2010, 00:27
hi,

not long here,

with my post code ML6 9EG, what is the chance of near to the 50meg? wireless will give me close to the 20meg, brilliant, wired, alot higher pings and slower results of about 8-10meg slower than the wireless connection,??? 1mtr away from router hard wired, all drivers and such updated...? Any idea? BTW never had issue with connection, just wondering? Although, have had quite alot of lags on xbox live w/l then kicked off?

telfordcable
17-04-2010, 00:27
i was hoping to see 10Mbps downstream, 5Mbps upstream for L, 20Mbps downstream, 10Mbps upstream for XL, 50Mbps downstream, 25Mbps upstream for XXL !

moaningmags
17-04-2010, 00:31
telfordcable what happened to the really bad traffic management you said we were getting last September?

jtaylor06
17-04-2010, 01:28
Contradiction?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33662018-virgin-to-launch-100mbit-product-2010-a-post-34970615.html#post34970615

Scar7humb
17-04-2010, 01:51
I have 50 meg and its been on/off so much that to be honest i'm gutted and will probably switch providers (BT 50meg?) so i think first they need to make 50meg stable for all people before rolling out 100meg.Chances are it'll be pushed back for ages though i'd guess as most things are in the uk so i would be surprised to see this by 2012 but either way if it doesnt work now then its to soon for then.

Ben B
17-04-2010, 01:52
VM is good they will get 100mb to work just need time to sort stuff out

frogstamper
17-04-2010, 04:37
I'm happy with my VM 20Mb connection :) I don't need 100Mb either. I would prefer some more upload bandwidth, but other than that, I'm happy.

You beat me to it AntiSilence, give me more upload anyday. I've no doubt a lot of people will get the new speed just so they can say "I've got 100mb BB"...to be honest I really can't see why 100mb is necessary, surely 50mb is plenty.
Unless of course its a case of, "if they are offering it I'm having it":)

Ignitionnet
17-04-2010, 08:36
I, myself don't want 100Mbps and do not wish VM to roll out 100Mbps by end of the year, what the point ? Youtubes video, HD, surf the net, is more than enough with 10 to 50Mbps. But, why need 100Mbps ? I am happy with 10Mbps service with £16 a month for L size broadband only!

I want VM to sort out UBR in all nationwide first! Fixed is top priority list not 100Mbps!

Bored are we? Last time I saw you you were pretending you had 50Mbps that wasn't working properly by posting fictional power levels. It would appear that it was not only working properly but also came without the 12 month contract most people's XXL has.

Anyway the 100Mbps upgrade will fix capacity issues as extra capacity is needed to provide 100Mbps.

It seems likely that upstream will go to 10% of downstream.

deed02392
18-04-2010, 01:25
thanks for the info Masque
as long as it wasn't too much more i prob will be upgrading
if its between £10-£15 more on top of my bill i will be getting it
im just loving my 50Mbps connection,it has never been so solid and stable
and sinse ive had it ive had very little problems with it
unlike the 20Mbps i was on.
this gives me hope for the 100Mbps as i think that will be just as stable
heres hoping anyways.
its not the fact that i download loads anymore but i just find it great that when i do decide to download im getting at speeds that i pay for .
online gaming is so much better now too

Damn you lucky DOCSIS 3 users.

---------- Post added at 01:25 ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 ----------

You beat me to it AntiSilence, give me more upload anyday. I've no doubt a lot of people will get the new speed just so they can say "I've got 100mb BB"...to be honest I really can't see why 100mb is necessary, surely 50mb is plenty.
Unless of course its a case of, "if they are offering it I'm having it":)

To fill your bargain 2TB hard drives with pirated material no doubt.

Bengie
18-04-2010, 09:06

How selfish can you get. "I don't want it so no one should have it".

If you didn't want sliced bread does that mean they should stop making it for everyone else.

broadbandking
18-04-2010, 09:17
Not with the new digital bill. lol :D

I personally don't need 50Mb let alone 100Mb but when I do, I will be happy to upgrade and lets face it technology has to move forward. TC how I have missed your posts, why can't VM release it, plus there are alot more areas that get full speed and have no issues than there are areas with speed issues.

bbxxl
18-04-2010, 13:03

I, myself don't want 10Mbps and think VM should stop providing it.

Bring on 100Mbps

;)

Sirius
18-04-2010, 13:21

You honestly think anyone on this forum or at VM give a hoot what you think ????

Looking at you past history here and your known bending of the truth by a long way, why do you think anyone would listen to you anyway.

Jayster
18-04-2010, 14:09
i was hoping to see 10Mbps downstream, 5Mbps upstream for L, 20Mbps downstream, 10Mbps upstream for XL, 50Mbps downstream, 25Mbps upstream for XXL !

Lol dream on mate

Stuart
18-04-2010, 14:18

Unlikely to happen. Even with services like Facebook, flickr and Youtube encouraging uploads, most people don't upload that much.

|Kippa|
18-04-2010, 14:47
I say NO to 100Mbps and YES to 200Mpbs! :D I wonder how much VM will charge for the new tier.

telfordcable
18-04-2010, 15:15
I say NO to 100Mbps and YES to 200Mpbs! :D I wonder how much VM will charge for the new tier.

£200 a month for 200Meg! :-)

Spectato
18-04-2010, 15:26
Try handcuffing yourself to the doors of their head office, or maybe a hunger strike.
Not much point campaigning here, as CF users tend to be somewhat rational, and in the very nature of the forum, have a propensity for.... fast cable broadband connections! :doh:

Impz2002
18-04-2010, 16:29

You seem to be so "anti" 100meg etc but the technology used to provide these speeds is also needed to offer a sustainable service with faster uploads. We all know VM's network can potentially handle higher downstream rates and the launch of these type of products will force VM to make the required investments in the plant to also support faster upstreams. I think over time the need for higher speeds in both directions will force VM's hand. At the moment the voice of those that want these services are not loud enough for VM to make them a priority over other investment but this will change soon enough.

You may not want or see a need for 100meg and frankly I am happy enough with my 20meg downstream at present but could very much use a faster upload.

Time will tell but with faster downstreams comes faster upstreams and with both of those comes the potential service improvements that the technology used to deliver these services brings, if you get my drift.

thats my 2p anyways.

Impz

deed02392
18-04-2010, 17:33
Before long some cable company will make the move to start pushing better uploads. I expect before that happens, though, more broadband users are going to need to be educated on the difference that will make.

I can already imagine a good advertising campaign:

25Mbps broadband INCLUDING 5Mbps upload!

Less savvy users will think they're getting 30Mbps (when they're getting 25 down and 5 up) whereas the savvy users will still see it as a great deal, as there's a 99% chance they will want to see that upload speed on their package.

Tarantella
18-04-2010, 18:32
When 100mb arrives 50mb may well be STM capped.

speedfreak
18-04-2010, 19:14

nooooooooooooooooo that would force me to move up the speed/price ladder and thats what makes me think you could be right :( I dont even use that much but Id hate to be managed when I want to game, hence the 50meg :(

Peter_
18-04-2010, 19:16
For what reason as it is a separate Docsis to the lower tiers that are traffic managed.

speedfreak
18-04-2010, 19:29
For what reason as it is a separate Docsis to the lower tiers that are traffic managed.

will it not happen then? as its pretty much my only reason for having the 50 service

Peter_
18-04-2010, 19:30
will it not happen then? as its pretty much my only reason for having the 50 service
As I am not senior management I cannot answer that but I rather doubt it as they would lose custom.

speedfreak
18-04-2010, 19:36
As I am not senior management I cannot answer that but I rather doubt it as they would lose custom.

would they though? Like I said I'd feel "forced" to move up a level. I hope Im not giving any bigwigs reading this any ideas though :D

Telford you do seem quite bitter :erm:

telfordcable
19-04-2010, 02:22

I think STM should be scrap now as our latest traffic management still unchanged and no updated since last year on the 12th May 2009 (almost nearly a year since last updated)

frogstamper
19-04-2010, 05:01
Damn you lucky DOCSIS 3 users.

---------- Post added at 01:25 ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 ----------

To fill your bargain 2TB hard drives with pirated material no doubt.

So your calling me a thief then? I wouldn't judge others by your own crappy standards mate.
Or are you one of those little boys who come on forum sites just to troll..?
You've got some nerve boy.:mad::mad:

Sirius
19-04-2010, 06:35
So your calling me a thief then? I wouldn't judge others by your own crappy standards mate.
Or are you one of those little boys who come on forum sites just to troll..?
You've got some nerve boy.:mad::mad:

:clap:

Well said

broadbandking
19-04-2010, 07:07
I think STM should be scrap now as our latest traffic management still unchanged and no updated since last year on the 12th May 2009 (almost nearly a year since last updated)

So because the STM hasn't changed in a year they need to scrap it, plus if they did wouldn't that make all areas go really overloaded?

Ignitionnet
19-04-2010, 11:23

So no 100Mbps due to quality of service needing to be fixed but there's clearly enough capacity there to remove STM. Makes perfect sense to me.

If you could just make a single post that made something like vague sense to a sane human being that would be appreciated. Make your post, read it before you hit 'Submit Reply', then read it again and think to yourself 'Would anyone not of my mindset actually make any sense out of this.'. If in doubt don't hit submit.

Chrysalis
19-04-2010, 11:30
if they attempt to roll this out in my area I will laugh so hard.

crazy!!!!

telfordcable
19-04-2010, 23:47
I am crazy :)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/04/32.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

xpod
20-04-2010, 00:16
Speaking about crazy people i`m actually quite proud of myself when it comes to the latest fastest connections.....
I swore that this time i wouldn`t upgrade to the latest fastest speed and i`ve actually managed to keep my word this time.....so far anyway.
The 20Mb has been more than adequate for us, even though there are a few of us who can be using the connection, with umpteen computers, consoles & hand held devices often online at the same time.

I`ve fortunately never experienced the joys of dial up or indeed any of the other antiquated connections some of you old timers have used in the past but even the smallest i`ve had....the 1Mb, was perfectly usable. It was more usable than the 20Mb at times in fact, when we still had both that is(that i do miss).
I swore our first upgrade to the 4Mb was going to be our one & only speed upgrade and then i said the upgrade to 10Mb would be more than we ever needed but because i eventually ended up being offered the 20Mb for less than the 10Mb was going for at that time so i just couldn`t refuse.....something like that anyway.

frogstamper
20-04-2010, 01:56
Speaking about crazy people i`m actually quite proud of myself when it comes to the latest fastest connections.....
I swore that this time i wouldn`t upgrade to the latest fastest speed and i`ve actually managed to keep my word this time.....so far anyway.
The 20Mb has been more than adequate for us, even though there are a few of us who can be using the connection, with umpteen computers, consoles & hand held devices often online at the same time.

I`ve fortunately never experienced the joys of dial up or indeed any of the other antiquated connections some of you old timers have used in the past but even the smallest i`ve had....the 1Mb, was perfectly usable. It was more usable than the 20Mb at times in fact, when we still had both that is(that i do miss).
I swore our first upgrade to the 4Mb was going to be our one & only speed upgrade and then i said the upgrade to 10Mb would be more than we ever needed but because i eventually ended up being offered the 20Mb for less than the 10Mb was going for at that time so i just couldn`t refuse.....something like that anyway.

Well said, I too have resisted the overwelming urge to go from 20mb to 50mb when in all honesty it wouldn't make a lot of difference in our household.
20mb does the job for two laptops a desktop and an xbox perfectly well, its all to easy to convince yourself that in my case anyway, 50mb is "only" another £8pm so why not?
I've already fallen for that logic from the kids all the way up to the VIP package, "its "only" a few more quid for the sports dad, we'd be mad not to get it". So like yourself xpod I expect the next big family push will be over the upcoming 100mb...god help us.:D

Peter_
20-04-2010, 07:25

#
So many comments so little time.:D:D:D:D:D

xpod
20-04-2010, 10:29
Well said, I too have resisted the overwelming urge to go from 20mb to 50mb when in all honesty it wouldn't make a lot of difference in our household.
20mb does the job for two laptops a desktop and an xbox perfectly well, its all to easy to convince yourself that in my case anyway, 50mb is "only" another £8pm so why not?
I've already fallen for that logic from the kids all the way up to the VIP package, "its "only" a few more quid for the sports dad, we'd be mad not to get it". So like yourself xpod I expect the next big family push will be over the upcoming 100mb...god help us.:D

The Logic in question was not so much to do with the kids in our case as it was me.........they were my excuse for needing to upgrade of course.The large family has been my justification for many computer/Internet related problems, when it comes to the dreaded WAF anyway.....the Wife Acceptance Factor.:D

The only time i ever had noticeable problems with any connection speed though was when i was sitting doing speed/download test`s every 5 minutes(mainly after the 20Mb upgrade).......now that i rarely bother with the things i never see quite as many issues.:)
I`m sure it would be great sitting watching all those potential Gigabytes of data downloading at 6250 Kbp/s but the relatively small amount i do download is generally done through the wee small hours so even the actual downloading itself is not something that matters one way or another.

Ignitionnet
20-04-2010, 14:02

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/04/32.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I wonder where you found that test to copy/paste here, though I also wonder what it has to do with this ridiculous thread.

NoxBlade
21-04-2010, 09:18
i went for 50mbit not because of the download (not many sites actually support a 1:1 50mbit download at this current time.(let alone 100mbit lol)

But Because of the size of my family i choose is so multi streaming can be alot easier.
As you guys know virgin asks you to test by downloading 3-4 files adding them together then x it by 8, practically same scenario for my family lol.

my family is pretty large and we all use the internet for all sorts of things, gaming streaming movies via netflix, to my old man who uses it for video conferencing

On average we will have atleast 4 bits of hardware using the internet at any one time.
The second benefit of 50mbit was the traffic allowance being unlimited, we use to get capped ALL the time because of the broadband use we use.

So 100mbit? if they offered it to us as an upgrade with the price the same or a tad higher (assuming virgin will be trying to keep a 3 tier package system) then we probably will upgrade but we havent had any problems yet

Its also a extra benefit (in my position) as i try and host alot and hopefully 100mbit will get some nice upload, (the idea of showing of my speedtest with 100mbit to the yanks is worth the money it self lol!¬

edit. Virgin really need to improve the upload speed, recently someone posted there speed https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/04/30.png

virgin really needs to up its game!.

AntiSilence
21-04-2010, 13:15
I`ve fortunately never experienced the joys of dial up or indeed any of the other antiquated connections some of you old timers have used in the past...

Really?? Yikes. I got my first modem in 1995 and it was a Hayes Accura 14.4kbps and I used to run a dial-up BBS with that (and was a FidoNet mail node too) lol. My first internet was actually (and shamefully) AOL but there were no free ones at the time.

I then moved to Freeserve and got a 56k modem, then NTLWorld free dial-up came along in 1999 and I had that for a while.

I was really happy when I got the 128Kbps cable modem installed lol.

crazyronnie
21-04-2010, 21:11
100mb internet...Yes We Can!!!!

xpod
22-04-2010, 00:10
Really?? Yikes. I got my first modem in 1995 and it was a Hayes Accura 14.4kbps and I used to run a dial-up BBS with that (and was a FidoNet mail node too) lol. My first internet was actually (and shamefully) AOL but there were no free ones at the time.

I then moved to Freeserve and got a 56k modem, then NTLWorld free dial-up came along in 1999 and I had that for a while.

Yup....Really....:)
I was a actually bit of a Neanderthal who managed to avoid having computers & Internet until eventually being overruled by the wife & kids back in 2006. Right away though the prospect of my girls being let loose on the big bad web, as it was to me at that point, terrified me into learning how to use the things ......at least enough to hopefully better understand what the kids were doing. Needless to say that most of those fears i had were all completely unfounded and it was just me being a bit of stubborn git all along.
It was actually the continued stubborness that prompted the wife into taking a friends old Desktop while i was at work one day ...i came home to the thing sitting there, staring at me.
Unbeknown to me at that time i was about to spend the next four months learning how to undo every bit of the mess the previous owners had created before eventually realizing what that i386 directory on the C drive could be used for. The day after re-installing that XP installation with a 98 boot disk and the non bootable CD i`d burnt the i386 directory onto i Stumbled across Linux.
A week later the XP installation was surplus to requirements.

I came so close on a number of occasions during those first months to lobbing that Windows machine out the damn window and heading off to PCWorld. Again though my own stubbornness prevailed and it was still nearly another year before i bought our first new computer. Again it was the family that bent my arm to start buying some new computers for us all or i`d have happily continued with the umpteen rescued ones we had around by then. :angel:

tweetiepooh
22-04-2010, 12:02

14k is fast. I started at 300baud. You couldn't quite type that fast.

First real use of the interwebby thing would be working at a hospital attached to university on SuperJanet. That was fast, really fast.

And the good old days of Compuserve, we had the full premium package to get to the tech help sections.

Then back to 9.6kb when I left.

jenzo
22-04-2010, 12:39
Doe anyone think Virgin will move the scale up so us on 10meg are moved up to 20meg without a price increase?

I'd vote for that!

Ignitionnet
22-04-2010, 13:02
Doe anyone think Virgin will move the scale up so us on 10meg are moved up to 20meg without a price increase?

I'd vote for that!

No.

Chrysalis
22-04-2010, 13:28

I'd vote for that!

The problem when VM do things like this is they double the contention ratio in such a move unless capacity doubles as well.

Looking at the current market I would guess the 10meg is competing well against budget 8mbit adsl products althought there is some providers selling adsl2+ for silly prices so I guess it wont be impossible.

I suspect knowing VM's past behaviour when 100mbit is launched then free scale up's wont be too far behind.