PDA

View Full Version : Installations

DigitalShadow
15-04-2010, 19:49
I'm having a second V+ box installed and it is going into the loft conversion, so quite a way up, would they have a problem with going up so high? I know some private antenna and satellite fitters don't like going too high.

Do you think the engineer would be willing to run a second cable so I can move the V+ box to the bedroom if I wanted to watch a film in bed? Perhaps for a little cash in hand?

on in an hour!
15-04-2010, 20:00
yes,height could be a problem but your more immediate concern should be if theyve any way of drilling out of the loft so they can route the cable from your external termination box,or if its easier,split the feed from the original box.

it sounds like the poor installer is gonna have his hands full already,without the added 'bonus' of you asking him to do a foreigner!!

as regards height,considering there is a good place for them to drill,its easy enough to feed the cable from the loft out of the drilled hole then the chap on the ladders just goes to a safe height and clips to the mortar line from there.

it may mean some loose cable but this (if the cable is indeed to run outside) is the only safe option ;)

DigitalShadow
15-04-2010, 20:18
Yeah easy to drill out from the inside, there is an access area, I hope they don't blow the face of a brick off when they are drilling, I would rather they did a tiny pilot hole, then drilled from the outside in.

I've already got the cable route planned and if there is a problem with the route, then I will have to do it myself (didn't pay for installation so no loss) as really want the cable hidden. I would rather not have to do it myself as that would mean I would have to go buy a crimp tool, pliers never do a tidy job.

Perhaps I should go buy a long ladder and do a quick install...

on in an hour!
15-04-2010, 20:25
how can they drill a pilot hole from inside then drill from outside when its gonna be too high to even reach with ladders (im presuming its too high for ladders??) ;)

they carry triple ladders for installs but then again there are reg's to how many rungs you can have out on each preceding ladder.

DigitalShadow
15-04-2010, 22:58
I should measure it, I know some installers who won't use tripple extension ladders.

Peter_
15-04-2010, 23:26
You would be better routing the cabling inside then the will be no issue over height, my brother in law did this and the engineer was made up and did not even quibble about the installation in the loft.

calmpitbull
11-05-2010, 20:54
This shouldn't be a problem as they can feed the cable outside from the inside, then they can get a clip on the outside as high up as they can.

Worst case scenario is that the installer leaves you some cable and re-schedules the job, then in the meantime you fit the cable from A to B. Then the installer will come back and finish it off.

They will not fit you another point as you are only allowed the service in one fixed point. Why not use a wireless AV sender to send the picture to the other room.

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

I should measure it, I know some installers who won't use tripple extension ladders.

Those installers don't have a choice. It is their job!