PDA

View Full Version : Sam Knows Trials

Ed2020
14-04-2010, 17:50
Hi,

I've recently (finally!) been accepted on the speed trials Sam Knows are running. My router arrived today with instructions for settingbit up. What they've neglected to mention is the URL for the webpage for checking my personal stats. Does anyone know what it is please?

Ed

Sirius
14-04-2010, 18:07
Hi,

I've recently (finally!) been accepted on the speed trials Sam Knows are running. My router arrived today with instructions for settingbit up. What they've neglected to mention is the URL for the webpage for checking my personal stats. Does anyone know what it is please?

Ed

You will get an email from them shortly with the link to your states.

v0id
14-04-2010, 18:42
I thought the Samknows trial was only for twelve months, and ends this year :/

Ed2020
14-04-2010, 18:46
Thanks Sirius.

v0id - I was a little surprised to hear from them as I registered ages ago. I'd assumed I'd missed the boat. I thought it was only a fixed term thing too.

On a side note (and I know this is rather sad) but the Linksys router they send out is a sexy looking bit of kit. :)

Peter_
14-04-2010, 18:54
The is a new trial starting with different customers as per this one.;)

broadbandking
15-04-2010, 10:31
So many trials lol

WestYorks
19-04-2010, 18:38
Hi,

Ed

How did you go on with your wireless connection? Mine refuses to work at the moment, ive emailed them now asking for help

Cobbydaler
19-04-2010, 19:54
How did you go on with your wireless connection? Mine refuses to work at the moment, ive emailed them now asking for help

Worked fine with ours. We have nothing hardwired to our wireless router, so just plugged the samknows box into one of the router ports. Didn't need to change anything, wireless continued to operate as normal.

mersey70
19-04-2010, 20:06
Hi I was accepted onto the trial, I picked up the router from the post office sorting office on Saturday as I missed the delivery and connection wise everything is fine. I received an email today with my password to see my stats. My download speed results are noticably lower than any I have recorded on various speedtest sites but my upload speed results are higher than I can actually acheive on L BB!

raging bull
19-04-2010, 21:12
I have been on test for what seems ages.
Here I have 1 wired plus 2 laptops plus Wii, running pretty well.
Brian

looselipsuk
19-04-2010, 22:25
I am on the orginal trial and have for some while been having trouble with the test equipment stopping my downloads when it uploads. This is hourly.
Have been in touch with the team and despite trying several things the test equipment is still refusing to see when I am busy.
At the moment the unit is disconnected.
It has worked flawlessly until now and I think mine is a one off.
I think the original trial is expected to finish around July this year.

Hiroki
19-04-2010, 22:37
I have had the same problems so haven't had it plugged in since before xmas.

Anyone know how I return the router?

looselipsuk
19-04-2010, 22:49
That is very interesting news as I think that is about the same time mine started stopping my internet while it did it's 'thing'.
Makes me wonder then how many more people on the trial are experiencing the same problem?

gazfan
19-04-2010, 23:12
I've been on the original trial since July last year - only glitch, recently, was when we were away for 9 days & everything needed re-booting.

Jayster
21-04-2010, 20:55
Just got accepted onto the trial havent recieved the router yet should look well next to my wrt 320n. Although i probably i am to much of a heavy downloader for it.

Ed2020
21-04-2010, 21:52

Everything's working fine on mine. What are the symptoms? Do wired devices still work?

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Hi I was accepted onto the trial, I picked up the router from the post office sorting office on Saturday as I missed the delivery and connection wise everything is fine. I received an email today with my password to see my stats. My download speed results are noticably lower than any I have recorded on various speedtest sites but my upload speed results are higher than I can actually acheive on L BB!

My results are the same. They claim the device uses no more than 2GB per month. If this is the case then I think this is why the download results are a little low. When testing against speedtest.net or vm gamefiles my connection takes a few seconds for the speed to ramp up. My guess is the Samknows test transfers so little data each time that there isn't time for the download speeds to settle down.

Has anyone had the audio visual tests run yet? All the others have been running for me, but these have yet to run even once.

roughbeast
23-04-2010, 12:21
I have disconnected my SamKnows kit for two reasons.

1) The 5Mb upload trial has finished.

2) The router slowed down HD streaming between my Media Server and the TV screens. Films started to buffer or just froze. Service back to normal after disconnection. They need to send out gigabit ethernet kit when they start 100Mb and 200Mb trials in Coventry. A an additional port or two would be handy too.

Sending kit back should be easy. Just contact them and they should send you a return pack.

nick5466
23-04-2010, 14:49
They need to send out gigabit ethernet kit when they start 100Mb and 200Mb trials in Coventry. A an additional port or two would be handy too.

Any idea when this will start and how to get on the trial?

Thanks

Peter_
23-04-2010, 15:47
Any idea when this will start and how to get on the trial?

Thanks
By invite only and no idea of the start date.

roughbeast
24-04-2010, 08:08
By invite only and no idea of the start date.

Ditto to that.

I received no notification of the 5Mb upload trial. They sent remote changes to my modem config without telling me. They also ended the trial without telling me. I think they hoped I wouldn't notice the upload speed, therefore not cane it. They were wrong to hope. I spotted it and caned it, thus skewing their trial results no doubt.

The 100Mb or 200Mb trials must be fairly soon. (guessing) VM want to keep ahead of the market. Other ISPs, like BT, are snapping at their heels.

Ed2020
25-04-2010, 19:23
Has anyone had the audio visual tests run yet? All the others have been running for me, but these have yet to run even once.

Apparently these tests should be running in the next few days.

Nikolic
14-09-2010, 14:01
Sorry to bump an old thread but I thought these only trials were only running for a year? I've still got my box plugged in and everything - I totally forgot about it to be honest!

raging bull
14-09-2010, 15:23
Likewise!
Last I heard was trials to finish end of August.
Brian

Stephen
14-09-2010, 16:51
AFIK the trials are still ongoing. Mine is still connected too.

Sephiroth
14-09-2010, 21:16
Aren't VM going into the data collection business themselves using the same kit as SK?

gazfan
14-09-2010, 22:35
I contacted the trial team, recently, concerned that my participation on the trial had 'over-run' the 12 months I understood it was to run for.

Their reply was that they had decided to continue the trial, but if I wanted to finish they would send me a returns pack for the 'special' router they had supplied.

I took them up on the return & the router has now gone back.

I'd have been happy to continue if they had of communicated with me & asked if I would like to take part in an extension of the trial - to just expect me to carry on without even an email to say what they were doing wasn't professional, in my opinion.

looselipsuk
14-09-2010, 23:00
Some months ago I contacted them as I was having connection problems and was going to disconnect the kit.
Was told they would send out a returns pack but it has never arrived and the kit is still disconnected and already back in box ready to send.
I had just assumed they were not that bothered so have left it at that.
Maybe I should give them a nudge but they must know they are getting no data from it and been getting nothing for months?

Paul K
15-09-2010, 06:17
I got an email from them recently as for some reason mine had stopped sending data back, they sent out a small patch to run and now it's fine again. At a guess they only check every so often so may not have realised yet that yours is offline.

Peter_
30-09-2010, 17:12
I just received this email about the trial and they want to continue it for the foreseeable future.

Hi there,

We just wanted to get in touch to say a big Thank You to all our Sam Knows panellists for their help and support this last year – we are really, really grateful to you all.

You may already be aware, but we wanted to let everyone know that we’ve recently made the decision to carry on the Broadband Performance Trial as a Business As Usual activity. So for those of you who were wondering when the trial will end, the answer is “Never”! Well, never say never, but certainly not for the foreseeable future.

So, from now on we’ll be referring to you guys as our Broadband Performance Panel, rather than using the “Trial” or “Trialist” terminology.

We will also be refreshing our quarterly prize draws, not only to give you a better chance of winning, but also to update the prizes on offer – we recently gave away iPods to 7 lucky panellists, and we’re currently getting our hands on some iPads to give away in our next draws. All you have to do to qualify for inclusion in these draws is ensure your Panel equipment is connected to your home networking router and your home networking router and broadband modem are connected to the internet for not less than 70 hours per week. The easiest method to stay entitled to our regular prize draws is to plug everything in, switch it on, and leave it on.

The next prize draw is coming up in October, so good luck – it could be you!

We have updated the Panellist Agreement (formerly know as Terms and Conditions) to reflect the changes. You can find the updated agreement here;

www.virginmedia.com/panellistagreement (http://www.virginmedia.com/panellistagreement)

As always, you can get in touch at anytime to let us know what you think, ask questions, raise a fault with the units, advise us when you want to leave the panel, or anything else you want help with – just drop an email to;

trialsupport@virginmedia.co.uk (trialsupport@virginmedia.co.uk)

We aim to get back to you asap, but certainly within 3 working days.

Thanks again for your continued help and support!

Best Regards,

The Virgin Media Sam Knows Support Team

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/09/1.jpg

roughbeast
30-09-2010, 17:38
As a matter of interest have SamKnows upgraded the kit they send out yet? i.e. Gigabit technology

Peter_
30-09-2010, 17:41
As a matter of interest have SamKnows upgraded the kit they send out yet? i.e. Gigabit technology
Same kit, you could email them via the link above.

looselipsuk
30-09-2010, 19:25
A fair time ago I was having a problem where the kit was taking over my connection while it sent it's report and finding downloads stalled or web pages taking forever to upload.
Between us we tried many different things to resolve this and in the end a guy decided my original Virgin trial router was not up to the job and they would send me a replacement. He was over ruled on this after waiting awhile for it to never arrive after I contacted them again about it.
I told them I was disconnecting the kit as they could not honour what I had been told.
They never bothered to send out a collection package.
Recently I contacted them and said I would give it another try as they had not bothered to send out a returns package for which they apologised.
Worked fine for about a week and a half and then back to the same tricks of stalling downloads or stopping web pages loading while it took over my connection for data sending.
Contacted them again saying I was not going to continue giving it desk space as they had never honoured the origianl agreement to replace my Virgin router and it was playing up again. They said they would send out a returns package so I could send it back.
It is now 8 days later and still no returns pack.
What a shambles. It is all packed up and waiting to go, so now will be chucked in the back of a cupboard as I cannot be bothered to keep asking them to collect it.

beasty54
10-10-2010, 23:37
I received my kit about 6 months ago now and have not heard anything from the samknows team since. Ive had no emails telling me how to check my results and no emails since i unplugged it all 2 weeks ago.

raging bull
11-10-2010, 08:50
Beasty did you not receive an e mail from the team? (30th Sept)
(Quote) We just wanted to get in touch to say a big Thank You to all our Sam Knows panellists for their help and support this last year – we are really, really grateful to you all.

You may already be aware, but we wanted to let everyone know that we’ve recently made the decision to carry on the Broadband Performance Trial as a Business As Usual activity. So for those of you who were wondering when the trial will end, the answer is “Never”! Well, never say never, but certainly not for the foreseeable future.

So, from now on we’ll be referring to you guys as our Broadband Performance Panel, rather than using the “Trial” or “Trialist” terminology.

We will also be refreshing our quarterly prize draws, not only to give you a better chance of winning, but also to update the prizes on offer – we recently gave away iPods to 7 lucky panellists, and we’re currently getting our hands on some iPads to give away in our next draws. All you have to do to qualify for inclusion in these draws is ensure your Panel equipment is connected to your home networking router and your home networking router and broadband modem are connected to the internet for not less than 70 hours per week. The easiest method to stay entitled to our regular prize draws is to plug everything in, switch it on, and leave it on.

The next prize draw is coming up in October, so good luck – it could be you!

We have updated the Panellist Agreement (formerly know as Terms and Conditions) to reflect the changes. You can find the updated agreement here;

Peil
26-10-2010, 22:57
Sorry to bump an old(er) thread, but has anyone tried logging into the Samknows ***** to check their own results today?
I've tried with FF and IE, and it just keeps looping round on the login page

pip08456
26-10-2010, 23:24
I've just signed in with FF and no problem.

Peil
27-10-2010, 01:14
Odd one
I was told to login at https://ofc.pm.samknows.com/
I enter my username and password and now I get redirected to enter my password again at http://reporting.samknows.com/index.php/login and it tells me my username/password is invalid

pip08456
27-10-2010, 09:20
Try this one

https://ofc.pm.samknows.com/index.php/dashboard

Chrysalis
27-10-2010, 10:51
I badly want to be on this trial. Is no way to get on?

pip08456
27-10-2010, 11:17
You could try contacting them.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/contact

Peil
27-10-2010, 11:35
Try this one

https://ofc.pm.samknows.com/index.php/dashboard

Top man!

Now I need to work out why my 20mb line keeps dropping to 6mb every few hours - and no, I wasn't downloading

pip08456
27-10-2010, 12:22
Glad you got in at last.

Chrysalis
27-10-2010, 12:58
You could try contacting them.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/contact

indeed, I tried, you know a way without a broken captcha script?

pip08456
27-10-2010, 13:00
indeed, I tried, you know a way without a broken captcha script?

PM me you email and I will atempt to apply on your behalf if you wish.

EssDee
05-12-2010, 10:13
I received my kit about 6 months ago now and have not heard anything from the samknows team since. Ive had no emails telling me how to check my results and no emails since i unplugged it all 2 weeks ago.

I got included on the trial and plugged my SamKnows box in a week ago. I have not received an email from them yet about how to access my stats.

If there is anybody else out there in the same boat, just do what I did to expedite matters.... Go to the SamKnows 'forgot password' page at

http://reporting-uk.samknows.com/index.php/request_secret

and enter your email address that you registered with SamKnows. Then check your email!

Very happy with my 50Mb stats....:)

barnsley
05-12-2010, 15:33
Afternoon all,

I'm on the trial and have been since October. The stats are not looking too bad, we have had a few days where we have suffered from quite high packet loss (30%+). I did have all my kit contected via the Samknows router but it's only 10/100Mbps on the LAN and I run a 1Gbps LAN as the kids do massive amounts of streaming (video & music) from my NAS. So now the Samknows router is connected to an ethernet switch in my loft and only 1 PC is connected the Samknows router.

I enquired about joining the trial in September and after a few emails and speed checks was accepted on to the trial. I got the Linksys (Cisco) router in mid October, so I would say there is plenty of scope for others to join the trial subject to the ISP and package (I'm with VM 50Mbps service).

barnsley

pip08456
05-12-2010, 16:34
Samknows is only interested in your internet connection not your LAN nor how many PC's are connected.

pcoventry
05-12-2010, 17:23
Wow I forgot about this. I unplugged my kit about 6 months ago and put it under the stairs. They told me they would send me a bag and never did. It's the white box with the ariel right? Or it might have changed.

It's white cisco kit that I have...

Chrysalis
06-12-2010, 06:17
essdee how long did you wait to get accepted on the trial after the speedtest?

I am still waiting for 2 weeks now.

EssDee
09-12-2010, 23:28
Was about a couple of weeks IIRC.

Chrysalis
10-12-2010, 00:17
its looking more and more like they not interested in me testing, will fire of an email to them, I will of course discredit their speedtest data if I am rejected.

Astromanian
21-01-2011, 02:54
Hi, I have been having problems with my with my downstream and stumbled on "Sam knows" a while ago when things first started going pear-shaped.

I was given the usual run around by My ISP (Thus) and completely rewired the internal phone connections in my home and I am 100% confident with it's integrity. BT were useless and wanted £120 if they could not find a fault (i.e. as long as there is a dial tone - then No Fault Found) The problems returned last weekend (1.5 to 2MB) and I logged a fault with Demon.

I don't remember registering with "Sam Knows" but the very next day following reporting the fault I was invited and I accepted the trial. I thought this was curious....

Reading this thread it seems the trial has been running for a long time. What do I expect to gain/find out about participating in this trial? Is it safe? Will my security/data be compromised?

Apparently they are to send me a Linksys WRT160NL device Unit with it's routing functionality removed and it will act only as a "Bridge" plugged into my existing ADSL (Netgear) Router and will only monitor wired connections (I have 2) and 3 wi-fi connections + my blackberry

Any info would be appreciated.

Ian.

roughbeast
15-02-2013, 11:27
My white box arrived today. I have placed it between the SH in modem mode and my own router.

Firstly, I see that my downstream speed test results are now 20Mb less than usual via ethernet.

Secondly, they have sent me a TL-WR741ND instead of the WR1043ND. It is only 100Mb ethernet capable! Idiots! I specifically requested a gigabit router. I told them that I was being upgraded to 120Mb and that my house is wired for gigabit.

At the moment this will not affect my home network because that still runs through my WNDR3700 v1, but if I switch over to SH in full mode them my network will have to run through the Samknows white box too. In fact as soon as I get my trial SH that is exactly what I will be doing!

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/uploads/foundationmodule/SQ303-001-EN-Whitebox-Briefing-Fixed-D02.pdf

raging bull
15-02-2013, 15:26
Roughbeast: I take it then you haven't bothered to notify the samknows team then?
The team normally respond within a couple of days when notified of such errors.

thenry
15-02-2013, 16:23
my kit is on its way . thanks for the heads up beast. im thinking of upgrading too.

roughbeast
15-02-2013, 17:33
Roughbeast: I take it then you haven't bothered to notify the samknows team then?
The team normally respond within a couple of days when notified of such errors.

Thanks for the snotty reply. :td: For your information, I informed them straight away.

2 errors too many I'm afraid. This is a repeat of my experience 2 or 3 years ago when they failed to send me a gigabit box after I had requested one. Last time they failed to reply to my complaint and they didn't send a return bag. Last time I withdrew from the trial. I shall do the same this time if they don't respond promptly and offer a suitable whitebox.

raging bull
15-02-2013, 19:45
Wasn't aimed at been a 'snotty reply', just that in the past ''others'' didn't appreciate that any probs give samsknows team a shout first. I myself fell foul to that when I first signed up many months ago!

roughbeast
15-02-2013, 21:04
Wasn't aimed at been a 'snotty reply', just that in the past ''others'' didn't appreciate that any probs give samsknows team a shout first. I myself fell foul to that when I first signed up many months ago!

Explanation accepted. :) It came across as snotty.

So, I'm not the only one to find SamKnow a bit clumsy and slow off the mark.

Meanwhile I have removed the whitebox.

thenry
15-02-2013, 21:06
what different kit past and present do SamKnows supply?

raging bull
15-02-2013, 22:32
I'm using a Linksys wireless router (wireless G) no idea on model ref.

thenry
15-02-2013, 22:55
so SamKnow supply all sorts? are they loaded with custom firmware?

roughbeast
15-02-2013, 23:15
what different kit past and present do SamKnows supply?

I gave a link to the 2 current boxes in one of my comments just above. I can't recall the one they sent me 3 years ago.

thenry
15-02-2013, 23:37
the joys of being on a phone. .pdf reads take forever :(

data0002
16-02-2013, 10:15
Well got my white box today and it even a WR1043ND, all up and running, no let see how the speed goes

roughbeast
16-02-2013, 10:34
Well got my white box today and it even a WR1043ND, all up and running, no let see how the speed goes

So they do send out gigabit routers! Why didn't they send me one when I asked? Grrrr

data0002
16-02-2013, 11:08
May be they send out certain routers de-pending on your ISP speed and not your network, i am on VM 120/10 speed

roughbeast
16-02-2013, 11:28
May be they send out certain routers de-pending on your ISP speed and not your network, i am on VM 120/10 speed

I'm on 100/10 due to rise to 120/12 by April. I told them this.

qasdfdsaq
17-02-2013, 02:42
so SamKnow supply all sorts? are they loaded with custom firmware?
The current models are either the 841 or 1043. Previously IIRC a WRT54G was used and at some point a WRT160NL.

"Custom firmware" is generally Openwrt with a bunch of scripts loaded on it.

thenry
17-02-2013, 02:50
thanks Qas. are you on SamKnows or have you been? is SamKnows support responsive ?

Jayster
17-02-2013, 03:01
So they do send out gigabit routers! Why didn't they send me one when I asked? Grrrr

They sent me out a 10/100 device too =( I emailed them but have not received a reply yet.

qasdfdsaq
17-02-2013, 03:57
thanks Qas. are you on SamKnows or have you been? is SamKnows support responsive ?
No, I registered and did the tests but they never followed up. I have taken apart one of their boxes though, as well as one of their competitors' boxes. TBH there's really very little in this neighbourhood I *haven't* taken apart.

thenry
17-02-2013, 03:58
:LOL:

who are the competitors?

Firmsky
17-02-2013, 10:14
I've got a WNR3500U.

I emailed them about the new SH trial and informed them I was using the AirPort Extreme and they replied stating that my 5Ghz network might be impacting the testing due to the kit not being able to pick up the signal.

I replied asking if this was truely the case and what I can do about it as I needed the use of a dual band router and got an awful reply simply stating they didn't have a clue!!!

Not sure if this current box is any good, I'm still on 100/10 as per my Config and a few times my results have show 118Mbps :erm:

dave6x
17-02-2013, 10:34
I received white box a couple of weeks ago and it's a WR1043ND.

My wife is still concerned about data security & privacy with this device fitted, anyone know of any issues?

Jayster
17-02-2013, 11:37
I received white box a couple of weeks ago and it's a WR1043ND.

My wife is still concerned about data security & privacy with this device fitted, anyone know of any issues?

I have been in 2 samknows trials so far along with another, I cant even remember the name of the organisation but they ran a pretty shoddy operation compared to samknows and I am still fine.

dave6x
17-02-2013, 12:39
I have been in 2 samknows trials so far along with another, I cant even remember the name of the organisation but they ran a pretty shoddy operation compared to samknows and I am still fine.

Thanks for the reply, good to hear that and Googling I can't find any issues with regard to security problems.

qasdfdsaq
17-02-2013, 16:15
:LOL:

who are the competitors?
ICM

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

I emailed them about the new SH trial and informed them I was using the AirPort Extreme and they replied stating that my 5Ghz network might be impacting the testing due to the kit not being able to pick up the signal.

I replied asking if this was truely the case and what I can do about it as I needed the use of a dual band router and got an awful reply simply stating they didn't have a clue!!!
Doesn't matter too much, their wireless monitoring mechanism is pretty inaccurate anyway.

As a company it looks like they've gotten a bit too big for their own good, they used to be a small cosy group of experts but now with the scale of things have had to hire tons of cheapo generic call centre types.

data0002
17-02-2013, 16:49
ICM have stopped now was on them they just stopped the testing. remotely installed the default firmware and left the wireless open and didn't tell any one.

qasdfdsaq
17-02-2013, 16:53
Indeed they've stopped, though they failed on the restore for me and also failed to retrieve the box, so I took it apart.

Jayster
17-02-2013, 17:21
ICM

Thats the one, I couldn't remember the name for the life of me.

thenry
17-02-2013, 17:36
thanks. shame they have disappeared.

Kushan
17-02-2013, 18:03
I was on ICM as well and was quite annoyed at the way they just reset the router to factory settings and didn't say anything. I must have had an open wireless connection for weeks.

Even when they stopped the testing, it was abrupt and without explanation. I think I just got an email one day asking to return the router. I still have it here, I'm not returning it at my own expense.

thenry
17-02-2013, 18:05
what routers were they supplying ?

Jayster
17-02-2013, 18:48
I was on ICM as well and was quite annoyed at the way they just reset the router to factory settings and didn't say anything. I must have had an open wireless connection for weeks.

Even when they stopped the testing, it was abrupt and without explanation. I think I just got an email one day asking to return the router. I still have it here, I'm not returning it at my own expense.

Lucky I already had dd-wrt on mine ;)

what routers were they supplying ?

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR1043ND

Jayster
18-02-2013, 16:55
Few emails back and forth today with samknows, gigabit unit on the way and a freepost label to send the non gigabit one back.

thenry
18-02-2013, 17:19
when did you send your first email Jay? I've had no response, sent email on friday

Jayster
18-02-2013, 19:14
when did you send your first email Jay? I've had no response, sent email on friday

My first email was sent last Wednesday but they replied in about 5 hours the second time.

thenry
18-02-2013, 19:15
cheers mate. i hope the box hasnt been sent out yet and they get to my email first. saves the hassle of sending stuff back.

Firmsky
20-02-2013, 08:18
I'm losing the will to live with their replies. They have not got a clue, first telling me my 5Ghz network will interrupt the testing then when I ask what do they suggest I do as I need the 5Ghz to achieve full speed wireless via my Mac. They replied I should not have a problem and sent me set up details again!

Anybody have a clue as to why my unit has reported speeds up to 123Mbps when I am still configured at 100Mbps?

qasdfdsaq
20-02-2013, 09:10
Post your precise config if you want a diagnosis. There is no config that is exactly 100/10

That said I've seen many of these things over-report speeds, partly it's down to their limited CPU power.

Kushan
20-02-2013, 11:23
What email are you guys using? I received my box yesterday and it's a 100Mbit one as well. Not much good on my 100Mbit connection.

I fired off an email to community@samknows.com but I've had no reply yet.

Firmsky
20-02-2013, 11:49
I've always just contacted them via the 'contact us' on their website when I check my connection stats.
my config pages

General Configuration
Network Access Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs 1
Baseline Privacy Enabled
DOCSIS Mode EU DOCSIS 3.0
Config File
Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID 23284
Max Traffic Rate 110000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Min Traffic Rate 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID 23283
Max Traffic Rate 10250000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 16320 bytes
Min Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 16320 bps
Scheduling Type BestEffort

thenry
20-02-2013, 15:30
What email are you guys using? I received my box yesterday and it's a 100Mbit one as well. Not much good on my 100Mbit connection.

team@samknows.com

no reply for me yet btw

Jayster
20-02-2013, 15:47

I used the community one. It did take them a while to reply.

Kushan
20-02-2013, 15:57
I just tried the team one and got a response IMMEDIATELY.

Stephen,

The team at community@samknows.com will be picking up on your email in the near future. Thanks for your patience.

Kind regards,
Neil

So erm. Yeah, that was helpful.

thenry
20-02-2013, 15:59
well at least you got something. ive had naff all.

Kushan
20-02-2013, 16:24
I can only presume they're busy at the moment. Oh well, their loss, it's just sitting on my desk in the meantime!

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

Ha! and not 2 minutes after I posted that, I got an email asking to confirm my address so they can send out a gigabit device.

thenry
20-02-2013, 16:35
youre starting to get on my nerves :fit:

ferretuk
20-02-2013, 16:39
youre starting to get on my nerves :fit:

You're :)

thenry
20-02-2013, 16:39
cba

Kushan
20-02-2013, 16:41
Fire off another email! Obviously pestering them gets the best results.

thenry
20-02-2013, 16:43
i did after you posted

Firmsky
20-02-2013, 17:06
Sent them another email to the community one asking for a gigabit white box, see what happens.

Firmsky
21-02-2013, 19:09
Gigabit router in en route!

roughbeast
21-02-2013, 20:53
They sent me out a 10/100 device too =( I emailed them but have not received a reply yet.

Just got a reply today. They are sending me a gigabit box and have freepost label to return the wrong one.

Firmsky
21-02-2013, 23:37
Just got a reply today. They are sending me a gigabit box and have freepost label to return the wrong one.

Exactly the same for me, the community email was the better response for sure. The contact us option just led me to off shore people by the seems of it!!

thenry
22-02-2013, 15:34
finally a reply after a week saying they have already sent out the non gigabit unit. RM tried delivering something this morning, probably the unit. Anyway got the freepost label and a gigabit unit on its way.

thenry
22-02-2013, 21:01
quick question, the return labels 1st class. will i get a tracking number or will i have to add recorded ?

pip08456
22-02-2013, 21:46
You would have to pay for anything other than normal 1st class postage. Just get a proof of postage, it's free.

thenry
22-02-2013, 21:57
maximum £1 pip, safe of hassle.

Sephiroth
22-02-2013, 22:04
I'm so glad not to be involved in this stuff. I don't trust the emographic mix, BTW as I've explained a few times before. And it's total hassle judging by this thread.

Lord knows why TH wants to get mixed up with this!

thenry
22-02-2013, 22:16
nothing else to do.

Sephiroth
22-02-2013, 22:33
Read up on DOCSIS 3 & HFC architectures?

thenry
22-02-2013, 22:47
tried, still try but i lose focus. i think its not being able to be handy/practical during learning.

trikz
25-02-2013, 09:20
Received my unit today N600 (WDR3600) so I guess they should be supplying gigabit routers to all now?

Martin_D
25-02-2013, 11:02
Have i set this up right I don't think i have ? & how do you get into the Router Control Panel

trikz
25-02-2013, 11:26
Seems correct to me, Internet from VM modem to YOUR router. lan 1 output of YOUR router to INTERNET port of TP-Link device. Connect other wired pc to your TP-Link ethernet ports.

Wait for an email from samknows containing your login details to reporting.samknows.com

Martin_D
25-02-2013, 12:19
The Router is not sending any data

ferretuk
25-02-2013, 13:26

Give it a few hours.

Firmsky
25-02-2013, 14:40
Data is always an hour or two behind time.

Martin_D
25-02-2013, 14:58
I have had the Router online for 5 hours and still no data ?

qasdfdsaq
25-02-2013, 19:10
Received my unit today N600 (WDR3600) so I guess they should be supplying gigabit routers to all now?

Oh hello, an overpowered simultaneous dual-band router with most of its features switched off? Interesting choice.

thenry
25-02-2013, 19:42
:banghead:

we dont get anything out of this do we?

raging bull
25-02-2013, 20:40
Experience TH?

thenry
25-02-2013, 20:46
:sleep:

pip08456
26-02-2013, 16:39
IRRC as I am not with SamKnows now, stats will be available every 24 hrs, I could be wrong though.

I will add though, if you don't want your local network monitored then just connect the SamKnows monitor to a spare port on your router and don't connect anything to it. It will only then collect data about your connection speed etc.

Martin_D
26-02-2013, 16:53
Data Now coming in :)

pip08456
26-02-2013, 23:10

Still the same then, updated every 24 hrs.

thenry
01-03-2013, 15:13
got my gigabit unit this morning. TL-WDR3600.

Jayster
01-03-2013, 15:21
Seems I drew the short straw, I ended up with a tl-wr1043nd.

thenry
01-03-2013, 15:32
how do you login to the TP Link? tplinklogin.net isn't working

ferretuk
01-03-2013, 16:09
You can't - There isn't a user front end...

thenry
01-03-2013, 16:15
is wifi disabled then? the 2.4GHz light keeps flashing. 5GHz is solid. theres a wifi on/off switch at the back, it was set to on I have now switched it off but still the 2.4GHz light flashes. No wifi networks are detected while the switch is set to on ?

Firmsky
01-03-2013, 18:04
is wifi disabled then? the 2.4GHz light keeps flashing. 5GHz is solid. theres a wifi on/off switch at the back, it was set to on I have now switched it off but still the 2.4GHz light flashes. No wifi networks are detected while the switch is set to on ?

I got the same unit and have the done the same as you. I think the problem we have is the fact that using the frequency 2.4 it can tell you are using that service but if your using a 5 network which I am the unit can't see your Internet is in use so the results will be dorked if your using a dual band router.

thenry
01-03-2013, 18:13
just done a test on 5GHz on SH and the TPLink did nothing :dunce: is the TPLink monitoring wifi? should it not be monitoring 5Ghz as well as 2.4GHz seeing as this unit is dual band ?

buckleb
01-03-2013, 18:21
Got home after a week away to find the Sam Knows device had been delivered (N600/WDR3600). I'll set it up over the weekend in place of my WR1043ND.

thenry
01-03-2013, 18:22
link it to a spare port on your WR1043ND Buck. theres no wifi.

buckleb
01-03-2013, 18:37

Oh, thats a shame :p:

Jayster
01-03-2013, 23:39
just done a test on 5GHz on SH and the TPLink did nothing :dunce: is the TPLink monitoring wifi? should it not be monitoring 5Ghz as well as 2.4GHz seeing as this unit is dual band ?

I believe they say it monitors wifi to avoid testing while its being used but that sounds like a stupid way to do things to me. After having multiple different units from different testing companies I think the wifi does nothing on any of them.

thenry
01-03-2013, 23:46
its collecting data or monitoring or both. im not sure if they have configured it to collect/monitor on 5GHz though ?

ferretuk
02-03-2013, 00:28

More fundamentally, the SamKnows box isn't a router!

thenry
02-03-2013, 00:32
wifi router that is. hardwired router it can be even with the limited functionality. has anyone tested the USB ports?

thenry
02-03-2013, 00:43

I have had the Router online for 5 hours and still no data ?

IRRC as I am not with SamKnows now, stats will be available every 24 hrs, I could be wrong though.

I will add though, if you don't want your local network monitored then just connect the SamKnows monitor to a spare port on your router and don't connect anything to it. It will only then collect data about your connection speed etc.

Still the same then, updated every 24 hrs.

you dont need to wait 24hrs. simply enable hourly averages...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=24269&stc=1&d=1362184981

roughbeast
02-03-2013, 11:13
Gigabit router arrived today. I've placed it between my SH and my WNDR3700. All appears normal.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2013/03/43.png (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=136222271806574939653)

What now? I have received no details as to where I should view my performance tables. I have no logon details for any site.

Edit.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................

Problem solved. :D I found the link on someone's post here. I didn't have a password so reset it using the email address they've been contacting me with. I now have access. Awaiting first data.

roughbeast
02-03-2013, 16:48
you dont need to wait 24hrs. simply enable hourly averages...

I did that for all measures. No data yet after 5 hours. I will be patient.

Getting this message on packet loss widget:
"Open Flash Chart
IO ERROR
Loading test data
Error #2032"

thenry
02-03-2013, 16:51
have you received the confirmation email of Your Whitebox is now connected! ?

ferretuk
02-03-2013, 17:03
wifi router that is. hardwired router it can be even with the limited functionality. has anyone tested the USB ports?

No - It's a bridge, not a router.

thenry
02-03-2013, 17:09
thanks for the correction. i still havent read up on the site

Can I use the Whitebox to connect directly to the internet?
No. The SamKnows whitebox is not a broadband modem or router. It operates as a bridge and connects to your existing router.
https://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/faq#IQ3

roughbeast
02-03-2013, 17:15
have you received the confirmation email of Your Whitebox is now connected! ?

No.

thenry
02-03-2013, 17:20
wait for it mate.

roughbeast
02-03-2013, 17:24
wait for it mate.

How long did it take to get your 'Connected' email?

thenry
02-03-2013, 17:28
around an hour i think. it was yesterday, weekday. not sure what the weekend responses are like.

roughbeast
02-03-2013, 17:31
around an hour i think

It's been since 11.00 am. Maybe because it's a Saturday?... or are the emails automatic?

I must be connected because I'm getting internet through it. :erm:

thenry
02-03-2013, 17:38
i dont know mate. just hope someone at samknows checks over things tonight. someone must be monitoring things even if employees are given weekends off.

the unit will work but activating data collection i think needs setting SamKnows end.. anyone ever had weekend responses from SamKnows?

Kushan
02-03-2013, 17:43
It's been since 11.00 am. Maybe because it's a Saturday?... or are the emails automatic?

I must be connected because I'm getting internet through it. :erm:

I plugged mine in about the same time, possibly a bit earlier, and got my email hours ago. Just give it time, at least 24hours.

Ryan92
03-03-2013, 14:02
Got my invitation email today ; waiting on my whitebox being dispatched to me.
Is it easy enough to set up?

thenry
03-03-2013, 14:25
yup. link the unit to your existing kit. SH/Router LAN port > WAN Port on SamKnows box

Ryan92
03-03-2013, 14:26
yup. link the unit to your existing kit. SH/Router LAN port > WAN Port on SamKnows box

Much much easier than I thought then :D

qasdfdsaq
03-03-2013, 17:00
It may be more accurate to say the Samknows device does not function as a router. Physically, the unit was designed and sold as a standard consumer "router" and they have not changed it. The only thing stopping it being a full-fledged router is that the feature is turned off in software.

roughbeast
03-03-2013, 19:04
Still no, "Your white box is now connected", email. Have to wait for office hours I guess.

roughbeast
04-03-2013, 20:36
Still no, "Your white box is now connected", email. Have to wait for office hours I guess.

Still no email. I've now emailed them.