PDA

View Full Version : help with wireless please

dafry
14-04-2010, 13:32
If you could shed some light on this i would really appreciate it as im going round the bend!

I got a new laptop yesterday that will not connect to the virgin 50 meg netgear wrn2000 router. I have disabled security on it and it still doesnt work. when security is on it will ask for the passkey which i correctly enter and it says that it is either wrong, or the signal strength from the router is too weak (but its at full strength and im a foot away from it) It will find it and show its signal strength etc. but will not connect. I do all the diagnostics and trouble shooting and it just doesnt work. One of my neighbours has their router set as a bt wifi hot spot and it will connect to that, and i have got the laptop at work at the moment and it has connected straight to the works bt router.

i can connect my pc wireless no problems.

The laptop is a samsung r530 and the wireless card(i think lol) is an atheros ar9285, it also has microsoft virtual wifimini port, whatever that is.

i did notice that the network next door and at work it will connect to are all g and virgin is n , but i believe n is backwards comaptible with g?

any ideas would be apprecaited

Jayster
14-04-2010, 16:31
If the laptop ive come across on google is correct then you laptop is wireless g so it would not be able to connect to your wireless n router. But yes n is backwards compatible with g.

Aragorn
14-04-2010, 16:46
If the laptop ive come across on google is correct then you laptop is wireless g so it would not be able to connect to your wireless n router. But yes n is backwards compatible with g.
Eh?
A G adapter should quiet happily connect to an N router, unless the router is operating in 'N-only' mode - unlikely if it's a VM supplied router.
Any other wireless devices in the house that you can test with the router?

dafry
14-04-2010, 17:25
i have tried with a wireless g usb dongle on the pc and that works, tried to use that on the laptop and it wont install. and the ps3 connects wireless

i have a range boosting one at work so i shall take that home and see if it works.

does anyone know how i would see if it is in n only mode?

Ben B
14-04-2010, 17:27
Which router model do you have?

dafry
14-04-2010, 17:28

the wrn2000 netgear

Peter_
14-04-2010, 17:32
From first post.:D:D:D:D:D

I got a new laptop yesterday that will not connect to the virgin 50 meg netgear wrn2000 router.

Ben B
14-04-2010, 17:34
Go to http://www.routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 if that doesn't work and once logged in (username: admin password: password) click on Wireless Settings on the left and under Wireless Mode if it is on any other option than Up to 54Mbps then it is in N mode but Wireless G devices should still work. Now I had some problems with mine so I set it to Up to 54Mbps because all my devices are Wireless G anyway so just try that and see how you go

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

From first post.:D:D:D:D:D
Oops didn't see that

dafry
14-04-2010, 17:44
Go to http://www.routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 if that doesn't work and once logged in (username: admin password: password) click on Wireless Settings on the left and under Wireless Mode if it is on any other option than Up to 54Mbps then it is in N mode but Wireless G devices should still work. Now I had some problems with mine so I set it to Up to 54Mbps because all my devices are Wireless G anyway so just try that and see how you go

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Oops didn't see that

i believe it is set higher than 54Mbps :) i shall have a look when i get home and adjust and let you know the results :)

thank you

edit, just rang my wife and it is on 154Mbps

dafry
14-04-2010, 19:52
ok got home and tried the speed thing and it didnt work :(

so fiddled around not really knowing what i was doing and have got it working.

i went into advanced wireless settings and tried to add on the wireless access card list.

i put the mac address and comp name in and it wouldnt work...there was allready one on the list which was the belkin wireless for the pc so i disabled both and hey presto it works :)

have done a speed test with the 54Mbps setting and got 3meg ish results, put it back to 154 and got 40

so all is good.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Ben B
14-04-2010, 19:54
Excellent, glad you got it sorted :)

Jayster
14-04-2010, 21:46
Eh?
A G adapter should quiet happily connect to an N router, unless the router is operating in 'N-only' mode - unlikely if it's a VM supplied router.
Any other wireless devices in the house that you can test with the router?
Sorry about that i was busy when i commented and had my mind on other things.