PDA

View Full Version : Block of flats: VM postcode check confusing

rwp789
13-04-2010, 14:28
(I posted this on Digital Spy, but maybe you guys can be of more help)

I'm looking into taking my VM with me when I move house in a couple of weeks, but the postcode check says I cannot get fibre optic, even though 2 other apartments in the same block can (including no. 88, and I'm moving to no. 90). It's a 4x4 block of apartments arranged as the corners of a square with the cable well right next to it and a green box across the street. The same happens when I check the adjacent block, only 3 apartments now apparently have fibre optic and the rest don't. Would this be a case for a spotter? I have a postcode if anyone can provide a more in-depth check.

I know about the online form you can fill in for 'unserviceables', but I haven't moved to the address in question yet, so I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. What do you think? Thanks!

newbie05
30-04-2010, 21:39
mate exactly the same issue with me. i cannot see the new flat i am moving to in the postcode checker. Am pretty sure its a fibre optic area. but it doesnt show in the link on VM site.

Experts isnt there any website which will let you know if your flat is fibre optic connected or not ??

pls help !! i am due to move in to the new flat in 10 days time

Digital Fanatic
01-05-2010, 09:48
mate exactly the same issue with me. i cannot see the new flat i am moving to in the postcode checker. Am pretty sure its a fibre optic area. but it doesnt show in the link on VM site.

Experts isnt there any website which will let you know if your flat is fibre optic connected or not ??

pls help !! i am due to move in to the new flat in 10 days time

I've responded to you in your other thread.

rwp789
05-05-2010, 14:17
I sent in the form for "unserviceables" and also the spotter form last week, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I had a closer look around the flat yesterday (it's 5 minutes away from where I live now) and I can clearly see a black cable going up into flat no. 74, which is exactly two floors down from my new apartment, and guess what the VM database says about no. 74? That's right, all fibre-optic services available! Should I just call them and stress that no. 74 definitely has a VM connection running up the outside wall?

Digital Fanatic
05-05-2010, 16:16
I sent in the form for "unserviceables" and also the spotter form last week, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I had a closer look around the flat yesterday (it's 5 minutes away from where I live now) and I can clearly see a black cable going up into flat no. 74, which is exactly two floors down from my new apartment, and guess what the VM database says about no. 74? That's right, all fibre-optic services available! Should I just call them and stress that no. 74 definitely has a VM connection running up the outside wall?

Maybe it's a height issue for your building? VM usually have cabs in the flats if they are serviceable. How many floors up are you?

rwp789
05-05-2010, 18:53
I'm on the 3rd floor and there are serviceable apartments on the 2nd and 1st floor of my block (of 16 apartments). It's very random, in one of the neighbouring blocks apparently 4 apartments out of 16 (on various floors) are serviceable, so I don't think it's a height issue. Sounds more like a database issue, don't you think?

Digital Fanatic
05-05-2010, 19:02
I'm on the 3rd floor and there are serviceable apartments on the 2nd and 1st floor of my block (of 16 apartments). It's very random, in one of the neighbouring blocks apparently 4 apartments out of 16 (on various floors) are serviceable, so I don't think it's a height issue. Sounds more like a database issue, don't you think?

Could be... have you contacted a spotter? they don't mind if you don't live their yet, just let them know that when you fill in the form.

m419
05-05-2010, 19:11
When NTL and Telewest merged and rebranded as Virgin Media,the data base was rushed and even the Analogue only areas had to be added,in some cases the Analogue only areas showed as 'out of area' even though Analogue TV,Telephone and Broadband was available.

Get the spotters onto it.

You can do your own work,

Does each flat have black cables leading from them?
Does Any flat have the small grey/brown/large white rectangular boxes outside the windows displaying NTL,Telewest,Virgin Media,Nynex ect... on them?
Does your flat have a socket near the window or electricity point with two points saying Cable TV and F.M Radio? If this is situated next to the BT socket you maybe in one of the ex-BT franchises meaning you can possibly only get Analogue TV and maybe Broadband.

bopsgtir
11-05-2010, 21:11
if its south london i can tell you

rwp789
12-05-2010, 15:58
Thanks for the replies. I've contacted VM and I was called by a spotter on Monday, who said he'd be looking into it. I told him about the other apartments that do have fibre optic (also one on the 3rd floor in another block) and he said that would help my case. He said he'd call me back yesterday or today, but I haven't heard anything yet. Is that a bad sign?

@m419: at least one of the apartments in my block with fibre optic has a black cable running up the wall, I haven't checked the others. No brown/white boxes though (I know which ones you mean). No cable socket in the flat either - come to think of it, I can't even remember seeing a telephone socket, but I'm sure there must be one somewhere...

@bopsgtir: not London I'm afraid, it's an NE2 postcode (Newcastle/Sandyford)

rwp789
18-05-2010, 13:32
Short update: the spotter who was supposed to contact me again last Tue/Wed didn't call back, so I called 150 again at the end of the week. They said the spotter request was in the system but no report had been filed, so they didn't know what had happened. They then submitted another request and told me I'd be called by the spotter this week... I really hope this doesn't keep dragging on, I'm moving at the end of next week!

m419
18-05-2010, 20:42
Well if the other flats can get it,i'm sure they will be able to fit a cable round.

If that new place doesn't have a BT line either,your looking at £125 installation fee if Virgin Media can't do it.

When I moved into mine in 1997, there was loads of sockets.

Cable London (Cable TV and F.M Radio) Virgin Media
BT phone socket with a TV and FM Radio socket with it.
Rediffusion Socket with a knob with A,B,C,D,E,F and G around it.

loads more that I can't even make out, there is even a BT telephone meter which used to be used to meter phone calls pre-1990's.

That TV socket below the BT telephone does not work and has never worked,I suppose its part of the Westminster Cable franchise i'm just over the border of that borough.