PDA

View Full Version : 50Mb install-FREE!

pip08456
12-04-2010, 17:30
Well slap my face with a 100 year old kipper!

I thought I'd try it on just to see what happened and it worked!

I rang retentions to cancel as I said I was moving to BT Infinity. Was told they would match the price, £24.99 + £11.54 line rental.

OK the per month price wasn't matched but I've agreed at £39.99 pm including phone and no install or activation charge and no extention to the contract!

Also told very few in my area on 50Mb so should have no probs.

Install on 22nd I'll post after then on outcome.

Ben B
12-04-2010, 17:33
Haha, that's brill, congrats and enjoy the service :tu:

speedfreak
12-04-2010, 17:35
Excellent. Could see a lot of this with BT's rollout happening

pip08456
12-04-2010, 17:38
Haha, that's brill, congrats and enjoy the service :tu:

Hope I will!

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

How right you are speedfreak. I blagged them as I said there was laready a BT line to the flatso no line install

v0id
12-04-2010, 21:16
If BT Infinity is their answer to FTTC, why would you need a landline? :/

Ignitionnet
13-04-2010, 21:34
What a bunch of wussies.

Unsure why they'd want to stop you moving to BT Infinity and enjoying their 100GB/month FUP with throttling to 2Mbps after that and hard core shaping during peak times ;)

Doesn't surprise though, Virgin can't dissuade you with the quality of the product so of course they're going to bribe with discounts. They got slightly more out of you per month than the normal 38GBP/month with phone line though :)

izools
16-04-2010, 19:31
What a bunch of wussies.

Unsure why they'd want to stop you moving to BT Infinity and enjoying their 100GB/month FUP with throttling to 2Mbps after that and hard core shaping during peak times ;)

Doesn't surprise though, Virgin can't dissuade you with the quality of the product so of course they're going to bribe with discounts. They got slightly more out of you per month than the normal 38GBP/month with phone line though :)

£39.99 PCM is the same price I'm paying as a new customer for 50Mbit Broadband and "M" Phone line rental. 'Tis the current tariff ;)

pip08456
22-04-2010, 13:53
Well, I should've known better. Honestly the incompetance of some of the VM staff knows no bounds!

I rang this morning to confirm that the install was taking place and was assured it would be between 8.00 - 1.00. Come 1.30 no tech.

I rang to ask why to be told (eventually) that no tech had been booked and the upgrade had been marked "office only" whatever that means.

Soonest next available date - 8th May.

I think an email to the CEO is in order!

Spectato
22-04-2010, 15:51
Implying that the muppet that confirmed the install (when you rang this morning) didn't even check and/or just lied.
This seems to be becoming a common practice with so called customer services. :bsmack:

Ignitionnet
22-04-2010, 17:10
Well, I should've known better. Honestly the incompetance of some of the VM staff knows no bounds!

I rang this morning to confirm that the install was taking place and was assured it would be between 8.00 - 1.00. Come 1.30 no tech.

I rang to ask why to be told (eventually) that no tech had been booked and the upgrade had been marked "office only" whatever that means.

Soonest next available date - 8th May.

I think an email to the CEO is in order!

Good stuff, serves you right for 'trying it on' :p:

Wouldn't surprise at all if the guy who wussied out and offered you this couldn't actually give that deal but just wanted you off the phone.

The CEO's office will probably give you free upgrade, free broadband and an Arabian harem. For all the rhetoric VM never did quite get the hang of letting customers who aren't going to make them money go rather than, ntl style, begging them to stay even if they lose money on the deals they offer.

pip08456
22-04-2010, 17:41

Wouldn't surprise at all if the guy who wussied out and offered you this couldn't actually give that deal but just wanted you off the phone.

The CEO's office will probably give you free upgrade, free broadband and an Arabian harem. For all the rhetoric VM never did quite get the hang of letting customers who aren't going to make them money go rather than, ntl style, begging them to stay even if they lose money on the deals they offer.

That kind of talk means handbags a dawn!:p::p::p::p::p:

speedfreak
22-04-2010, 17:44

Ahhh but surely its best to keep the customers rather than have them going to competitors. Better to keep a customer and probably make some money in the future off them rather than them paying another provider :)

Pip have you really thought this through...Im on 50 but currently have a 20Mb modem winging its way to me in the post in the hope of a better connection :D

Chrysalis
22-04-2010, 18:28
speedfreak its most likely to do with companies looking at customer count as a judgement of how well they doing, these days that seems to be looked at before actual profit figures.

pip08456
22-04-2010, 19:41
The CEO's office will probably give you free upgrade, free broadband and an Arabian harem.

Well I got a reply to my email.

Now Igni, about this Arabian harem. Do you know if I get to choose the girls???:D:D:D:D

Ignitionnet
22-04-2010, 19:46
Well I got a reply to my email.

Now Igni, about this Arabian harem. Do you know if I get to choose the girls???:D:D:D:D

So long as you agree to upgrade for an extra 20p/month I'm sure they'll be happy to spend an extra 20 grand a month to give you choice, please don't leave them, no really it makes the churn numbers look bad if customers don't accept the bribes. :)

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

Ahhh but surely its best to keep the customers rather than have them going to competitors. Better to keep a customer and probably make some money in the future off them rather than them paying another provider :)

Then you note the Moneysavingexpert avid readers who just call up every 12 months to get a new deal and realise that that just doesn't happen. Once you give in to a customer once they'll almost certainly be back after discounts again and again. :)

In some cases people even fake faults - I can think of one guy who used to fake a fault every couple of months to get free service. Then there's other whinging goits who just moan at everything to get discounts and/or attention.

speedfreak
22-04-2010, 19:57
So long as you agree to upgrade for an extra 20p/month I'm sure they'll be happy to spend an extra 20 grand a month to give you choice, please don't leave them, no really it makes the churn numbers look bad if customers don't accept the bribes. :)

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

Then you note the Moneysavingexpert avid readers who just call up every 12 months to get a new deal and realise that that just doesn't happen. Once you give in to a customer once they'll almost certainly be back after discounts again and again. :)

In some cases people even fake faults - I can think of one guy who used to fake a fault every couple of months to get free service. Then there's other whinging goits who just moan at everything to get discounts and/or attention.

surely the ones who fake faults must a very low number, how would you even fake a fault? Your right though, I didnt think of the moneysaving types but it still suits VM to have them on their books than someone elses.

Please dont reply I hate admitting I might be wrong, I like to think VM know what they are doing :D Cant there be one field I know more about than you :D

Oh and pip, my comment about the 50Mb was tongue in cheek, obviously not everyone has issues, good luck getting the date brought forward, its a good service when its working :)

Chrysalis
22-04-2010, 20:07
heh I hope I am not in that category ignition :) with my fault.

But seriously you bang on right in regards to discounts, there is certian customers who will only be loyal to the cheapest service, they will stick with VM as long as the discounts keep coming so the hope that these customers are investments that will eventually be profitable is probably fruitless. However I think its worth giving discounts to customers with genuine faults.

pip08456
22-04-2010, 21:22
a) I'm not whining.

b) I would be paying exactly the same per mth as any new customer. £39.99.

c) I was considering moving to BT Infinity (I like the upload rate)

The only form of discount I would receive would be the free install and I think you will find that VM will eventually offer that as a matter of course as BT Infinity rolls out.

I do not consider it whining to have to take a day off work for an install that was confirmed on the morning when a tech had not been booked. Had I been told when I rang that it wasn't going to happen I could've gone to work and not lost a days wages.

You may be able to afford it Igni but I can't if it is not necessary.

Rant over:rolleyes::D

Ignitionnet
23-04-2010, 08:39
Wasn't talking about you was referring to people who make part time jobs out of saving 50p here and 50p there along with extracting the urine out of VM a bit for being scared of losing customers in a similar manner to how ntl were but if you feel better feel free to rant away. :)

Some people are serial discount hunters who don't quite grasp that time is precious but would rather be on the phone trying to save a few pence a month. VM / ntl never quite got to grips with those guys.

I think you perhaps started the thread off badly if you were seriously considering moving given your use of 'I thought I'd try it on just to see what happened' in the original post and that Barry isn't Infinity ready for another 2 months so you'd have had a job moving to it ;)

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/products/nga/downloads/FTTC_%20pot_exchs.pdf

None of which justifies you getting blagged of course.

Peter_
23-04-2010, 08:57
surely the ones who fake faults must a very low number, how would you even fake a fault? Your right though, I didnt think of the moneysaving types but it still suits VM to have them on their books than someone elses.

The are many people who are serial complainers and do appear to have ongoing issues even when everyone around them does not have any issues and complain directly to the CEO's office.

Some accounts do end with warning notes on them preventing further discounts, credits and sometimes even engineer visits.

pip08456
23-04-2010, 11:19
I think we all know there are those who will push things to the limit to try and get something for nothing thankfully they are in the minority.

I could and should've worded my OP better and my bit of a rant yesterday was more through frustration than anything else.

There is a happy ending though, I've just received a call from a member of the CEO's staff and my 50Mb will be installed this afternoon.

My email to the CEO was not a rant but polite and informative. Just goes to show if you are respectful of people things can get done.:D:D:D:D

Ignitionnet
23-04-2010, 12:30
There is a happy ending though, I've just received a call from a member of the CEO's staff and my 50Mb will be installed this afternoon.

My email to the CEO was not a rant but polite and informative. Just goes to show if you are respectful of people things can get done.:D:D:D:D

Then the install will turn up on your next month's bill probably :D

pip08456
23-04-2010, 14:15
Then the install will turn up on your next month's bill probably :D

We'll see

pip08456
23-04-2010, 18:01
So far so good although the tech was here a couple of hours.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/04/27.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/15376336.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

speedfreak
23-04-2010, 18:33
The are many people who are serial complainers and do appear to have ongoing issues even when everyone around them does not have any issues and complain directly to the CEO's office.

To be fair though I was told numerous times by support that I didnt have a fault. I had to persue it through the CEO's office and then they found a fault. It still wasnt right and they found another fault. It still wasnt right and now I may be part of the motorola curse :D Other people around me havent reported a fault, that doesnt mean I havent got one as two have already been found and repaired. Trust me no amount of compensation is worth all the phone calls and hassle, if people do lie to get a cheap deal they need to get out the house more! I keep ringing them from my mobile as Im out at work, it must be costing me a bomb.

Doesnt help when networks told me that when gaming on the PS3 it maxes out the 50meg and it will cause issues. Sometimes the CEO's office is the best and only route when you get advice like that. How can you have notes on peoples accounts saying no tech visits?! What if they have a genuine issue, can it not be if no fault is found then forewarn of a possible call out charge?

Anyway, on topic......Good news pip, bet you're chuffed and I hope it stays that way for you :) I dont see anything wrong with getting a good deal if you can get away with it though Igni's probably right, I had all sorts of billing issues in the beginning

Chrysalis
23-04-2010, 19:17
speedfreak agreed, I dont blame people for trying to get the best deal. I blame VM for allowing them to try and get away with it.

But at the same time VM are right to compensate people with faults, however VM do seem to take their time fixing faults without urgency which in the long term will be costing them in compensation payouts.

speedfreak
23-04-2010, 19:22
I think its daft not trying to get a good deal and its not just VM, most businesses will offer a good deal to hold on to a customer, I know sky are the same, it makes good business sense IMO

Chrysalis
23-04-2010, 19:45
only if its still profitable.

eg. someone trying to get an offer what new customers get? may be ok.

someone ringing rententions every month to pay a silly price and they been doing it for years? time to get rid of customer.

speedfreak
23-04-2010, 20:05
only if its still profitable.

eg. someone trying to get an offer what new customers get? may be ok.

someone ringing rententions every month to pay a silly price and they been doing it for years? time to get rid of customer.

We will have to disagree on that one mate, I still think its better to hold on to a customer than have them go elsewhere, Im sure they make enough profit to cover it and like you said it seems to be a customer numbers game these days. When my contract is up I will be ringing retentions just to see what they might offer( I thought everyone did!), even with all my problems I still think they are an O.K company to deal with compared to some other companies I've dealt with and I will stick with VM regardless of me getting a good deal or not, no harm in trying it on though :erm:

Bricktop
25-04-2010, 15:33
Well slap my face with a 100 year old kipper!

I thought I'd try it on just to see what happened and it worked!

I rang retentions to cancel as I said I was moving to BT Infinity. Was told they would match the price, £24.99 + £11.54 line rental.

OK the per month price wasn't matched but I've agreed at £39.99 pm including phone and no install or activation charge and no extention to the contract!

Also told very few in my area on 50Mb so should have no probs.

Install on 22nd I'll post after then on outcome.

When I got 50mb the Indian I spoke to promised me a free install. Got my bill in and there was the £50 install fee. Phoned up and the english speaking CS rep informed me that they never wave the install fee.

So I can guarantee you will get charged for the install

speedfreak
25-04-2010, 17:38
I had my install fee refunded to me :)

pip08456
25-04-2010, 18:43
When I got 50mb the Indian I spoke to promised me a free install. Got my bill in and there was the £50 install fee. Phoned up and the english speaking CS rep informed me that they never wave the install fee.

I can guarantee I won't!

Well done speedo!:D

Stuart
25-04-2010, 19:11
Some people are serial discount hunters who don't quite grasp that time is precious but would rather be on the phone trying to save a few pence a month. VM / ntl never quite got to grips with those guys.

I remember something an old boss told me. He said that if you are trying to work out whether something is worth doing, take your work hourly rate, and multiply that by the time you are are spending doing that something. If it's going to cost you more doing it that you would earn by not doing it, it's not worth it.

The way I would translate that to this is if you have to spend your valuable time, and the cost of a phone call (or many) to get a discount, then if the cost of you doing that is greater than the discount you get, it's not worth it.

If you are that unhappy with a companys service, then the answer is often quite simple:leave.

If they think they can just bribe you to stay, they will, but will probably not attempt to sort out whatever it is that is causing the problem. If enough people leave without accepting bribes, they'll have to sort out the problem.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Having said that, if VM offer a free install, they should give a free install. The same as any other discounts.

Ignitionnet
25-04-2010, 19:50
I remember something an old boss told me. He said that if you are trying to work out whether something is worth doing, take your work hourly rate, and multiply that by the time you are are spending doing that something. If it's going to cost you more doing it that you would earn by not doing it, it's not worth it.

Exactly how I look at these things.

If you are that unhappy with a companys service, then the answer is often quite simple:leave.

The IP address I'm posting this from gives my opinion on that sentiment.

Stuart
25-04-2010, 20:01
The IP address I'm posting this from gives my opinion on that sentiment.

Same here. While I was perfectly happy with VM, Be could give me the same service for a lot less (at the time), so I left VM, telling them why.

pip08456
27-04-2010, 22:41

Just got my new Ts&Cs through. No install charge. Actually it shows as a charge then as a credit, obviously their billing ways.

Now I've got a tech coming tomorrow as the speeds have been up and down since install. Just hope he can sort it out.:rolleyes: