PDA

View Full Version : can someone check these levels for me please

candy1567
11-04-2010, 22:23
hiya

just moved house, and had 50mg reinstalled, had superb service in last house but nothin but probs here!!! they couldn't even get it working for a week, somthing to do with IT dept.

CABLE MODEM

•Information

•Status

•Downstream

•Upstream

•Upstream Burst

•Operation Config.

•Event Log

Cable Modem Downstream
DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 299000000 307000000 315000000 N/A
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y N/N/N
Channel Id 60 61 62 N/A
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM N/A
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 6.952 6.952 6.952 N/A
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 0.37 -0.08 -0.26 N/A
RxMER
(dB) 36.17 36.39 36.39 N/A
Correctable
Codewords 1291 779 473 N/A
Uncorrectable
Codewords 329 1012 286 N/A

Cable Modem Upstream
US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 1.0 N/A N/A N/A
Channel ID 1 N/A N/A N/A
Frequency
(Hz) 37500000 N/A N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A N/A
Modulation 16QAM N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec) 2560 N/A N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 2 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 32.00 N/A N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0
T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T3 Timeouts 5 0 0 0
T4 Timeouts 0 0 0 0

cheers thanks in advance

Juliexx

moaningmags
11-04-2010, 22:36
Power Level
(dBmV) 32.00 N/A N/A N/A

is too low, are you having any issues?

broadbandking
11-04-2010, 23:02
Well if you are having issues you need a technician to sort out that upstream power level as moaningmags pointed out, really they should have sorted the levels whilst they was there.

Peter_
11-04-2010, 23:26
Call the 50Mb support team on 0800 052 0431 tomorrow after 0800 for a UK agent and if you are having any issues they will book a Principal Engineer for you.

candy1567
13-04-2010, 07:52
cheers everyone

yeah am havin some issues not to bad, net is working but keeps droppin connection, at first i thought it was me cause i use it wireless havn't really checked it on wired connection as partner is in tunisia at moment (lucky sod)

will ring and check in a bit

thanks everyone

Juliexx

mjpartyboy
13-04-2010, 13:50
Sorry to thread jack, but how are these:

Downstream Receive Power Level: 5.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 36.5 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level: 38.0 dBmV

Peter_
13-04-2010, 14:49
Sorry to thread jack, but how are these:

Downstream Receive Power Level: 5.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 36.5 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level: 38.0 dBmV
Fine no problem there.

mjpartyboy
13-04-2010, 18:15
Fine no problem there.

That's what I thought, but thanks for confirming it. I have noticed the Downstream Receive Power Level go up though, as I've seen it around 4 dBmV before. Do these levels tend to fluctuate?

Peter_
13-04-2010, 18:30
That's what I thought, but thanks for confirming it. I have noticed the Downstream Receive Power Level go up though, as I've seen it around 4 dBmV before. Do these levels tend to fluctuate?
They can do but if its working then do not worry.

candy1567
13-04-2010, 19:15
Hi again

Had the most weird and wonderful conversation with 50mg tech support to get someone out to adjust my upstream power level as suggested by a few on this site.

He said that he didn't think it was a problem as its only a little low and was not urgent, i insisted and told him bout the wireless problems ive been having and he asked me if i had read the manual for the laptop to sort out the connection!!!

I asked him wat the levels should be for up and downstream, he said his computer was running slow and he couldn't check but he thought my levels were ok, i asked him how can he be sure if he relies on a comp for his knowledge but couldn't access the information, he said it'll be ok ring back if its still dropping the connection.

I strongly insisited a tech visited and after alot of fartin about he agreed to send one out on monday as it wasn't urgent, i stated that monday was no good for me as i wanted one earlier, so thursday it is

Wat an ordeal just to have a good internet connection,

Juliexx

Peter_
13-04-2010, 19:35
I strongly insisited a tech visited and after alot of fartin about he agreed to send one out on monday as it wasn't urgent, i stated that monday was no good for me as i wanted one earlier, so thursday it is

Wat an ordeal just to have a good internet connection,

Juliexx
We are supposed to offer the first available slot as per OFCOM regulations so you should callback and lodge a complaint against that agent.

candy1567
13-04-2010, 19:46
Hi Moldova

Arnt you also supposed to be able to offer support and to check the internet connection

No disrespect to all the helpful techs ive spoken to but and this is a big BUT there a few who do give out wrong information or dont know how to access this info on their computer.

Have rang back and checked that thursday was the first available appt, and was told that i could have one tomorrow, I thought that as people were reading from a script rather than their own knowledge base that the support was consistent across the board, yeah that happens in theory, but in the real world it doesn't happen

Peter_
13-04-2010, 19:59
Hi Moldova

Arnt you also supposed to be able to offer support and to check the internet connection

No disrespect to all the helpful techs ive spoken to but and this is a big BUT there a few who do give out wrong information or dont know how to access this info on their computer.

Have rang back and checked that thursday was the first available appt, and was told that i could have one tomorrow, I thought that as people were reading from a script rather than their own knowledge base that the support was consistent across the board, yeah that happens in theory, but in the real world it doesn't happen
We all have access to the same tools but it depends how they use them.

Sephiroth
13-04-2010, 20:08
I can't see what a visiting engineer can do about upstream power.

BTW, For a couple of years - until the start of the cold season, my upstream power was a constant 29 dBmv with no issues. It rose in the cold to 33 dBmv and has now stabilised at 27 to 38 dBmv (but I think they moved me to a different UBR at some stage). And knowing that the upstream power is commanded by the UBR, I'm tempted to say that isn't the real problem.

You mentioned dropping connexion and looking at your corrupted codewords, I'd say that when the connexion appears to drop, it's during the periodic ranging request that occurs every 30 seconds and there happens to be an uncorrectable codeword error.

At the same time, there could be an upstream problem somewhere in the line that prevents the ranging reesponse from reaching the UBR. The 2nd line support people can check your line for upstream noise. If there's some impairment between your house/modem and the street cabinet, then the effect could hit both upstream and downstream.

So, before getting an engineer, you could report this (with event log) on the Virgin support forum where it will receive attention from 2nd line support.

HTH.

calmpitbull
13-04-2010, 21:46
Upstream power below 35 indicates that network levels are set incorrectly. However that won't be your problem. The guy on the phone was right to say don't worry about it because a low return power means that the modem is communicating easily with the head end therefore has set its power level low.\

Some areas have very low return power levels so it is normal for some areas to go below 35.

For dropping connection when the tick light is staying on on the modem I would look much closer to home (router etc...)

jb66
13-04-2010, 23:28
Low upstream power is a good thing, wasted visit really, all an engineer can do is put an old fat attenuator in place of a forward attenuator. Would be suprised if it makes a difference

candy1567
13-04-2010, 23:41
Cheers everyone

thanks for all your replies, as someone who doesn't know much about how the net works all your expertise is invaluable.

Before my move once the power levels were sorted i had a solid internet connection so these drops in connection am having are a real pain and i dont really understand why so using this forum is great.

Will see wat happens tomorrow, and where i can go if its not sorted

thanks again to everyone who has replied greatly appreciated

Juliexx

jb66
14-04-2010, 18:10
So how did you get on? :)