PDA

View Full Version : Had installation 2 days ago, but want to move wires?

Chrystal86
09-04-2010, 12:55
Hi,

I had Internet, TV and phone installed on Wednesday (I recently moved into the property). I wanted all 3 installed in my bedroom which is at the front of the house. It was also handy that the previous tenant must have had cable because there was a connection box thingy in the bedroom anyway.

When the man came to install he asked me where I wanted my services installed, I told him the front bedroom. He asked me where abouts my TV and PC would sit and I said I'm not sure (haven't even got the furniture in my bedroom yet) but it would be either of the 2 far walls (so need quite a bit of cable). I did say to him "can you just make sure you leave enough cable for it to reach over to either of these walls" and he replied yes. Once he'd finished I went up to discover he had tacked the wire along the wall... so now, I cannot move my TV and PC to the other wall even if I wanted to. Also, the way it's done, I will have to keep my TV and PC pretty much next to each other, when I would have preferred to have one on each side of the room. I am very shy and thought he'd ask what I wanted or explain at least. And when I asked him to leave the wire loose and he said yes, I thought that would be the case or he would say no. When I had internet installed in my previous house less than a year ago, they didn't tack any wires, they simply left it loose from the socket so I could move the wire around to whatever wall I wanted.

So is it standard to tack the wires to walls? aren't they really meant to leave the wires free to be moved around by the customer?

I also imagine calling them to get them to come out and move it is gonna cost? and I bet I wont like the price either LOL. If it's a ridiculous fee then I will just get my brother to move it, it's just I am not sure how the piece of plastic where the one wire turns into two is stuck on the wall :o:.

djmagnifique
09-04-2010, 17:34
What have they tacked the wires down with? If it's just cable clips or staples you can pull them out with a pair of pliers.

jb66
09-04-2010, 19:50
Its £99 for virgin to come out again, so your brother is the best bet, most folk like a nice neat job tacked along the skirting. The white plastic splitters shell will pull of leaving two screws behind it.

failed2deliver
10-04-2010, 11:06
Virgin Media are certainly good at making dramas, shame that they don't produce any as they would certainly be good at it.
We have a similar situation with an installation 5 weeks ago ... the nice man from Virgin came out to install our new service, we were all very excited as we had only had a freeview box and a terrible arial before. We live in an older property, nice bay windows, gravel all around the front and side of the house.
I spoke to the engineer who flatly refused to either bury the cables or me to follow behind and bury them, I asked whether it would be possible to leave the cables ina way that I could bury them later, which was agreed ... and we then got on with things to do around the house leaving the engineer to sort things out.
On completion, we were delighted and it wasn't until later in the day when my wife came that we realised what a complete and utter mess the front, side and back of our home looked.
Cables can't be moved as they're behind drain pipes etc, so I called Customer Services ...
An engineer came out the following week and said that he wasn't allowed to bury cables, only to tack them to the side of buildings, albeit a cable had been buried in our front garden! He went stating that he couldn't, which I felt a reasonable interpretation to would have been 'I can't be bothered' or something similar.
Hopefully someone will call today to resolve the cabling, if not then we've decided that we'll go back to BT and put a decent arial in which we've already advised Virgin Media about.
Overall, we're happy with the service, disappointed with the installation, but we won't have 3 sets of cables stretching across our property. Our experience is on reflection that we wished we had put a digital arial on our property.
Complain nicely, for every customer that is disattisfied they probably loose another 4 or 5 potential ones through word of mouth!