PDA

View Full Version : Modem Downstream Correct????

Robert82
08-04-2010, 23:39
Ok i am new to this site.
Been having alot of issues with my 20mb for months now, keep phoning up but they keep tell me everything is fine and that the problem is software on my PC.
I have posted a copy of my downstream, can someone tell me if everything is as it should be, thanks.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 307000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 14.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.7 dB

idontpirate
08-04-2010, 23:40
No you should be at 4.0 dBmV (or around there)
im also having problems right now at 8dBmV with crap connection quality

Robert82
08-04-2010, 23:44
No you should be at 4.0 dBmV (or around there)
im also having problems right now at 8dBmV with crap connection quality

If i do a speed test i get about 19mb every time but if i use newgroups i can only get about 1200KB/s.
How can i get the dBmV down?

idontpirate
08-04-2010, 23:48
Ive been told you need to get it checked by an Engineer (This is free, apparently) just phone up and book a visit.

Robert82
08-04-2010, 23:54
Ive been told you need to get it checked by an Engineer (This is free, apparently) just phone up and book a visit.

I keep asking to have someone out to have a look at it and they keep saying it is my pc at fault, so they wont send anyone out.

pip08456
08-04-2010, 23:57
Your downstream power level is way too high and will definately cause problems. As said phone tech support for a visit 151 from Virgin phone or 08454 541111 from any other phone.

idontpirate
08-04-2010, 23:58
I keep asking to have someone out to have a look at it and they keep saying it is my pc at fault, so they wont send anyone out.

I have the same problem most of the time my friend, is what you need to do is phone up midday when the british support people will be on, and then state to them BEFORE they put you through to indians that you DO NOT NEED HELP AND YOU JUST WANT TO BOOK A TECH SUPPORT VISIT TO CHECK YOUR LEVELS. If they put you throught to indians dont waste your time, they follow scripts and are told not to react to any customers anger and just say the script.

pip08456
09-04-2010, 00:02
Phone as near to 8 am as you can. Or you can post on the help and support forum where 2nd line UK techs give support, a tech visit can be arranged from there.

http://community.virginmedia.com/

Robert82
09-04-2010, 00:02
I have the same problem most of the time my friend, is what you need to do is phone up midday when the british support people will be on, and then state to them BEFORE they put you through to indians that you DO NOT NEED HELP AND YOU JUST WANT TO BOOK A TECH SUPPORT VISIT TO CHECK YOUR LEVELS. If they put you throught to indians dont waste your time, they follow scripts and are told not to react to any customers anger and just say the script.

Thats all i have been getting m8, same thing every time i phone up.
So all i need to ask is for is a tech to check my levels and nothing else?

pip08456
09-04-2010, 00:04
You need a tech visit to have the levels adjusted, may happen in the cab in the street or in your house, still has to be booked though.

idontpirate
09-04-2010, 00:04
Thats all i have been getting m8, same thing every time i phone up.
So all i need to ask is for is a tech to check my levels and nothing else?
Yes just be firm, say you have reset everything and it is not the problem you just want to book a tech visit.

Robert82
09-04-2010, 20:33
Just phoned there to book a tech but as per it was a local center and he said he will update my modem. So i thought ok no one else had told me this before so i will give it ago and see what happens.

Just checked my downstream and it has went down to 9dBmV which is still high but better than 14dBmV so i will phone on Monday 1st thing to see if i can get some joy.

thedavid2007
11-04-2010, 14:34
Just phoned there to book a tech but as per it was a local center and he said he will update my modem. So i thought ok no one else had told me this before so i will give it ago and see what happens.

Just checked my downstream and it has went down to 9dBmV which is still high but better than 14dBmV so i will phone on Monday 1st thing to see if i can get some joy.

If your not in when the engineer visits, it's a £10 charge.

Ben B
11-04-2010, 14:36
..and if the engineer doesn't turn up, it's a £10 credit