PDA

View Full Version : How would i know i am on a fibre optic area

gino_76ph
08-04-2010, 22:30
More than a month ago i got a leaflet to my doorstep saying VM's 4-play services is available on my area and that i can get "up to 10MB" on my line whereas with the same line TT told me that i "should get at least 6MB" as i am more than a kilometre from the exchange, etc.

a new leaflet from VM arrived today saying that i now "live in a fibre optic" area. but when i checked BT Infinity's website i can only get this BT Total broadband.

so, which one should i believe? and how would i know if i live in a fibre optic area?

Ben B
08-04-2010, 22:33
Stick yer postcode into this page http://allyours.virginmedia.com/

pip08456
08-04-2010, 23:07
As if BT would tell you you could get VM services.

Ben B
08-04-2010, 23:08
As if BT would tell you you could get VM services.
Just a bit of confusion clearly, what with all the BT Infinity being rolled out

pip08456
08-04-2010, 23:13
I know it's going to be in my area end of June and my 12 mth VM contract runs out end of next month.

Been told I can expect 18Mb down and 7.7 up with Infinity for about the same price as I'm paying for my 20Mb now.

Tempting for the upload.

Ben B
08-04-2010, 23:19
Tis what you've got to consider, are you going to use that uploading bandwidth. I probably wouldn't at the minute, but may further into the future

pip08456
08-04-2010, 23:25
I wouldn't use it all continuously but it would make transferring files to my server a lot less stressfull and I don't mind losing 2Mb downspeed. That's what I did with Be when I was with them.

Ignitionnet
09-04-2010, 00:31
You'll almost certainly get much higher speeds than those. The checker and estimated speeds are incredibly conservative. People receiving those estimated speeds have tended to be connected at the full 40/10.

pip08456
09-04-2010, 00:34
I must admit I thought they were low estimates for FTTC. Now I'm even more tempted.

zing_deleted
09-04-2010, 00:37
im getting exactly the same message and my area is meant to be live end of April not end of June I think its a stock message and based on nothing

gino_76ph
09-04-2010, 22:42
i kept getting the message that says:

"With Virgin Broadband you can get the fastest broadband we can deliver down your phone line, up to 20Mb. Then, you can simply add any extras you want, including home phone."

but my my questions is what makes it different if everything goes into the same line?

Ben B
09-04-2010, 22:45
Well if you're in a fibre optic area then it shouldn't say that, cause it does come down a different line if you are. What did the letter say?

pip08456
09-04-2010, 23:09
If you are in a non Virgin Media cabled area then they will supply you with BB through BT exchange exactly the same as TT

If you are in a VM cabled area then you could take your pick of 10Mb, 20Mb or 50Mb BB options.

As mentioned above though BT are rolling out their Infinity service which will give BB up to 40Mbs

gino_76ph
10-04-2010, 22:04
the nicely printed VM leaflet that came thru my postbox says that i "now live in a fibre optic area". when i checked the BT Infinity postcode checker it says that i can get this BT Total Broadband which i think can give me " up to 20MB" speeds and that's according to the website. the last time i checked/asked TT they said that my line can "only take up anything up to 6MB" while there was a time they said it can take "up to 8MB". and this is all within a span of 2 months.

so, which one to believe? if you are confused then i am as confused as you are.....

Ben B
10-04-2010, 22:14
The VM leaflet is for VM services not BT Infinity. With VM you can get up to 50mb broadband services and the postcode checker you need to use is the one at http://allyours.virginmedia.com. If that fails to tell you that you live in a fibre optic cable area then you need to ring VM sales and quote the letter. The number is 08001831010.

Ben :)

gino_76ph
10-04-2010, 22:59
when i used the website's postcode checker i couldn't find my address. i then used a address beside mine (for example flat 2 instead of flat 1) and i got:

"You're not in a fibre optic area, but can still get our brilliant broadband down your phone line.
With Virgin Broadband you can get the fastest broadband we can deliver down your phone line, up to 20Mb."

but when i rung VM they were using "a different checker" to determine what speeds i can get.
what does that mean? what's the diferrence between VM with TT if the bb is going to the same line?

nodrogd
10-04-2010, 23:27
In the 'Fibre optic' areas VM have their own ducting/street cabinets carrying their coax/fibre hybrid network, which you would be connected directly too. Outside these areas you would get VM broadband and phone via a BT line, just as you would with other providers like TalkTalk.

Another checker you can use is the one on SAMKNOWS (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/mapping/mapping.php), but this is not 100% accurate. If you click on a map location and there is a green tick against 'Cable available' this should indicate that VM's network is present.

Ignitionnet
10-04-2010, 23:52
when i used the website's postcode checker i couldn't find my address. i then used a address beside mine (for example flat 2 instead of flat 1) and i got:

"You're not in a fibre optic area, but can still get our brilliant broadband down your phone line.
With Virgin Broadband you can get the fastest broadband we can deliver down your phone line, up to 20Mb."

but when i rung VM they were using "a different checker" to determine what speeds i can get.
what does that mean? what's the diferrence between VM with TT if the bb is going to the same line?

Please see my posts (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34982405-post6.html) from over two weeks ago (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34982580-post8.html) when you asked this same question.

You will not get significantly different speeds from Virgin compared with Talk Talk.

You almost certainly cannot get Virgin's cable service - according to the postcode checker your flats are not cabled.

Sorry.

gino_76ph
11-04-2010, 14:47
but why did people gave us those leaflets saying that we "live in a fibre optic area"? why would people lie in order to get customers?

Ben B
11-04-2010, 15:15
Fill out the spotters form http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/register/spotters-form.do

Ignitionnet
11-04-2010, 15:31
but why did people gave us those leaflets saying that we "live in a fibre optic area"? why would people lie in order to get customers?

They handed the leaflets out probably to every home in that area, ignoring that your flats weren't done while probably the surrounding homes are. They aren't given a super-exact list of postcodes and house numbers which they can't deliver to. You have looked on Virgin's database and its' answer is no so all you can do is use the link above to try and get your area enabled.

It's not uncommon for some blocks of flats to not be cabled while the surrounding homes are.

People lie to get customers because they get paid more for getting people to sign up, simples.

gino_76ph
11-04-2010, 15:52
i've been to the website to what Ben B has recommended and i shall wait for their reply....