PDA

View Full Version : New Router - Horror Story

idontpirate
08-04-2010, 22:26
I have the white netgear router, it sucks. When i try to load Steam game list it thinks its getting DDoS'd and shuts down so i get like 10 servers. Then trying to connect to one it says ping 2000 cant contact server.
I connected PC>Modem works fine.
Contacted support 10+ times, indians who tell me to reboot even after telling them i just want a new router.
I phoned the alternative number (not 151) after the phone battery was dead, from my mobile phone, got to a british woman, she said she will get me a new router for £40 (Should it even cost? I read other places people are getting replacements for free, even of the newer model d-link) and i said what model, she said same one white netgear.
I said dont bother if its the same one since it has a fault.
So, can anybody here hook me up or atleast point me in the right direction in order to get the newer model router as a replacement from VM?
Because nothing seems to work right now...

pip08456
08-04-2010, 23:09
Post in this forum nd see if 2nd linne support are more helpful http://community.virginmedia.com/

Ben B
08-04-2010, 23:23
150, thinking of leaving option, tell them the service you are getting from your router is poor and that you want a new router for free, and they should give you a Wireless N one as you are on 20mb. Or just turn of the SPI firewall in the router and see if that fixes it. As long as your PC has a firewall enabled it should be fine.

idontpirate
08-04-2010, 23:25
150, thinking of leaving option, tell them the service you are getting from your router is poor and that you want a new router for free, and they should give you a Wireless N one as you are on 20mb. Or just turn of the SPI firewall in the router and see if that fixes it. As long as your PC has a firewall enabled it should be fine.

Ben please, i have disabled every firewall going in the router, port forwarded, changed firmware, heck even phoned up netgear support and payed to talk to somebody. It dosen't work.

Ben B
08-04-2010, 23:28
Right, ring faults and tell them it keeps disconnecting and they provided it so they should sort it or ring the thinking of leaving option as I have stated above

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Woman was wrong, they ONLY do the D-Link now so the £40 would get you the D-Link one

idontpirate
09-04-2010, 15:36
I give up, their forums are useless, their phone support is useless, im going to have to go and spend my own money on a new router and then sledgehammer this when im done with it.

Can i just ask, does upgrading broadband plans extend your contract?

Ben B
09-04-2010, 15:37
If you upgrade to 50mb yes, and also getting a new router extends your contract

idontpirate
09-04-2010, 15:38
Are you joking?
I upgraded from 10meg to 20meg. Does this mean my contract has been extended?

Ben B
09-04-2010, 15:42
If they gave you a new router for upgrading, if they didn't then no

pip08456
09-04-2010, 15:42
What nic are you using over there? I've just had a quick look and can't find any post under the nic you use here in any of the relevant threads to solve your problem.

idontpirate
09-04-2010, 15:49
What nic are you using over there? I've just had a quick look and can't find any post under the nic you use here in any of the relevant threads to solve your problem.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Gaming-Netgear-Router/td-p/41340

pip08456
09-04-2010, 16:12
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Gaming-Netgear-Router/td-p/41340

Excellent first post, probably really endeared you to those who could help.:dunce:

AndyCalling
10-04-2010, 18:15
If you're using the Netgear WGR614 V9 router then there is an approach you could try. The warning is that neither Virgin nor Netgear will support your router if you do this, but since it's so cheap to replace yourself anyway and since their support is not helping you then you don't have much to lose.

You can upgrade the firmware to Netgear's latest for this router. Search for my posts on this forum, full instructions are available. I suspect this will solve your issues, as I am using the very latest firmware and don't have trouble playing AvP and DoW2 online.

Sleeper919
10-04-2010, 20:11
I'm only on 10Mb broadband but on the VM site it says new customers with L broadband can get the free N-router. Any chance I could get this?

pip08456
10-04-2010, 20:15
In a word NO not unless you upgrade.

mjpartyboy
10-04-2010, 22:21
I'm only on 10Mb broadband but on the VM site it says new customers with L broadband can get the free N-router. Any chance I could get this?

In my experience, you don't want the D-Link DIR-615 D2 that they'll give you. It looks nice and is quite easy to use, but it's a shame it affects the broadband connection from the modem making it a lottery as to what download speed you'll actually achieve at any time of the day. I'm running DD-WRT on it at the moment and that seems to have improved it, but there are still some issues.