PDA

View Full Version : D-Link Router problems

andy_smed
05-04-2010, 20:58
Hi All

Hope someone can help with these two problems I have.

1. Received a new router from Virgin after upgrading my package about 3 weeks ago. Got the router installed and everything was working fine until today. now the router it keeps disconnecting and re-connecting on my laptop and the speeds keep jumping around from 54mbs all the way down to 1mbs.

2. After initially getting the router up and running I connected my Wii to it without any problems. For some reason now the Wii couldnt connect so I removed the steeings from the Wii and tried to search for an access point again. This time it finds other access point but not mine.

Any ideas much appreciated

Andy

TMDoll
06-04-2010, 12:15
The D-Link router has caused me many issues as well as other customers on this forum. I initally thought I was being throttled but it turns out that it was just the router causing connection problems. I got a replacement from Virgin but exactly the same issues arose. Like you, I had some devices that couldn't connect at all while my laptop would vary between 1mbps and 24mbps. I believe this router has issues working with various devices at the same time.

Anyway, after a few weeks of messing around with the config and seeking advice from VM and on here I ended up buying a NETGEAR WNR2000. I updated the firmware and it has been brilliant. Loads of different devices connected, full speed connection all the time.

Just to confirm it is the router, have you connected directly to the modem? Obviously you should have full speed then.

andy_smed
06-04-2010, 12:25
Hi Thanks for the reply

Yes when I connected to the modem everything worked fine.

I search through some previous threads and found some advice about changing some of the router settings manually. Went through and set everything to Auto and suddenly everything started working again.

Full speed back on my laptop and my son is currently watching BBCiplayer on the Wii.

Thanks all lot for the reply though.

Andy

TMDoll
06-04-2010, 12:37
Dammit if this is the solution then I've wasted my money on a new router! :(

Although we did get our D-Link working now and again after a reset it always went faulty again but good luck hopefully you've cracked it

Doono
06-04-2010, 15:30
is it the N based one the Dir-615? If it is you can flash it with the 4.11 firmware on d-links website. Just be warned you do it at your own risk however that version is far more stable, still it is a rubbish router, I'm considering buying a dir 655 which is supposed to be a hell of a lot better just pretty expencive.