PDA

View Full Version : Phone line termination

jparker594
04-04-2010, 11:02
Hi, am thinking of changing to VM. I was with Telewest years ago and the cable is ready to be reconnected. How is the phone line and coax actually now terminated by VM, ie my ADSL broadband is connected to the BT master socket.
I am not allowed to use that so what do VM actually install and what modem and router do they supply? Any info gratefully received.

GordonD
04-04-2010, 12:15
Hi, am thinking of changing to VM. I was with Telewest years ago and the cable is ready to be reconnected. How is the phone line and coax actually now terminated by VM, ie my ADSL broadband is connected to the BT master socket.
I am not allowed to use that so what do VM actually install and what modem and router do they supply? Any info gratefully received.

Are you referring to Cable or ADSL, you post doesn't make it clear though there is reference to existing ADSL.

If your taking the cable broadband service then they will install their own point, assuming it's the same property that you had telewest then everything should still be in situ ref existing cable entry point/master socket.

Router and modem varies, even more so if your getting the 50mb service.

jparker594
04-04-2010, 13:50
Are you referring to Cable or ADSL, you post doesn't make it clear though there is reference to existing ADSL.

If your taking the cable broadband service then they will install their own point, assuming it's the same property that you had telewest then everything should still be in situ ref existing cable entry point/master socket.

Router and modem varies, even more so if your getting the 50mb service.

Thanks, Gordon.
I'm ADSL at the moment thinking of changing to cable, there is nothing left from Telewest apart from the cable under the floor. I only have the BT master and I cannot remember how the Telewest phone line was terminated.

I am on Talktalk for phone and broadband, and Sky for TV. obviously the phone and broadband are on the BT master socket and I have the wireless router on an extension socket in the conservatory where the desktop is.
I am hoping to carry on with the same set up and do not want to have cable modems and boxes all over the place. Ref broadband it will be the 10mb.
Is there anywhere VM have a block diagram of a home network set up?

GordonD
04-04-2010, 14:54
Thanks, Gordon.
I'm ADSL at the moment thinking of changing to cable, there is nothing left from Telewest apart from the cable under the floor. I only have the BT master and I cannot remember how the Telewest phone line was terminated.

I am on Talktalk for phone and broadband, and Sky for TV. obviously the phone and broadband are on the BT master socket and I have the wireless router on an extension socket in the conservatory where the desktop is.
I am hoping to carry on with the same set up and do not want to have cable modems and boxes all over the place. Ref broadband it will be the 10mb.
Is there anywhere VM have a block diagram of a home network set up?

Generally where the cable enters the house is where the master socket/cable point goes. However if the existing cable runs anywhere near your exisiting BT socket and presuming VM need to instal a new point for the cable/phone then they will install next to the BT socket if you ask them if thats where you want it to be.

Jon T
04-04-2010, 14:59
If your in a cable area, then you will have two feeds, one for your phone line(standard phone cable) and a co-axial feed for your broadband. Virgin don't offer ADSL if you live in a cabled area.

This will mean that you will get a cable modem from Virgin, which you would then need to plug a router into. Unless your present router has an Ethernet WAN port, then your probably going to need a new router.

jparker594
04-04-2010, 15:14
If your in a cable area, then you will have two feeds, one for your phone line(standard phone cable) and a co-axial feed for your broadband. Virgin don't offer ADSL if you live in a cabled area.

This will mean that you will get a cable modem from Virgin, which you would then need to plug a router into. Unless your present router has an Ethernet WAN port, then your probably going to need a new router.

OK thanks Jon T and Gordon.

Kymmy
04-04-2010, 18:35
Thread moved to VM Installation forum

AndyCalling
04-04-2010, 19:46
VM will provide a suitable wireless router for new subscribers at no extra charge. Just make sure you ask them for it when you order to ensure it is not forgotten. If you're on 50meg then you will likely want 'N' wireless cards/dongles for each wireless PC to get the full benefit. For 20meg and below your current 'G' (probably) connections will be fine.