PDA

View Full Version : variable attenuator for intenet

lee5768
03-04-2010, 21:08
any recommendation for a variable attenuator or should i just
but a few different DB attenuators and change as needed

purely for my downstream levels on 50Mb

at this moment they are great at around 2db and my upstream is 47db
but my downstream seems to ride up every now and then and i would like a bit of control

Graham M
03-04-2010, 21:09
You shouldn't be touching it at all, if you are getting problems, phone the 50meg helpline and they will get someone to sort it I'm sure.

pip08456
03-04-2010, 21:26
What problems are you experiencing that you need to control?

Ignitionnet
03-04-2010, 21:31
If it's working just leave it alone. Not your job to control the power levels and there is a quite wide operating range.

lee5768
03-04-2010, 21:32
You shouldn't be touching it at all, if you are getting problems, phone the 50meg helpline and they will get someone to sort it I'm sure.

no they wont do a thing because the levels are within spec
but that don't mean i don't get problems from time to time

honestly mate if you had the five months of service i have they would be the last people you would want to talk to it got that bad i had the manager of first line phone me every few days and anyone working for virgin will tell you first line don't really do that

i just want to know what attenuators to get/ what virgin use

Ignitionnet
03-04-2010, 21:49
What makes you think attenuators will fix the issue? If power levels are with spec even when higher, and mine are ok even at 9 - 10dB, it's likely that isn't the issue. Don't waste your time trying to guess and don't waste your money purchasing things that aren't likely to help, get Virgin involved, you can go straight to their second line by posting on http://community.virginmedia.com