PDA

View Full Version : green box

figgyburn
03-04-2010, 15:34
guys,forgive my ignorance but,i assume the nearer you are to a green street box the better your internet connection will be.is that correct? cheers john

Sephiroth
03-04-2010, 16:33
Up to a point. But we'd rather understyand the context of your question so as to properly advise you.

A pat answer to your question might be the one at the far end of a run might face the most problems.

Ignitionnet
03-04-2010, 16:51
guys,forgive my ignorance but,i assume the nearer you are to a green street box the better your internet connection will be.is that correct? cheers john

Nah, distance shouldn't make any difference as Virgin can compensate for distance. It's not like BT-based services where the closer you are to the exchange the better off you are, Virgin have amplifiers on their network to keep signals at the appropriate power levels. It's perfectly possible to be too close to the cabinet and have issues due to power not being adjusted properly just as it's possible to be too far away, so long as properly configured all should be fine.

nodrogd
03-04-2010, 17:43
Because Virgin use RF there can be problems with too much signal as well as not enough. All the street cabs have sets of taps at various resistances to suit the distances of coax involved, and those very close may additionaly require an attenuator to be used on the incoming coax

Peter_
03-04-2010, 20:15
In my road the is a street cab about 100 mtrs away but I am not connected to that one mine is uo the road around the bend about 600 mtrs away, I am on 20Mb and have a really good connection with good signal levels and little loss in speed.

Ignitionnet
03-04-2010, 21:55
In my road the is a street cab about 100 mtrs away but I am not connected to that one mine is uo the road around the bend about 600 mtrs away, I am on 20Mb and have a really good connection with good signal levels and little loss in speed.

Line extenders in between you and the cabinet amplifying the signal. Cabinet is probably a fibre optic node given the distance between you and it with the line extenders underground.

Peter_
03-04-2010, 22:00
Line extenders in between you and the cabinet amplifying the signal. Cabinet is probably a fibre optic node given the distance between you and it with the line extenders underground.
Plus I have a rather large 1 mtr by 0.5 mtr cable access point in front of my property so probably amplified there, all engineers assume the cabinet over t road is where I am connected.

Ignitionnet
03-04-2010, 22:42
Plus I have a rather large 1 mtr by 0.5 mtr cable access point in front of my property so probably amplified there, all engineers assume the cabinet over t road is where I am connected.

Yep there's probably a line extender under there hence the bigger inspection cover.

figgyburn
04-04-2010, 19:24
thanks guys, i was just asking as i have experienced no problems with my internet for the last three years and after reading all the posts about problems experienced with internet connections i thought the distance may have been a contributing factor. i guess i'm just lucky!!. cheers john

Sephiroth
04-04-2010, 20:35
I don't know what you got out of this thread!

I said that distance could matter. Igni, the boss, said if everything's set up properly it doesn't matter (big if).

Moldova's a happy bunny; you're a happy bunny; I'm a happy bunny. :cleader:

Ignitionnet
04-04-2010, 22:54
If stuff is badly set up you can be hosed if too close to the cabinet thanks to too much power, hosed if too far due to not enough power, hosed if in between if set up for a home that's closer or further, so distance doesn't of itself cause issues it just changes the parameters of what 'properly set up' is :)

Peter_
04-04-2010, 23:26
Yep there's probably a line extender under there hence the bigger inspection cover.
I think that it is the junction for the walk opposite my house as the are no cabinets there.

dave.m
05-04-2010, 20:21
Because Virgin use RF there can be problems with too much signal as well as not enough. All the street cabs have sets of taps at various resistances to suit the distances of coax involved, and those very close may additionaly require an attenuator to be used on the incoming coax

I'm about 20-30 meters away from my green box and had a fault recently. The engineer said the connector at the end of the cable was broken (which is was) but he also added a 6db forward path attenuator. This dropped my normally zero'ish downstream power level to -3. I though the closer to zero downstream power level the better, so I've removed the attenuator. Was that a sensible move ?

TIA,
Dave

Sephiroth
05-04-2010, 21:07
It was not a bad move if there's no ill effect after you remove it - it can always go back on. It's a good move if things have improved. You didn't say that you have a problem now.

dave.m
05-04-2010, 23:29
It was not a bad move if there's no ill effect after you remove it - it can always go back on. It's a good move if things have improved. You didn't say that you have a problem now.

No problem with the connection, I just throught it strange the engineer would add an attenuator to an already good set of power/signal levels.

Dave