PDA

View Full Version : Letter from Virgin - 50Mb broaband for £3 extra a month

jb7
02-04-2010, 23:17
Basic overview of letter:

You currently have 10mb, get 50mb for £3 extra a month!

All it says is that there will be a £35 installation fee and a £20 activation fee. My question is, will my internet bill forever be just £3 more? Or, after a certain amount of time (say 12 months).. will they randomly start charging the FULL price for £50 (which is probably like £20 more a month, rather then £3 more)

also, has anyone else already taken up this offer? Do you think it's worth it or could there be some sort of catch, seems too good to be true?

thanks

Ben B
02-04-2010, 23:19
Hi and :welcome: jb7,

What package are you on and what are you currently paying for your services if you don't mind me asking. The reason I ask is because as I was originally on 10mb and they said I could have 20mb for only 55p extra because I wasn't getting some form of discount.

Ben :)

jb7
02-04-2010, 23:21
thanks for your quick reply!

I am currently on L, 10mb @ £25 a month. I have a virgin phoneline, but don't have virgin tv - i used to have it ages ago, but don't subscribe anymore so now I just have the box that shows the free channels

broadbandking
02-04-2010, 23:22
The deal all depends on the deal you currently have, give em a call on 150 and see what they say.

Ben B
02-04-2010, 23:22
How much is your total service charge on your bill?

jb7
02-04-2010, 23:25
How much is your total service charge on your bill?

service charge? Not so sure about that one, I'll have to find out when I get home and reply back.

There's also another thing I wanted to ask about as you seem to be in the know, is there any sort of download limit? I know they advertise the service as 'unlimited', an am fully aware of the traffic management policy, but is there any limit as to how much you can download between 9pm and 9am? Or are you can you download as much as you want during those hours?

thanks again

Ben B
02-04-2010, 23:27
You can download to your hearts content on 50mb with no traffic management :)

jb7
02-04-2010, 23:29
You can download to your hearts content on 50mb with no traffic management :)

lol how about on 10mb between 9pm and 9am? I'm probably going to upgrade soon anyway, but it's something i've always wondered.

Ben B
02-04-2010, 23:32
Between 10am and 3pm you can download 3000MB before you will get capped to 2.5mb for 5 hours. Between 4pm and 9pm you can download 1500MB before you are capped to 2.5mb for 5 hours

Chrysalis
03-04-2010, 09:06
I wonder if these are been sent out to people in areas where the 10/20mbit ubr is stressed but the 50mbit has capacity galore? seems strange to give services away.

jodash
03-04-2010, 09:37
I would upgrade to 50mb for £3.00 a month (on 20mb),will give them a call and see how much it will be, im on the VIP package

Ignitionnet
03-04-2010, 10:08
I wonder if these are been sent out to people in areas where the 10/20mbit ubr is stressed but the 50mbit has capacity galore? seems strange to give services away.

No - customers can be freely moved between them depending on VM's needs. They just kick you off and send you a new config file which has a downstream retune frequency in it to push you to the 50M kit.

jrhnewark
03-04-2010, 20:35
No - customers can be freely moved between them depending on VM's needs. They just kick you off and send you a new config file which has a downstream retune frequency in it to push you to the 50M kit.You're talking about 10/20Mbps customers being pushed onto the new 50Mbps kit?

That's interesting... by doing that, would that allocate the cable modem a new IP address?

sniper007
03-04-2010, 21:32
Do UBRs work like that then? A customer can be pushed onto different ones purely via config files? I thought you were "plumbed in" to whichever UBR you were physically linked into under ground and nothing would change that?
£3 extra per month? I just upgraded from 10mb to 20mb for an extra tenner a month as I added XL phone as well, but I'm getting dire service. I'm going to try to push for free 50mb keeping my current cost. I might blag I've had a letter.

lee5768
03-04-2010, 21:58
Basic overview of letter:

You currently have 10mb, get 50mb for £3 extra a month!

All it says is that there will be a £35 installation fee and a £20 activation fee. My question is, will my internet bill forever be just £3 more? Or, after a certain amount of time (say 12 months).. will they randomly start charging the FULL price for £50 (which is probably like £20 more a month, rather then £3 more)

also, has anyone else already taken up this offer? Do you think it's worth it or could there be some sort of catch, seems too good to be true?

thanks

the reason you are being offered this is very simple really, its not a deal or anything so the price wont go up after 12 months

now the reason for this

virgin never drop a customers price even if they drop the price of the service

your paying £25 for 10Mb right ? but to a new customer 10Mb is only £12.50
so basically your paying twice as much as a new customer now

50Mb is only £28 to a new customer
20Mb is £20

personally I think its unfair that they are willing to charge double but if you don't contact them and say
OI what you playing at a new customer gets a better deal than me they will keep charging you more. FACT!

you should contact them of a weekday in working hours 8am-8pm
and choose the option I am thinking of leaving you

tell the customer relations member you have been paying double what a new customer pays and ask them to wave the connection £30 fee for the 50Mb
and sort you a better deal more in line with current prices

prices above are only when you take a phone line too

Ignitionnet
03-04-2010, 22:53
You're talking about 10/20Mbps customers being pushed onto the new 50Mbps kit?

That's interesting... by doing that, would that allocate the cable modem a new IP address?

Yep. Would come from a different DHCP scope, the one allocated to the newer kit.

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

Do UBRs work like that then? A customer can be pushed onto different ones purely via config files? I thought you were "plumbed in" to whichever UBR you were physically linked into under ground and nothing would change that?

You're physically linked to two of them, the older equipment and the 50M overlay network. You can be moved between them via a config file retuning your modem.

sniper007
03-04-2010, 23:11
Yep. Would come from a different DHCP scope, the one allocated to the newer kit.

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

You're physically linked to two of them, the older equipment and the 50M overlay network. You can be moved between them via a config file retuning your modem.

Wow...that's really interesting since I get poor service at peak times on 20mb. Maybe I should push for 50mb?

Ignitionnet
03-04-2010, 23:41
Wow...that's really interesting since I get poor service at peak times on 20mb. Maybe I should push for 50mb?

If by push you mean order it and if it's more suited to your needs sure, you're still on the old network so it may resolve things. My old 20M had some peak time congestion and I upgraded to 50 to get off the old network.

If by push you mean try and get it as a freebie I wouldn't hold your breath, if the service sucks at peak and you aren't happy get another provider :)

Chrysalis
04-04-2010, 04:46
£3 extra per month? I just upgraded from 10mb to 20mb for an extra tenner a month as I added XL phone as well, but I'm getting dire service. I'm going to try to push for free 50mb keeping my current cost. I might blag I've had a letter.

I guess I will ask to be moved to a different ubr then, I bet they will say its not that easy. :(