PDA

View Full Version : Moving VM Broadband Co Ax

drak911
01-04-2010, 13:49
I need to move my VM broadband upstairs rather than use wireless, run is about 15 metres. I want to move the modem also so cat 5 I assume is of no use, which cable do I need? Looking around screwfix do a PF100 Coax cable, would this be ok?

TMDoll
01-04-2010, 15:36
From experience with antenna feeders (similar technology) I believe that 15m extra might require the power level upped a little as you obviously get more loss over a longer cable. But obviously the VM techys might be able to shed a little more light on this. THe modem might have the ability to adjust it's own amplification dependant upon the strength of signal received.

75 Ohm Coax is all you need as long as you have the right connectors. Worked for me anyway, but I only needed a 4m cable to replace the 2(ish)mtr provided.

drak911
01-04-2010, 16:22
I dont suppose you or any other guys know what type of Coax cable VM uses?

Scrubbs
01-04-2010, 16:25
I dont suppose you or any other guys know what type of Coax cable VM uses?

do a search.. i'm sure it was mentioned somewhere

Peter_
01-04-2010, 16:28
You can find sellers on ebay selling what ever length you require complete with fittings.

Totally unsupported but I have bought a 5mtr length to move my TV.;)

Sephiroth
02-04-2010, 12:50
I think it important not to move your modem. TMDoll wasn't wrong in theory, but unless it's professionally done, you could end up with compromised shielding and thus deffo RF noise ingress.

If you can live with not seeing the modem/router lights, just run 15m of Cat 5e up to the intended point. Or, IMO, better still, use a Homeplug mains bridge (like the Devolo one I use).

HTH.

drak911
02-04-2010, 13:44
Thanks Seph

The home plug bridge sounds superb, I run a home business and have a 4 pcs on a network will this work . My sockets upstairs are on a different electrical circuit, does that matter? Also will I lose much broadband speed?

Sephiroth
02-04-2010, 14:38
If it's going to work it'll not affect your broadband speed unless you take the 14 meg cheapo (which I have!).

As to different circuits - that's difficult to judge at a distance. In principle it should work because the neutral side is common. You'd be going across the fusebox circuit breaker and it would cease working if a fuse blows until you set the breaker again.

4 PCs - no problem so long as you bear in mind the bandwidth distribution and what you're doing on each PC. You would come out of the upstairs Devolo and onto a powered switch (like a £20 6 port something from Maplin). We have 4 devices on the switch.

So go for it IMO.

amgard
02-04-2010, 17:01
I was in a similar situation, and ran a CAT5 from the modem to upstairs.

So I left the modem downstairs and connected the CAT5 from the modem to the router, which was upstairs. So no need to use wireless.

HTH

drak911
06-04-2010, 08:53
Thanks Guys

Cheers Seph, I bought the Devolo 200 Meg in the end, paid a little more to ensure the highest speed. It's an awesome bit of kit, I had an issue to begin with since the internet worked but the pcs couldnt see the server, when the devolo was off the pcs could see the server. Luckily we have an old SOHO firewall which sorted the problem.

jrhnewark
07-04-2010, 00:09
I moved my modem about a 10m run away as I wanted it to be centralised with a home server and also on the UPS (no point having the server online if the modem's not powered!).

Assuming your power levels aren't on the lower limits you'll be fine as long as you put the f-plugs on the coax correctly. If you need specific advice, you can find you power levels using the web interface on the modem and I'm sure someone here would actually do the maths for you (cable type, cable loss, length all used to calculate what power level you'll end up with at the other end of the cable).

It's really not rocket science.