PDA

View Full Version : 1st Experience of VM Install

mkdr25
31-03-2010, 20:52
Hi

First post, first day as a VM customer.

Had my install today. 1x V+ and 1V extra room.

Bit of a long day, the property had already been pulled a couple of years ago so some external cabling and a bit of chin scratching later we were up and running.

1st problem

Engineer brought a SA box, just about to install then gets a phone call ordering him not to install it and instead to go back to Barnsley (im in sheffield) and get a brand new Sammy box instead (Result!) he apologises and says he will be back in an hour.

3 and a half hours later.........

a different guy comes back with the new box and installs, takes an age but finally get up and running. iplayer wasn't working but he says that's a network problem and should be sorted within the hour. I say ok (in a new customer trusting tone) and let him leave.

2nd Problem

I watch TV happily for an hour and switch to BBC HD, the sound is garbled. I reset the box and there are now no channels at all. I reset a 2nd time, get to "20LD" and no further.

A quick google tells me this means no signal. I have a look at the F connector and quickly see the problem. The connector was bent, roughly crimped and the black plastic midsection was bulging out.

Now the dilemma....should I call VM and complain or snip the cable and re-terminate myself?.... Well I called and with the best intentions arranged for installations to call me back (bearing in mind the engineer would still be in sheffield)

no call back at all so I've taken the plunge and snipped the cable. I'm off down to maplins in the morn to get a new F connector, hopefully this will work.

I should add the 2nd box is working without fault and my HD v+ box boots no problem on that feed.

So have I had a bad day or just the normal level of customer service from VM?

Also - anyone know what type of F connector I need (ie do VM use RG6 or RG58/59 coax)?

Thanks

mkdr

Scrubbs
31-03-2010, 20:58
they are only supplied to virgin media techs....

only joking:)

take the old one with you to maplins;)

welcome to the forum( full of comedians)

mkdr25
31-03-2010, 21:01
they are only supplied to virgin media techs....

only joking:)

take the old one with you to maplins;)

welcome to the forum( full of comedians)

Haha cheers and thanks for the welcome.

on in an hour!
31-03-2010, 21:42
welcome too.
DO NOT buy the connector yourself,changing of unsuitabale F connections is part of their job as installers.
ring 150 as soon after 8.00am as you can tommorrow,explain what youve found,if the installs manager doesnt offer to come round (2 min job) then let them book a fault call.
(now do the connection yourself,as it may be 2/3 days before they get out)
explain to the fault tech why youve had to re-do the connection yourself so he doesnt charge you for the call-out.

the install tech who left the shoddy job will then get an ELF (early-life failure) against him and this will directly affect his wage/bonus.

this may sound callous,but instead of you now enjoying the benefits of your V+ HD box youre having to go on a forum and explain your woes (not to mention it giving VM a bad name) to compensate for an half-arsed install.:(

Scrubbs
31-03-2010, 21:44
oh yes, forgot to mention keep the old connector for proof

on in an hour!
31-03-2010, 21:45
haha,so did i!!! :dunce:

mkdr25
31-03-2010, 22:16
Thanks for the advice chaps.

I don't have a virgin phoneline so everytime I call it costs, and probably more than the f-connector!

If replacing the f-connector fixes the fault i'll be happy, yes I could complain but the hassle of re-booking an engineer for a tiny job is too much for me.

I will be keeping the original f-plug just in case though.

on in an hour!
31-03-2010, 22:19
thing is if you dont do the connection correctly (im not doubting your abilities here) you will end up calling them out further down the line,there are 0800 Nos you can ring if your on a BT line if in future you decide to ring.good luck either way.;)

mkdr25
01-04-2010, 13:20
thing is if you dont do the connection correctly (im not doubting your abilities here) you will end up calling them out further down the line,there are 0800 Nos you can ring if your on a BT line if in future you decide to ring.good luck either way.;)

ok update on this.

snipped and re-terminated the end with a new RG59 F plug, fit the cable like a glove, but STILL no signal.

Went into the install menu, signal monitor reported poor and no lock on DVT.

Re-terminated for a 2nd time, and again no joy.

I've called VM who are coming Monday at 8am to fix, though I was pretty angry they couldn't come sooner given that they left without testing all services and its a 5 min job to check a cable.

PS- when the 1st engineer came and ran the start-up diags, there was a fail on one of the tests (something like RF Low FAIL, though I cant really recall) he assured me "THIS IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT"... was he correct?

So no further, but I think I can rule out the F plug, and while I take no offence at people suggesting that my re-termination might be flawed, all I will say is that I've terminated an entire free sat install for my dad and another one for myself, never had any probs terminating an F plug before.

For your amusement here's the F-plug I snipped as installed by the pro installer. (Sorry its a bit blurry, taken on my phone)

Digital Fanatic
01-04-2010, 14:19
ok update on this.

snipped and re-terminated the end with a new RG59 F plug, fit the cable like a glove, but STILL no signal.

Went into the install menu, signal monitor reported poor and no lock on DVT.

Re-terminated for a 2nd time, and again no joy.

I've called VM who are coming Monday at 8am to fix, though I was pretty angry they couldn't come sooner given that they left without testing all services and its a 5 min job to check a cable.

PS- when the 1st engineer came and ran the start-up diags, there was a fail on one of the tests (something like RF Low FAIL, though I cant really recall) he assured me "THIS IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT"... was he correct?

So no further, but I think I can rule out the F plug, and while I take no offence at people suggesting that my re-termination might be flawed, all I will say is that I've terminated an entire free sat install for my dad and another one for myself, never had any probs terminating an F plug before.

For your amusement here's the F-plug I snipped as installed by the pro installer. (Sorry its a bit blurry, taken on my phone)

at least they are coming on Bank Holiday monday for you... sounds like a poor installer you got there :(

mkdr25
01-04-2010, 14:22
at least they are coming on Bank Holiday monday for you... sounds like a poor installer you got there :(

just for the record I did thank them for booking a bank holiday. Though I had hoped one of the regional engineers could drop in today as I'm in all day!

Oh well!

Digital Fanatic
01-04-2010, 14:40
just for the record I did thank them for booking a bank holiday. Though I had hoped one of the regional engineers could drop in today as I'm in all day!

Oh well!

Make sure you speak to Customer Care once fixed to get a credit for the loss of service. :)

mkdr25
01-04-2010, 14:42
Make sure you speak to Customer Care once fixed to get a credit for the loss of service. :)

How would I go about doing this? Any tips on the kind of phrases to use? Cheers

Digital Fanatic
01-04-2010, 15:01
How would I go about doing this? Any tips on the kind of phrases to use? Cheers

Once it's all fixed, just call 150 from your VM line and select billing... just explain what's happened and they will credit your account for the lost days and as you are a new customer they may add a goodwill gesture too. :)

mkdr25
01-04-2010, 15:17
cheers:)

fireman328
01-04-2010, 17:21
You will soon find out there are some cowboys on the payroll.

mkdr25
01-04-2010, 18:21
ok very quick update

complained to the exec team about the delays and issues I've had, really just to make sure someone would come on Monday.

Get a call - engineer on way in 10 minutes.

Engineer turns up 10 MINUTES LATER!!!!!!

Very nice guy, ex-telewest eng, still here replacing cable, very knowledgeable.

Long story short, the cable is low grade and installers impaled it 6 times with the nail gun. :mad:

Also, our property is sharing a cable from the greenbox to the property with nextdoor, hence low signal levels.

I'll reply later to let you know how he got on.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Ok

Paul the engineer has just left, and I now have full cable and on demand services!

A very professional guy, laid the cable logically, and took half the time of the contractor.

I am a very happy camper. I just wish I didn't have to go "to the top" to get any kind of customer service.

I hope this is the last time I see a Virgin Media technician!

mkdr25
07-04-2010, 11:18
Ok so I've been up and running quite happily for a week. Been in regular contact with the Chief Exec's office (escalated complaints) who have admitted the contractor's work on the first visit to be "deeply flawed".

They have offered me a 2 month free trial on TV XL (currently im on M+)

or

a credit for the loss of service and inconviniance. (not sure how much that would be)

A fair offer? Comments welcome....

Digital Fanatic
07-04-2010, 17:41
Ok so I've been up and running quite happily for a week. Been in regular contact with the Chief Exec's office (escalated complaints) who have admitted the contractor's work on the first visit to be "deeply flawed".

They have offered me a 2 month free trial on TV XL (currently im on M+)

or

a credit for the loss of service and inconviniance. (not sure how much that would be)

A fair offer? Comments welcome....

The 2 months XL TV would probably offer you more than a refund, value wise. :)

mkdr25
07-04-2010, 21:05
they ended up doing better than that.

6 months on XL for free. Enjoying the extra HD stuff already!!

I've gotta say, despite the install woes, a good experience of CS from VM.

Digital Fanatic
09-04-2010, 10:25
they ended up doing better than that.

6 months on XL for free. Enjoying the extra HD stuff already!!

I've gotta say, despite the install woes, a good experience of CS from VM.

good to hear :tu:

Chris
09-04-2010, 10:41
Congratulations for your persistence mkdr. Please stick around, this forum needs tenacious people like you who have learned how to get things done. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

Also, our property is sharing a cable from the greenbox to the property with nextdoor, hence low signal levels.

Am I right in thinking that this means they put a splitter on next door's cable under the pavement outside your house, rather than pulling a new cable from the cab to your house?

@ any passing VM tech: is that ever an approved procedure?

mkdr25
13-04-2010, 15:18
Congratulations for your persistence mkdr. Please stick around, this forum needs tenacious people like you who have learned how to get things done. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

Am I right in thinking that this means they put a splitter on next door's cable under the pavement outside your house, rather than pulling a new cable from the cab to your house?

@ any passing VM tech: is that ever an approved procedure?

Hi Chris

Thanks for the support. I will be sticking around while I'm a Vm customer!

Well while I'm not certain what the current situation is with external cabling, when the senior engineer finally fixed the bodged install he said the cable was being shared between 2 flats and a student house (all contained within the same huge Edwardian Villa) the cable was run before the building was split and sold on so the property was servicable, but records to show multiple occupancy hadn't been updated.

Diane Craig in Neil Berkett's office orranged for a re-pull last tuesday, not sure if thats now been done, but in anycase I have full service and all channels are good so I'm happy for now.

mkdr25
26-05-2010, 11:28
Ok quick update on an ongoing situation.

Intermittently, since I finally got up and running, I've been getting blocky, breaking up images on some on-demand content. This is most prevalent on evenings and weekends, and even more so with HD content.

My uneducated opinion is that the low SNR I suffer from is causing this at busy times for the network.

I once again emailed the very kind person in Neil Burkett's office who dealt with my previous complaint. I was told that the re-pull I thought had been done, infact hadn't, and that there was a very small chance it would. I've not been told why.

So currently I'm trying to get this problem resolved, VM are now saying this is not because I'm sharing a coax with next door, I frankly, don't beleive them!

Anyone out there been through a similar situation? I use on-demand alot, and since I was bumped up to XL for 6 months, I use TV choice alot too!

on in an hour!
26-05-2010, 18:16
Ok quick update on an ongoing situation.

Intermittently, since I finally got up and running, I've been getting blocky, breaking up images on some on-demand content. This is most prevalent on evenings and weekends, and even more so with HD content.

My uneducated opinion is that the low SNR I suffer from is causing this at busy times for the network.

I once again emailed the very kind person in Neil Burkett's office who dealt with my previous complaint. I was told that the re-pull I thought had been done, infact hadn't, and that there was a very small chance it would. I've not been told why.

So currently I'm trying to get this problem resolved, VM are now saying this is not because I'm sharing a coax with next door, I frankly, don't beleive them!

Anyone out there been through a similar situation? I use on-demand alot, and since I was bumped up to XL for 6 months, I use TV choice alot too!

your VOD is on specific transport streams so its easy enough for a tech to check the signal levels at those transport streams compared to 'regular broadcast' transport streams.
it sounds like your problem IS low levels at these specific freq's as compared to them all,because your saying its only on the VOD you are having these problems.
it doesnt take an e-mail to the CEO's office though.ring 150/151,explain your problem and hopefully they'll be able to book a tech in the next couple of days,explain fully the problem to him and he'll sort you out.;)

mkdr25
02-06-2010, 14:51
your VOD is on specific transport streams so its easy enough for a tech to check the signal levels at those transport streams compared to 'regular broadcast' transport streams.
it sounds like your problem IS low levels at these specific freq's as compared to them all,because your saying its only on the VOD you are having these problems.
it doesnt take an e-mail to the CEO's office though.ring 150/151,explain your problem and hopefully they'll be able to book a tech in the next couple of days,explain fully the problem to him and he'll sort you out.;)

In direct response to this, you are right, its not an issue to go to the top over but beings as I don't have a Virgin phone line, calling CS would cost me. I already have a couple of email contacts that have helped in the past so...why not?! The person in the CEO's escalation team has always said I should feel free to contact her.

So the latest on this ongoing saga.....

The person I've been dealing with directly has admitted that the on-demand problem would probably not be fixed in a short amount of time and has agreed to further compensate me for this. They have extended the free XL pack for an additional 6 months and allowed the installation of a 2nd V+ box downstairs for £49 including installation.

I'm happy with that but I'm still unable to use on-demand regularly so its just a matter of waiting for the situation to improve.

The engineer will also be replacing the low grade cable used on the initial install, with the hope this will increase overall signal strength.

So overall a good experience CS wise, as long as you bypass CS!:)

mkdr25
15-06-2010, 12:39
Ok yet more problems....

Booked in for the installation of the 2nd V+ box today (see above for more details).

Engineer booked for PM slot but arrived at 9am just as my flatmate was leaving. Engineer said he was too busy to come back today. Called VM point of contact I've been dealing with, she assured me the engineer would be told to return later today.

Then I received a call from VM CS, I had a 'construction issue', and the install wouldn't now take place until the 27th of July (although that may change)

Now I was aware that a re-pull was needed to ensure full signal quality, but this was highlighted after an engineer visit over 2 months ago! Suddenly this is an "unforseen issue" that has stopped the install.

I was also told the new V+ box had been installed but wasnt working. This was a flat out lie because I called my flatmate and he said the engineer hadn't been back at all. I would like the new V+ box to be tested on the current cable, to at least see if it can work! I'm worried that the mixup with install slots has forced the engineer to abandon the work uncompleted.

I'm at a loss, yesterday I had a V+ with 2nd V box working fine. Today I uncertainty, and no date as to when this construction issue will be resolved.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should do next?

weesteev
15-06-2010, 13:36
Ok yet more problems....

Booked in for the installation of the 2nd V+ box today (see above for more details).

Engineer booked for PM slot but arrived at 9am just as my flatmate was leaving. Engineer said he was too busy to come back today. Called VM point of contact I've been dealing with, she assured me the engineer would be told to return later today.

Then I received a call from VM CS, I had a 'construction issue', and the install wouldn't now take place until the 27th of July (although that may change)

Now I was aware that a re-pull was needed to ensure full signal quality, but this was highlighted after an engineer visit over 2 months ago! Suddenly this is an "unforseen issue" that has stopped the install.

I was also told the new V+ box had been installed but wasnt working. This was a flat out lie because I called my flatmate and he said the engineer hadn't been back at all. I would like the new V+ box to be tested on the current cable, to at least see if it can work! I'm worried that the mixup with install slots has forced the engineer to abandon the work uncompleted.

I'm at a loss, yesterday I had a V+ with 2nd V box working fine. Today I uncertainty, and no date as to when this construction issue will be resolved.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should do next?

A "construction" issue probably means a blockage in a duct running to your property. If your home is fed by our "Swept Tee" architecture then there may be too many cables in the duct to allow anymore to be pulled through correctly, or there may be a collapsed duct/chamber which prevents a cable being pulled through. Unfortunately there are many issues that can cause this but if this has been passed to our Construction team then it should get dealt with as quickly as possible.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

mkdr25
15-06-2010, 13:50
A "construction" issue probably means a blockage in a duct running to your property. If your home is fed by our "Swept Tee" architecture then there may be too many cables in the duct to allow anymore to be pulled through correctly, or there may be a collapsed duct/chamber which prevents a cable being pulled through. Unfortunately there are many issues that can cause this but if this has been passed to our Construction team then it should get dealt with as quickly as possible.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Thanks for the response, yes it seems they have indeed hit a blockage when trying to do the re-pull. I've now been told that the second box will be installed as planned later today, they/ I will just have to hope the signal is strong enough to cope with 2 v+ boxes until the blockage can be dugout and a new cable pulled.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:45 ----------

what I'm still a bit annoyed about is that the re-pull was highlighted as needed urgently in early April when a VM tech arrived to re-cable the inside of the house after the first contractor bodged install.

It could have been done and dusted ready for this install weeks ago.

weesteev
15-06-2010, 14:51
Thanks for the response, yes it seems they have indeed hit a blockage when trying to do the re-pull. I've now been told that the second box will be installed as planned later today, they/ I will just have to hope the signal is strong enough to cope with 2 v+ boxes until the blockage can be dugout and a new cable pulled.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:45 ----------

what I'm still a bit annoyed about is that the re-pull was highlighted as needed urgently in early April when a VM tech arrived to re-cable the inside of the house after the first contractor bodged install.

It could have been done and dusted ready for this install weeks ago.

If you currently have 2 boxes running on the drop cable serving your house without serious issue then a second V+ isnt going to make much difference, the signal levels should be fine but can be boosted with a powered Home Distribution Unit if all else fails. The Tech that fits your box will be able to make that call when fitting the V+ though, hopefully you shouldnt have any issues there.

A repull will take considerably longer thana standard callout or install engineer unfortunately, and the one thing they cant spot in advance is any blockages. Problems with duct routes will only be highlighted when the work is being carried out. Thankfully though, our civils contractors should be able to clear blockages and repair any damage to our access network pretty quickly!

Let us know how the repull go's, I hope you get this sorted soon!.

Best regards

mkdr25
15-06-2010, 15:27
yes thanks Scott, I'm told the engineer is onsite now. Hope it works out too!

Chris
15-06-2010, 17:34
How did it go then?

djstevie
15-06-2010, 18:04
Some (not all!) of the installers are absolute cowboys. I had an issue myself when i had moved home with the installer drilling holes through my stairs and running the cable up the stairwell wall (halfway up) just because he couldnt be bothered to do the install properly.

I made numerous calls to no avail and found that contacting the Twitter team was the only way to get things resolved. Why standard CS cant be like them guys i'll never know.

Hope you got the problem sorted.

mkdr25
15-06-2010, 18:31
Hi chris

went well all considered. Both v+ boxes are working well about 80% of the time, with some breakup of the image on HD channels.

So now just waiting for the construction work and re-pull to take place. This has been moved from 27th July to 6th of July pending approval from the council.

Engineer took a detailed log of the issues which was appriciated.

We know what needs doing, now it just needs to be done.

mkdr25
19-07-2010, 10:24
Hi All

probably the final update I'll do. The re-pull has 'apparently' been completed as of the 6th of July. However, we are still experience intermittent breakup of picture on some channels, The Bourne Supremacy on ITV2 last night as an example.

When I check the installers menu on the box it states the SNR as 28db, the same it was the last time I checked around a month ago (and before the re-pull).

Perhaps I'm being thick but surly running a new cable would result in an increase in SNR? After all the point of the re-pull was to make sure we had enough signal strength and quality to provide for 2 v+ boxes.

VM assure me the work went ahead as planned, but I wasn't informed after the work was completed and have had to pester the person looking after my case for details, which haven't been forthcoming.

They now want me to record a programme with image breakup in order to prove the issue, they have refused to send an engineer before I do this.

Most of the time I have an acceptable service, I just wish I didn't have to chase so much to get small issues sorted!

Digital Fanatic
24-07-2010, 13:08
Hi All

probably the final update I'll do. The re-pull has 'apparently' been completed as of the 6th of July. However, we are still experience intermittent breakup of picture on some channels, The Bourne Supremacy on ITV2 last night as an example.

When I check the installers menu on the box it states the SNR as 28db, the same it was the last time I checked around a month ago (and before the re-pull).

Perhaps I'm being thick but surly running a new cable would result in an increase in SNR? After all the point of the re-pull was to make sure we had enough signal strength and quality to provide for 2 v+ boxes.

VM assure me the work went ahead as planned, but I wasn't informed after the work was completed and have had to pester the person looking after my case for details, which haven't been forthcoming.

They now want me to record a programme with image breakup in order to prove the issue, they have refused to send an engineer before I do this.

Most of the time I have an acceptable service, I just wish I didn't have to chase so much to get small issues sorted!

28db SNR is too low (needs to be at least 29db and over) you will get problems on some channels with that.

Hope we get it sorted soon!

weesteev
26-07-2010, 14:56
Surely a 1dB difference wont affect service to that extent though ??