PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Speed Tests?

BomberAF
31-03-2010, 15:50
I want to know what is the best broadband speed tester to use, and also why are there so many different results from the different tests available?

When I use the Speedtest.net london server I always get 50Mb/s without fail, but if I use any other speed tester including the one on this ste it tell me that I get a 30Mb/s? Why is this and how can there possibly be a difference of 20Mb/s, I can understand about 5Mb/s tops but not 20.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why there is such huge differences and what ones I should trust? I would like to point out though, that when I do use the speed test .net test I also check my network connection utlity in windows and it tells me I am using 50% of my connection, which will equal 50Mb/s. When I use the other ones it will peak at 80% but come back with a result of anywhere from 20 -34 Mb/s?

Very confusing

pip08456
31-03-2010, 17:03
Perhaps this will help

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/speedtesters/page2.php

The London server at speedtest.net returns consistant results.

Chrysalis
01-04-2010, 12:53
speedtest.net does seem to be on the generous side.

eg. if my line bursts to say 1.5meg/sec for 2 seconds at the start but then limps across the line at 200kB/sec it will report an average near 1.5meg when the average is much lower.

roger skillin
01-04-2010, 13:27
i seem to have pretty consistent results on speedtest.net using Milton keynes server

Ignitionnet
01-04-2010, 16:56
speedtest.net does seem to be on the generous side.

eg. if my line bursts to say 1.5meg/sec for 2 seconds at the start but then limps across the line at 200kB/sec it will report an average near 1.5meg when the average is much lower.

Speedtest.net uses a series of downloads - 30+ of them if I remember rightly - and gives you the highest result. Think Broadband gives an average and is usually the most reliable however they've had problems with their peering (across LINX) with Virgin and Virgin have done nothing to resolve it despite TBB repeatedly engaging them.

Chrysalis
01-04-2010, 17:00
yep I noticed the issues with tbb as well, shame as it is about the best test out there.