PDA

View Full Version : Get VM (50Mb) without problems?

otester
29-03-2010, 14:15
I will be moving to Havant in the summer and hope to get VM's 50Mb (ex-NTL network?), no TV/phone.

I've heard of the massive amount of complaints in regards to problems where the installation isn't done right, the router/wireless dongle don't show up etc.

What would you guys recommend so that I get a smooth install and no problems? ;)

countbathory
29-03-2010, 14:49
I would recommend you find out which router you are likely to get an get hold of its manual from the manufactures website, do some reading an learn how to set it up yourself.
When i had my 50mb installed the virgin guy installed the modem and left, he didnt set up the router at all instead he left it in its box and the dongle sitting on my floor.
On the other hand if in the event you encounter any issues with the router in the future it is handy if you know enough about it to reset an reset it up yourself.

Spectato
29-03-2010, 14:50
Buy the company.

I've had three different installs done (though admittedly not for 50Mb) and never had a problem (with the installations themselves).
You're just going to have to take your chances like everyone else.

otester
29-03-2010, 14:58
I would recommend you find out which router you are likely to get an get hold of its manual from the manufactures website, do some reading an learn how to set it up yourself.
When i had my 50mb installed the virgin guy installed the modem and left, he didnt set up the router at all instead he left box to it an the dongle sitting on my floor.
On the other hand if in the event you encounter any issues with the router in the future it has handy if you know enough about it to reset an reset it up yourself.

Personally, I'd prefer if the engineer just installed the modem, checked it gave 50Mb + good ping then left, I like to set my own router up, isn't that the cheapest form of installation?

I'm mostly refering to problems which are out of my hands like shoddy installation fitting/stuff not turning up/speed not being correct.

Assuming I keep an eye on the installation and get him to check the speed before he leaves, that just means only "stuff not turning up" is left.

Is the engineer meant to supply me with the modem/router/dongle? I heard somewhere that the router/dongle come seperately?

PS. I may need install on first floor.

countbathory
29-03-2010, 15:08
In my experience with my install, they will install it were ever you want it although i think they have issues with drilling through internal walls (this may not be the case anymore) so i had pre drilled these holes myself an the engineer simply had to feed the cable into the room. I prefared this to having a massive long cable tracked round the room and out the door into my hall.
The quality of the work will depend on the person you get, so far ive never had an issue with this but if i did i would think id have to take the matter up with virgin cs.
The engineer will do all the tests to verify the speed/ping/power levels an so on, i tend to stand over them when theyre doing this so i can see for myself usually to the anoyance of the engineer.
In my case the engineer brought the router and dongle with him but i have heard of cases were this didnt happen an the people had to contact VM an have them posted out.

otester
29-03-2010, 15:17
In my experience with my install, they will install it were ever you want it although i think they have issues with drilling through internal walls (this may not be the case anymore) so i had pre drilled these holes myself an the engineer simply had to feed the cable into the room. I prefared this to having a massive long cable tracked round the room and out the door into my hall.
The quality of the work will depend on the person you get, so far ive never had an issue with this but if i did i would think id have to take the matter up with virgin cs.
The engineer will do all the tests to verify the speed/ping/power levels an so on, i tend to stand over them when theyre doing this so i can see for myself usually to the anoyance of the engineer.
In my case the engineer brought the router and dongle with him but i have heard of cases were this didnt happen an the people had to contact VM an have them posted out.

Hmm, well he can't get away with not giving me the modem which I guess I could hook up to directly if there was any problems.

I suppose threatening to cancel the DD a good way of getting VM to get things done? (IE: Give them 7 days to post missing items or cancel DD).

Just wondering if anyones had any direct experience with this.

I am currently only used to ADSL providers (top of Ispreview top 10 etc.) so forgive me if I seem overly paranoid. :shocked:

Ignitionnet
29-03-2010, 15:56
Hmm, well he can't get away with not giving me the modem which I guess I could hook up to directly if there was any problems.

I suppose threatening to cancel the DD a good way of getting VM to get things done? (IE: Give them 7 days to post missing items or cancel DD).

Just wondering if anyones had any direct experience with this.

I am currently only used to ADSL providers (top of Ispreview top 10 etc.) so forgive me if I seem overly paranoid. :shocked:

Threatening to cancel the DD and then doing so will just get your service suspended for non-payment.

I doubt you'll be able to go too long without being able to download your 100GB/day if that happens ;)

You will get a modem of course, that won't be missing, and most people have all equipment in place just fine so worry not - worry if it happens rather than asking ways to threaten VM, as you don't really have any especially given your usage patterns and needs and that there aren't many ISPs that can fulfill them.

otester
29-03-2010, 15:59
Threatening to cancel the DD and then doing so will just get your service suspended for non-payment.

I doubt you'll be able to go too long without being able to download your 100GB/day if that happens ;)

You will get a modem of course, that won't be missing, and most people have all equipment in place just fine so worry not - worry if it happens rather than asking ways to threaten VM, as you don't really have any especially given your usage patterns and needs and that there aren't many ISPs that can fulfill them.

If I completed a 12 month contract then cancelled, do they take back the router/dongle/modem or is it like other providers where you keep?

Ignitionnet
29-03-2010, 16:30
If I completed a 12 month contract then cancelled, do they take back the router/dongle/modem or is it like other providers where you keep?

They'll take the modem for sure - that remains their property throughout - router and dongle they'll leave with you.