PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline End of The Bill

Russ
26-03-2010, 12:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8588941.stm

Shame, I've been a fan for years even through its numerous 're-vamps'.

NoKnowledge
26-03-2010, 12:23
Yay! The storylines became far too ridiculous. I blame the writers

Kymmy
26-03-2010, 12:30
Since it went back to one show a week it's actually been quite watchable..

Paul
26-03-2010, 12:31
Shouldnt this be in TV shows ;)

mr_bo
26-03-2010, 12:32
Noooo! They can't do that, it's a legend :(

Gary L
26-03-2010, 12:33

It was always so typical. you always saw the suspect right from the start of the program, and they always lived on the Jasmine Allen estate :)

zing_deleted
26-03-2010, 12:34
I would like to see a re run from the very beginning . I prefered it then when it was a once a week hour show with Roach ,Burnside,Tosh and Cryer

Chris
26-03-2010, 13:05
A plod down memory lane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdQYX93_13U

:D

Kellargh
26-03-2010, 13:11
I cant believe it...I'm gobsmacked :(

zing_deleted
26-03-2010, 13:18
A plod down memory lane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdQYX93_13U

:D

cool there are full episodes from season 1 on youtube will watch one see how bad it is lol

Hugh
26-03-2010, 13:19
That would be 'l', wouldn't it?

zing_deleted
26-03-2010, 13:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjtDOCh8KM

you gotta look at some of the faces lol

dilli-theclaw
26-03-2010, 13:25
I only really watched it when it first started out. The only police thing I really liked was Juliet Bravo.

iFrankie
26-03-2010, 14:00
i used to watch this all the time and stopped for some reason, the odd occasion i watch it after corrie, the story lines are getting abit dull.

alferret
26-03-2010, 14:02
I used to enjoy watching the bill but stopped about 5 years ago (for no reason than other stuff to watch)

Funnily enough I put the bill on last night and watched it, boy was it bad. The direction was trying to make the show something it is not, all that moody music and dodgy camera angles, didnt like it at all.

Chris
26-03-2010, 14:04
I gave up on it in the mid 90s. It was great when it was just self-contained 30 minute eps, quick, gritty and with a pithy ending. When they decided to loosen their belts ans turn it into a sprawling soap opera it lost everything that I liked about it. Bit like Casualty, really. I don't bother with that any more either.

wwe
26-03-2010, 14:05
i car't belive itv are doing this if it defo happens channel 4 or 5 will buy then i reckon

iFrankie
26-03-2010, 14:18
i car't belive itv are doing this if it defo happens channel 4 or 5 will buy then i reckon

i don't think channel 4 will pick it up, well i couldn't see it on channel 4, maybe five.

Russ
26-03-2010, 14:53
Actually there's another element of this - what are unemployed former Eastenders/Grange Hill/Hollyoaks actors going to do for work now?!

v0id
26-03-2010, 15:58
Actually there's another element of this - what are unemployed former Eastenders/Grange Hill/Hollyoaks actors going to do for work now?!

Move onto Doctors ;)

Flyboy
26-03-2010, 16:38
I think it "jumped the shark" with the last re-vamp. I was an avid watcher until the last change, I just gave up after that. It started to go downhill when they got rid of Reg, in my opinion. Or it could be the loss of confidence the public have in the police in general that could be part of the problem (oops, bit political there ;)) I believe that if they went back to old format, it would attract some of the previous fans back to the show. In fact I think I have a few unwatched episodes stored on the box.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

I gave up on it in the mid 90s. It was great when it was just self-contained 30 minute eps, quick, gritty and with a pithy ending. When they decided to loosen their belts ans turn it into a sprawling soap opera it lost everything that I liked about it. Bit like Casualty, really. I don't bother with that any more either.

I know what you mean, I stopped watching that sometime ago when they went to shaky camera format, like in The Bill.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

I think the cast of Eastenders is about to grow significantly over the next year or so. :D

wwe
26-03-2010, 18:30
i really want them to bring it back on 2 times a week

Taf
26-03-2010, 19:25
Bring back Z Cars and Dixon of Dock Green!

Maggy
26-03-2010, 19:39
It went downhill when it got such ridiculous plots like rogue plods blowing up the station.Just plain stupid.:rolleyes:

Shame as the very first few series were very well crafted and the plots were sensible.

Mr_love_monkey
27-03-2010, 00:51
I liked it in the old days when it was grown up.

What will all those ex-eastenders actors do now?

Sasha222
27-03-2010, 00:56
I would like to see a re run from the very beginning . I prefered it then when it was a once a week hour show with Roach ,Burnside,Tosh and Cryer

I agree with you. When it started first it was really good but when they started putting in people from the soaps who had left then it became stupid and I gave up on it.

Maggy
27-03-2010, 01:00

Go off and really learn to act...and if you think I'm joking ask yourself why so many established actors are now working in soaps instead.

mr_bo
27-03-2010, 08:52

There's always next years Dancing On Ice :)

fireman328
27-03-2010, 09:25
I remember Dixon of Dock Green !

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

I remember Dixon of Dock Green !

Maggy
27-03-2010, 10:43
I hear an echo,echo,echo in here.

tex
27-03-2010, 11:07
:mad:I cant believe it...I'm gobsmacked :(
i am with you on this.
itv has taking a lot of good progames off in the pass and replced them with s--t.
they say loseing viewss, dont they think viewss may record.
they have enough carp on now, what with pepole going round houses having meal and then moan about it.
tex

Richard M
27-03-2010, 18:07
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8588941.stm

"And there was much rejoicing"

wwe
27-03-2010, 20:14
is there any chance itv will change there mind?

Hiroki
27-03-2010, 20:38
is there any chance itv will change there mind?
Lets hope not.

About time this show ended.

Maggy
27-03-2010, 21:05
Lets hope not.

About time this show ended.

Or they bring back the good writers they started with and treat viewers like adults and not soap fodder.

MadGamer
27-03-2010, 23:09
What happened to the days of decent programming? i.e Family Fortunes, Gladiators etc?

wwe
28-03-2010, 02:16
What happened to the days of decent programming? i.e Family Fortunes, Gladiators etc?

gladiators was great i was so pleased when i heard it was coming bk on but its no where near as gd as it used to be

Maggy
28-03-2010, 02:17

:banghead:

Richard M
28-03-2010, 06:03

Are you insinuating that Gladiators was decent programming?

Actually, now that I think of it... Panther ohhh... :naughty:

Makes me laugh actually:

The relationship between "Hunter" (James Crossley) and presenter Ulrika Jonsson was a tabloid focus during 1996 and 1997. The pair initially denied the affair, but later Jonsson admitted it in her 2003 biography.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiators_%28UK_TV_series%29

MadGamer
28-03-2010, 15:41
:banghead:

Are you insinuating that Gladiators was decent programming?

Actually, now that I think of it... Panther ohhh... :naughty:

Makes me laugh actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiators_%28UK_TV_series%29 Oh come on, it was much better than some of todays rubbish :)

Damien
28-03-2010, 22:10
The problem The Bill had is the same problem a lot of British Television has, rather mundane and directionless storylines. They always seem to wander, and simply be a sequence of events where each plot point serves only as an excuse to get to the next episode. There is no sense of a complete storyline, from start to finish, with a theme or a point. In short, there is no story.

An episode will not be about 'the effect of drug addiction on a family' but it will about the girl from the estate who topped herself and her mum went of her rocker so the old bill had to arrest her. There are issues and emotions that could be explored there, and would be on better shows, but instead it's just temporary friction/conflict to see out the hour all playing second fiddle to the soap opera that is in fact the main product of the shows.

It's not just the case with The Bill, there are loads of cases of this. Judge John Deed seemed to suffer from the same thing, it just descended into a soap opera.

Flyboy
28-03-2010, 22:23
I watched an episode yesterday, which I had in my V+, since Christmas. It was about Mickey Webb going undercover on the streets and tracking down some missing people. The story line was quite good, but executed in a very amateurish way. My favourite arc of recent years was the missing child (the father was played by Neil Stuke, if I remember correctly). It was engaging and suspenseful in parts (if a little predictable, I guessed it was the sister all along) and very well acted. I was hoping for similar trends for the show, but it was sadly never to be.

wwe
13-06-2010, 20:59
any news yet if itv are going to resign the bill

Peter_
13-06-2010, 22:42
any news yet if itv are going to resign the bill
They have axed the show.

http://www.thebill.com/news-and-photos/articledetail/item_100037.htm

wwe
13-06-2010, 22:46
They have axed the show.

http://www.thebill.com/news-and-photos/articledetail/item_100037.htm

i know about them axing the show i just want to see if any news on an other show going to take it on

Peter_
13-06-2010, 22:51
i know about them axing the show i just want to see if any news on an other show going to take it on
What is it you are asking then as it is supposed to have the last show completed this month for broadcast in August or September and a reprieve appears unlikely.

I rather doubt that another channel will reprieve it either, so you will just have re runs on Watch TV.

wwe
26-06-2010, 16:59
the bill was brill this week still car't belive they not re-signing it

wwe
08-08-2010, 22:23
the bill has been so brill the last couple of months car't belive its the end of it this month has any 1 heard yet if any 1 is planning on picking it up

Sasha222
08-08-2010, 23:13
the bill has been so brill the last couple of months car't belive its the end of it this month has any 1 heard yet if any 1 is planning on picking it up

When It started first I used to love it but then when they started putting in people from soaps I gave up on it and havn't watched it now for years now

Mick Fisher
09-08-2010, 10:30
When It started first I used to love it but then when they started putting in people from soaps I gave up on it and havn't watched it now for years now
Same with me. :(

It's well exceeded it's shelf life IMO.

Stuart
09-08-2010, 11:55

Unlikely. In my entire life, I can only think of a few occasions where a show has moved from channel to channel. In fact the only examples I can think of in the last 20 years are Parkinson and Men Behaving Badly (1 series on ITV, the rest on BBC). There may have been a few others, but the point is that one channel tends not to pick up another channel's programmes generally.

I think the BBC picked up Men Behaving Badly because it was a new show and it needed a little development. ITV were not willing to put in the resources required for development, so axed it after 1 or 2 series. The BBC saw potential, so bought the rights and developed it. They were proved right.

The Bill will probably be a different story. It's an old show. It's had more resources thrown at it than most shows can even dream of (certainly more than any other commercial channel can afford to throw at it, and probably enough that even the BBC would not be able to justify buying it), but it is still losing viewers.

I am not knocking The Bill. In it's time, it was probably my favourite drama, but I think maybe it's time has passed.