PDA

View Full Version : Whats Happening in Swansea during early hrs?

Welshchris
25-03-2010, 02:30
For the past 2 days i have lost connection during early hrs and this is what shows up in modem...

First it happened on 24th at 3:15am and now today at not long after 1am..

Thu Mar 25 01:09:11 2010 Thu Mar 25 01:09:11 2010 Critical (3) Ranging Request Retries exausted;
Thu Mar 25 01:09:11 2010 Thu Mar 25 01:09:11 2010 Critical (3) Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted
Thu Mar 25 01:09:17 2010 Thu Mar 25 01:09:23 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
Thu Mar 25 01:09:23 2010 Thu Mar 25 01:09:23 2010 Warning (5) B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;;
Thu Mar 25 01:09:24 2010 Thu Mar 25 01:09:24 2010 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;
Thu Mar 25 01:09:41 2010 Thu Mar 25 01:09:41 2010 Warning (5) MDD message timeout;
Thu Mar 25 01:09:50 2010 Time Not Established Warning (5) ToD request sent - No Response received;
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;
Time Not Established Thu Mar 25 01:16:01 2010 Warning (5) MDD message timeout;

Maggy
25-03-2010, 07:22
Apparently nothing..Did you actually check the service status pages at VM to see if it was national.

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.do

https://national.virginmedia.com/service-announcements/status

Welshchris
25-03-2010, 08:13
yep and nothing.

+ after that post it went off again and now modem takes a hell of a long time to lock onto an upstream channel like 20 seconds or so.

Ignitionnet
25-03-2010, 10:59
It's the time when most people are asleep and service disrupting work is done on the networks which is not always documented to customers especially if the outages are brief.

Not noteworthy there should be a fair bit of work in a variety of places going on which will not be documented on service status due to brevity of outages.

Maintenance window is 1am - 6am as I remember, outages between those periods are nothing to be concerned about.

EDIT: Given you posted this both here and on the official forum I would speculate you'll get a more informed answer from the staff who are paid to answer there.

bayonet
25-03-2010, 12:28
I'm in Swansea nothing showing on the modem log. Just run a download and getting 18meg no problem. haven't rebooted recently but I did notice there was something in the log about a software upgrade. This was about 2 or 3 days ago tbh I didn't take a lot of notice

Welshchris
25-03-2010, 13:37
It's the time when most people are asleep and service disrupting work is done on the networks which is not always documented to customers especially if the outages are brief.

Not noteworthy there should be a fair bit of work in a variety of places going on which will not be documented on service status due to brevity of outages.

Maintenance window is 1am - 6am as I remember, outages between those periods are nothing to be concerned about.

EDIT: Given you posted this both here and on the official forum I would speculate you'll get a more informed answer from the staff who are paid to answer there.

What im a bit worried about since whatever they have done the modem takes ages now to lock on to an upstream channel 20 - 30 seconds.

Ignitionnet
25-03-2010, 13:46
Simple solution is to not reboot it in that case, especially given there's only one upstream channel available so nothing to change through rebooting.

Flyboy
25-03-2010, 13:50
When I read this thread title, I thought it was some promotion for a new nightclub? :D:D:D:D:D

Welshchris
25-03-2010, 16:17
Simple solution is to not reboot it in that case, especially given there's only one upstream channel available so nothing to change through rebooting.

but i have to reboot it when it goes off in the early hrs to regain a connection.

amorrd
25-03-2010, 17:12
Same issue for me, connection seems to drop usually in the early hours only a reboot restores it. Actually just dropped a few minutes ago.

Thu Mar 25 16:19:07 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Thu Mar 25 16:19:09 2010 Critical (3) Ranging Request Retries exausted
Thu Mar 25 16:19:09 2010 Critical (3) Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted

Connection Drops! sync lights goes out and then blinks for a few seconds then stays on solid but have to reboot the modem to get the net back on. I had this issue most nights earlier in the year and I thought it was now resolved but in the last week I'm seeing this quite often again. It drops even when I'm hard wired directly to the CM. Newsgroups have been no help, they tell me to call them when it disconnects, but their closed :confused: I do try to be a good boy and leave my downloads running overnight but I'm reluctant to do this if the connection is going to drop out.

The frequency of the disconnections I'm seeing make me think it is unlikely due to maintenance work and I'm told my uBR has already been patched. Not sure if it's relevant but about the time I started seeing this issue again coincides with when the upstream mini-slot changed from 2 to 4.

III
26-03-2010, 19:59
Looks like the VM support guys are baffled to since there are not network faults, local RF is good. So your getting another new modem, how many modems is that you've had now?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Whats-Happening-in-Swansea-during-early-hrs/td-p/34730

FYI. Testing and network fault finding/repairs/upgrades are done around 1AM.

Ignitionnet
26-03-2010, 20:02
Looks like the VM support guys are baffled to since there are not network faults, local RF is good. So your getting another new modem, how many modems is that you've had now?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Whats-Happening-in-Swansea-during-early-hrs/td-p/34730

You mean when they have to disconnect nodes entirely and forward / return paths on others in order to isolate ingress, balance lasers and resegment cards / split nodes?

Peter_
26-03-2010, 20:08
How can they be sending a 50Mb modem out to him as that is not an option for us to do as yet so he will probably get a standard model.

We have to book engineers to swap 50Mb modems.

Paul
26-03-2010, 20:10
Why did you post here as well as on the VM Forum ?

Peter_
26-03-2010, 20:12
Why did you post here as well as on the VM Forum ?
You cannot send him out a modem so he posted on the other forum.;):D

III
26-03-2010, 20:18
You mean when they have to disconnect nodes entirely and forward / return paths on others in order to isolate ingress, balance lasers and resegment cards / split nodes?

Oh hai!

Indeed sir, you seem quite versed in the workings of HFC.
One would have though that some disruption would happen when upgrades, you know the ones suffering cutomers keep asking for, are happening.

How can they be sending a 50Mb modem out to him as that is not an option for us to do as yet so he will probably get a standard model.

We have to book engineers to swap 50Mb modems.

**Shrugs** dunno Mol, maybe 2nd line have different options then 1st line.

And my 2ps worth, 20 to 30 seconds to lock its upstream....What....My ADSL modem/router takes around 3 to 4 mins to become operational from POST.

Peter_
26-03-2010, 20:24
**Shrugs** dunno Mol, maybe 2nd line have different options then 1st line.

We will soon find out if he gets the wrong modem.;)

And my 2ps worth, 20 to 30 seconds to lock its upstream....What....My ADSL modem/router takes around 3 to 4 mins to become operational from POST.
He is on a BSR and their modems take around 3/4 minutes minimum to come online after a reboot slightly longer than a uBR modem, probably down to the 4th downstream.:D

Welshchris
26-03-2010, 20:38

I understand network testing and upgrades are done between hrs of 1Am and 7Am this didnt account for the contiuned reboots i was getting during the daytime for 2 days also.

And for ur other question i had 3 Ambit 256 modems which was before they admitted to their Motorolla BSR issues and on my 1st 50mb modem.

Connection is now fine again and my upstream is back to 1.5mb from 1.35 since the problems occured and stopped.

Peter_
26-03-2010, 20:43
And for ur other question i had 3 Ambit 256 modems which was before they admitted to their Motorolla BSR issues and on my 1st 50mb modem.

If they have sent a modem do not be surprised if you receive a standard model, either another 256 or an EPC2100.

III
26-03-2010, 20:48
So a glitch, but rather than wait to see if it happened again/became a regular occurrence; you went and reported a non even?
Keep an eye on those lights on the modem and router, it might be worth reporting if they don't look as bright as they normally do :p:

You need to relax dude, have fun, go out. A connection dropping cable/ADSL/Dial-up every few weeks is hardly worth getting worked up about.
I hear online bingo is a good way to pass sometime away :D

Welshchris
26-03-2010, 21:17
i dont mind it dropping out, the modem wasnt just dropping out it would drop out and then just keep rebooting over and over and over and over and even if restarted myself at one point for almost 4hrs it wouldnt connect and thats why i originally reported on the first day and the same thing happened the following day but all is well now.

III
26-03-2010, 21:24
i dont mind it dropping out, the modem wasnt just dropping out it would drop out and then just keep rebooting over and over and over and over and even if restarted myself at one point for almost 4hrs it wouldnt connect and thats why i originally reported on the first day and the same thing happened the following day but all is well now.

You don't mention this in your post to support or in this thread.
Let me guess, your talking about another time and not from last night?
I recall you posting on this board, that was some weeks ago Chris.

Welshchris
26-03-2010, 22:05
i posted between 2 posts on the support thread and stated that it rebooted "Multiple times".

III
26-03-2010, 22:20
So the other fault where you couldn't gain a connection for over 4 hours and this 'fault' that happened are the same fault?

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

I'm confused now, looking through your post history I don't see your post about not connecting for 4 + hours.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/13073/post-type/message

Could you provide the link please?

Welshchris
26-03-2010, 23:29
yes i couldnt get a connection for over 4hrs as the modem was rebooting in circles over and over when the problem occured on and of for the 2 days. This is why i reported it.

When it originally went off early hrs that was fine i went to bed thinking that it was work being done, following day all was fine and then it just started rebooting. I reported it and it happened a further twice the first day and one early the following morning and twice again the following day.

But as i said since all has been fine AND!! my upstream is back to 1.5mb from 1.35mb

http://www.speedtest.net/result/762268973.png

This was taken before whatever went on and these r the readings i was getting on upstream most of time before then...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/758970772.png

nfs6600
27-03-2010, 01:45
BSR!! BSR!! BSR!! For crying out loud! Thats all you have to say in every thread!!!!! All you seam to do is mention the BSR!! and complain about it. Bugger off!!

Welshchris
27-03-2010, 01:47
and where did i mention this was a BSR problem?

nfs6600
27-03-2010, 02:03
and where did i mention this was a BSR problem?

Post #18 mentions BSR. I wasn't refering to a BSR relating this problem. But you always seam to want to mention BSR problems. This isn't your problem, it's someone elses. Try and let this whole BSR affection go please!!

I think you secretly love the BSR and she/he turned you down. That's why you are so bitter ;)

Welshchris
27-03-2010, 02:32
Post #18 mentions BSR. I wasn't refering to a BSR relating this problem. But you always seam to want to mention BSR problems. This isn't your problem, it's someone elses. Try and let this whole BSR affection go please!!

I think you secretly love the BSR and she/he turned you down. That's why you are so bitter ;)

if u reread Post 18 it was refurring to a question asked and has no bearing on this thread and if u think it does u really need to goto spec savers mate.

III
27-03-2010, 02:50

Sir, I have never wished to buy someone a drink so much as right now.
Common sense: If there was such a thing as a BSR issue then everyone connected to that BSR would suffer.
Perhaps everyone on that card.
Even that card and upstream?

Lets go nuts, a poorly DTX card on that device. Affecting hundreds of users, but is there not such a fault or common symptoms. And for these reasons the 'fault' or notion has been rejected for it is more possible that any fault if it exists is RF plant and not access or core network.

nfs6600, added to my contacts list :)

PM incoming, if you don't mind.

Ignitionnet
27-03-2010, 10:19
I'll mention BSRs.

Between mornings of 23rd and 25th, during the 1AM onwards maintenance window Cwmbwrla's overlay network (the bits that BSRs and Cisco 10k's terminate) was quite extensively resegmented and upgraded. Additional line cards were added and new ones including provisioning of additional upstreams to nodes and additional upstream port expansion on existing cards were done.

Service affecting upgrades both for capacity relief and upstream uplift prep being done within maintenance windows well outside of peak usage periods, well worth a moan.

Welshchris
27-03-2010, 10:35
I'll mention BSRs.

Between mornings of 23rd and 25th, during the 1AM onwards maintenance window Cwmbwrla's overlay network (the bits that BSRs and Cisco 10k's terminate) was quite extensively resegmented and upgraded. Additional line cards were added and new ones including provisioning of additional upstreams to nodes and additional upstream port expansion on existing cards were done.

Service affecting upgrades both for capacity relief and upstream uplift prep being done within maintenance windows well outside of peak usage periods, well worth a moan.

Thats why my upstream is back to normal then from 1.35mb when they claimed NOT to have any capacity issues on upstream. Why didnt Second line support check as i asked was there any work being done and they claimed NOTHING had been done over those dates.

III
27-03-2010, 11:12
FFS, why must there be a full investigation because you lost connection a few times during the middle of night.
Most people were either asleep or the interruption to their service so small that they hardly noticed.

Get a life.
Get a job.

Welshchris
27-03-2010, 11:13
during the night?

Didnt u read my posts? It wasnt JUST during the night it was throughout the day also for 2 days.

III
27-03-2010, 11:15
Go ask, whine and bitch about your service here.
http://community.virginmedia.com/

I think we've entertained you for long enough.

Maggy
27-03-2010, 11:20
during the night?

Didnt u read my posts? It wasnt JUST during the night it was throughout the day also for 2 days.

Well to be fair I've read though this entire thread and nowhere did I catch sight of you saying more than it happened during the early hours of the morning. :confused:

Kymmy
27-03-2010, 11:25
Can I suggest that if members don't want to get involved with certain members then they either don't read the threads, use the ignore button or simply do not reply.

Welshchris
27-03-2010, 12:30
Well to be fair I've read though this entire thread and nowhere did I catch sight of you saying more than it happened during the early hours of the morning. :confused:

check out post 18.

Maggy
27-03-2010, 13:05
check out post 18.

It's a pity you didn't mention that in the first post then..That's the one where we need all the info..and you being such a regular should know that.You did infer in that 1st post that it was ONLY the early hours. :confused:

Welshchris
27-03-2010, 13:17
It's a pity you didn't mention that in the first post then..That's the one where we need all the info..and you being such a regular should know that.You did infer in that 1st post that it was ONLY the early hours. :confused:

Yes that was the first time it happened early hrs so how was i supposed to know that for the following 2 days it would so the same?

You know some of us dont have a crystal ball.

Peter_
27-03-2010, 13:27
I thought you had 2.;):D:shocked:

Welshchris
27-03-2010, 13:38
i wish Virgin did and admit to their issues would have saved two days of hassle and a new modem and so on and so forth.

Maggy
27-03-2010, 13:42
Yes that was the first time it happened early hrs so how was i supposed to know that for the following 2 days it would so the same?

Well neither do we...

Maybe you just aren't able to report things as clearly as possible and this is what is causing everyone's confusion because I know I was confused.

Maybe instead of reporting EVERY issue that you have to us here you deal directly with CS/techs at VM.We are after all just a help site and we don't all have the access that you require.

Or you relax like I usually do and just wait to see if an issue has been raised in the status pages or I get onto VM's status phone number(0800 561 0061) to check.If it's not flagged I then wait for a few hours to see it it resolves.if it doesn't THEN I phone up for assistance.I almost never come here and say anything because I've found that either it's a major issue and VM will fix it or it's just a blip and it's not worth saying anything about.

Try chilling out about it..you'll live longer.;)

Paul
27-03-2010, 13:43
Another pointless bitching thread, duplicate of a VM forum thread as well. Closed.