PDA

View Full Version : Sudden recovery after weeks of slow speed just before suport call!

filbert42
23-03-2010, 17:59
I have had weeks of poor speed in my Reading flat (ranging from 1Mb to 4 with mostly 2 or less) on my 10 Mb line. Same problem on all my connections, wired, wifi, etc.

I finally decided to do something about it and came back early to phone support tonight. Magically, between 4:30pm and 4:40pm (when I ran speedtest, as I was working through the menus to get to the person) it went back to 9.85Mb/sec!

Is this really an extremely unlikely co-incidence, or did using the phone actually make something get better??? I can't really believe it did...

Any thoughts welcome..

Rgrds

Peter

Matt-08
23-03-2010, 18:45
Has to be pure coincidence I'm afraid...

pip08456
23-03-2010, 18:46
I would say merely coincidence. Perhaps there was an upgrade planned for some reason and it juast happened to be completed when you eventually got fed up.

Just be glad it's sorted and keep an eye on it.

Peter_
23-03-2010, 19:04
It was coincidence nothing more unless someone at Virginmedia has psychic abilities.

saabmania2
23-03-2010, 19:44
put that ball away Moldova:D

filbert42
24-03-2010, 17:49
It was coincidence nothing more unless someone at Virginmedia has psychic abilities.

I was wondering more if making the outgoing call (I have a Virgin phone line) in some way affected the modem or connection in some way.

Rgrds

Peter

Peter_
24-03-2010, 20:26
I was wondering more if making the outgoing call (I have a Virgin phone line) in some way affected the modem or connection in some way.

Rgrds

Peter
They are not connected in anyway as your incoming cable from the street is a siamese cable with one side purely for Telco and the other thicker side carries Broadband and the DTV signals.

filbert42
24-03-2010, 22:05
They are not connected in anyway as your incoming cable from the street is a siamese cable with one side purely for Telco and the other thicker side carries Broadband and the DTV signals.

Thanks for the info - I didn't know that.

It seems a remarkable co-incidence that, after weeks of slow service, it should get better just as I pick up the phone to call!

I hope I don't get a chance to try the same magic spell again!!

Hugh
24-03-2010, 22:24
I could do with that telephone line when I want a takeaway - they would ring me back just before I rang to order to tell me it's ready to pick-up. :D