PDA

View Full Version : sockets and wires

bureaucrazy
23-03-2010, 13:54
Could someone please describe the kind of socket that virgin provide inside your home as I'm not sure how they do it.

Do they provide a seperate socket outlet point for the TV and another for the telephone?

Can I have the telephone point in the hall downstairs and the TV point in the attic? (This is because my TV distribution amplifier is in the attic with my terrestrial aerial). Will the engineer go up a ladder and drill a hole in the soffit to thread the wire through?

If I want multiroom, is it simply a case of connecting my distribution amplifier to repeat the incomming signal to a WF100 cable going to each room and then get additional boxes for each room? Or is there more to it than that?

How many WF100 cables need to go to each room? Sky+ needs 2 cables per room, is it the same with virgin or will one each do?

I want to be able to have an all singing all dancing service in HD to every room.

Thanks.

Chris
23-03-2010, 13:59
The phone socket is the same sort as BT and doesn't have to sit anywhere near the TV cables. They will put it where you want it - usually you would want it next to the existing BT master so you can swap any extension wiring into it.

They will not run TV cables to your distribution amp. They will run a separate cable for each box you have ordered, to each location you require. The cables will all emanate from the same external wall box but they should run them round the outside of the house as far as possible, rather than tacking miles of cable to your skirting.

They will not go into your loft for any reason.

g0at
23-03-2010, 18:11
Hi bureaucrazy

Reference the distributor - afaik the signal will have to come into the decoder first. You will have an output on the decoder / VM box which you can run up to your unit in the loft. It will repeat the signal currently being viewed on decoder only. Not too sure about repeating the incoming signal around the house and sitting a VMbox on the end of it in each room - sounds ok in theory..

That's how I understand it anyway... I was going to employ a similar setup, however decided to go for multiroom as living room and bedroom are the only rooms I'm ever going to watch in - went for a seperate feed as the misses will need something to watch once i banish her upstairs in vue of the world cup.

nodrogd
23-03-2010, 18:31
All the wiring to VM's boxes is done at install, as the signal levels have to be correct. Only the standard V Boxes still have an RF output built in. The V+ boxes can only be connected via Scart or HDMI.