PDA

View Full Version : Setting up broadband on new PC

monkeyonamoped
23-03-2010, 11:15
Hello, sorry if this has been posted somewhere but I've had a quick search & can't find the answer.

My grandmother is about to take delivery of a new desktop, replacing her existing one, & obviously needs her broadband connection setting up on the new machine. I believe that she just has the desktop set up directly from the cable modem - is it just a matter of connecting the modem to the new pc, rebooting everything, and going to http://autoreg.autoregister.net to put in her details from the welcome pack, or will I need to get on to tech support?

Again, sorry if I'm going over old ground but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

pip08456
23-03-2010, 11:33
All that should need doing is connect and switch on. No need to register again.

monkeyonamoped
23-03-2010, 11:35
Thanks, I seem to remember it being a little more difficult than that when I changed mine over.

pip08456
23-03-2010, 11:44
I frequently connect different PC's as I do repairs and just plug in and go. It may be that sometime in the past you had to do it from scratch but certainly not in the time I've had an account.

zing_deleted
23-03-2010, 11:47
All that should need doing is connect and switch on. No need to register again.

if the pc is directly connected to the cable modem then the IP address will be assigned to the mac address of the network adapter on the original PC. You will need to turn off the modem( pull the power) plug it all in power on the PC and once the PC is on plug the modem in. THis will allow the IP to be assigned to the correct mac address

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

I frequently connect different PC's as I do repairs and just plug in and go. It may be that sometime in the past you had to do it from scratch but certainly not in the time I've had an account.

I bet thats to a router not directly to the modem

pip08456
23-03-2010, 12:28
I bet thats to a router not directly to the modem

No direct to modem but I do power cycle the modem, forgot to add that in original post.:D

zing_deleted
23-03-2010, 16:38
No direct to modem but I do power cycle the modem, forgot to add that in original post.:D

yes you did didnt you basically meaning your advice was wrong and mine wasnt hehehehehehehe

Lord Nikon
23-03-2010, 16:40
Add a cheap router to the system and then both machines can be used.

pip08456
23-03-2010, 17:04
yes you did didnt you basically meaning your advice was wrong and mine wasnt hehehehehehehe

OK 1 brownie point to you!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

tweetiepooh
23-03-2010, 17:33
I'd also recommend a router. A cheap wired device really is very cheap these days and most have built in firewalls that will help keep than nice new PC clean of some of the nasties out there.

pip08456
23-03-2010, 17:36
I'd also recommend a router. A cheap wired device really is very cheap these days and most have built in firewalls that will help keep than nice new PC clean of some of the nasties out there.

A decent Security suite would do the same or better. EG Eset Internet Security as well as others.

Gadgie
23-03-2010, 21:20
We have just upgraded my old desktop computer by installing one of those upgrade kits that you can buy on line. It was basically a new computer when it was finished, yet when it came to connecting it to the Internet if found the modem and connected itself.;)