PDA

View Full Version : VM broadband - should the IP address remain static except if a fault occurs?

jrhnewark
22-03-2010, 17:14
Hi all,

I'm moving house in a few weeks and looking at broadband options at the new place.

We've been with VM for a few years here and I've always run my old mail server and been very lucky to have kept a static IP address for as long as we've wanted one.

Although VM won't guarantee a static IP, is it really the case that unless a) my modem is turned off for a couple of hours or b) there is a fault on the network that results in all the DHCP leases being renewed it'll just always stay the same?

Peter_
22-03-2010, 17:19
The can be no guarantees that you will be able to keep the same IP due to Virginmedia's residential DHCP system being dynamic, and if you lose your IP the is no way for it to be assigned back to your connection as someone else will have picked it up.

Up to now you have been lucky to have kept the same IP address.

jrhnewark
22-03-2010, 17:23
Thanks for that - I understand that it's a DHCP system and therefore in theory dynamic, but I was more questioning under what circumstances VM's DHCP would re-assign a modem an IP address, other than the modem lease being dropped after a few hours due to it being off the network (i.e. unplugged).

Impz2002
22-03-2010, 18:29
Your two assumptions are correct. The IP will generally stay static but as Moldova said there are no guarantee's!

Mr.T
22-03-2010, 18:57
Hello -

Just to chip in, when I had Virgin Media I definitely had a dynamic IP address for the whole time even with the modem turned on constantly - so there's def no guarantee!

Impz2002
22-03-2010, 19:01
As I said. Hence the term "dynamic IP" lol

Peter_
22-03-2010, 19:14
Thanks for that - I understand that it's a DHCP system and therefore in theory dynamic, but I was more questioning under what circumstances VM's DHCP would re-assign a modem an IP address, other than the modem lease being dropped after a few hours due to it being off the network (i.e. unplugged).
It all depends on how many customers are in your area against the IP addresses available in your area, the fewer subscribers the more chance of retaining the same IP, so as you are moving it will depend on the amount of subscribers in thatr area.

It is all a bit of a Catch 22 scenario.