PDA

View Full Version : Loss of internet

Super_LEEDS
21-03-2010, 17:14
Hi guys

Not had any internet since this morning. Rang 151 and there was a message saying certain LS postcodes were affected - they didn't mention LS11 but they never do when it goes down due to a regional issue.

Rang again later on an the message was removed so spoke to tech support and they said there are still problems in Leeds but not my postcode. Told him about above but he wasn't having any of it and booked an engineer for Tuesday. Rang just now to see if there was a problem in Leeds still but was told there isn't though we're still down.

Looking at the modem, the RDY light is just flashing for ages and then goes solid but then the modem reset, all lights flashing and does the same over and over.

The second time I rang tech he said he could see my modem online but there must be something wrong with it and is sending me a new one out - on Wednesday. I said to him I'm going to unplug the modem and for him to tell me if it is still online. The modem was still showing online. I said isn't this a sign for a different issue?? how can my modem that is not on be showing as online on the network? I discussed this with him for ages and he kept saying the engineer will sort it etc so even after 5mins+ I asked him to check again, and he said the modem is showing as online!

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Does the 'system' take a while to refresh showing which modems are connected etc? Though he said he was connecting to it.

Also, anyone else in Leeds still having problems?

Thanks in advance.

cybernetic_tiger
21-03-2010, 17:50
There was a fibre break in Leeds last night however this was restored at about 2am:

"Loss of HFC (BBI, VoD, Interactive and DTV) and Telco for 19,928 Residential customers in the Leeds area, of which 12,600 are Telco.
The following postcodes are affected: LS6, LS11, LS12, LS13,LS14,LS19. LS27, LS28"

Can only suggest you wait for the engineer to arrive however I doubt very much it is a coincidence,

All the best.

Super_LEEDS
21-03-2010, 18:02
Thanks for the info, tiger.

Its just started working! I knew it wasn't a coincidence either but its really hard speaking with tech support sometimes... more so when you're from a technical background yourself.

here's hoping it stays up now!

philwhite100
21-03-2010, 21:01
I used to live in LS11 very close to the police station in the Longroyd's.

Super_LEEDS
22-03-2010, 19:01
Happened again! Off all day!!

Have to wait for a tech or modem, neither likely to turn before Wednesday :(

Anyone know of any oustanding issues in Leeds at all or anything else I can check?

Its an old ambit modem and I can log into it if any of the info would help.

Cheers

Moi
23-03-2010, 08:45
Until the last few weeks I think I've only experienced maybe a few days outage in the 8+ years I've been with VM but I've now had complete 1 or 2 day outages for all services last friday/sat, 2 weeks before that (2 days at the w/e also) and now this morning all services are down again.

I can't believe this is a "fibre break" unless there's some repeat vandalisium going on to VM equipement in the Leeds area.

Right now Im at work (not VM) so able to post, but I'm getting very fed up now especially as the voice recordings when you call support don't give the sort of information I'd hope for such as the underlying reason.

Anyone any more insight into the Leeds area issues over the last few weeks?

gingerprince
23-03-2010, 09:16
Hmmm, not just me then. My phone's down too! Been down about 3 times now in the last fortnight, both phone and BB (LS13). Was okay last night but down again this morning. My problem is I'm on call so can't VPN to work if I get called!

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

I wonder if it's Pikeys?

http://www.elmbridgeguardian.co.uk/news/5076934.Copper_theft_leaves_thousands_without_phon e_lines/

I know Virgin should be fibre, but they may be building their own Pikey SAN, or there may be bits of the network (apart from street) that rely on copper?

PeteTheMusicGuy
23-03-2010, 14:00
This is probby why;) http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/23/vm_leeds_theft/

Moi
23-03-2010, 14:52
Thanks Pete, that explains it and I guess under the circumstances VM can't really be blamed for the time taken to fix damage caused by **** like that

raging bull
23-03-2010, 17:40
Just come back on in Leeds.
(Getting brassed off)

Pierre
24-03-2010, 13:59
It's happened 3 times in one week, the thick B******** keep on cutting worthless (to them anyway) fibre.

If you're ****ed off go and see the pykies that keep doing it and kindly ask them to stop.

Looking at fitting lock down lids to chambers in the area.

gingerprince
24-03-2010, 14:05
I see Bradford's got an outage now too: -

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do?ticket=1224145

Wonder if it's the same lot?

Pierre
24-03-2010, 16:04
I see Bradford's got an outage now too: -

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do?ticket=1224145

Wonder if it's the same lot?

No nothing to with copper theft, it's a headend fault.