PDA

View Full Version : Controlling connection at the modem (not router or PC)?

milktheimp
20-03-2010, 12:57
It would be nice to find a way to password control on/off access to the internet that comes in via the Cable modem.

For reasons not discussed here ... the physical connect/disconect of cable is not adequate. The enable/disable of the wireless router is also not adequate.

My understanding is that the standard Virgin modem is (for reasons of reliability, maintainability etc) not accessible to make changes such as enable/disable of service.

If anyone has any good ideas, that would be very helpful
Ta

Raistlin
20-03-2010, 13:01
1. :welcome:

2. I think you might have answered your own question. I'd have gone for either a physical disconnect or disabled the connection at the router, if that's not 'adequate' then I don't know what else to suggest to you - sorry.

pip08456
20-03-2010, 13:02
You cannot make any changes to the modem settings. Any acess control must be done via the router.

Without knowing what the reasons/issues are it is difficult to be of further help.

milktheimp
20-03-2010, 13:18
Thanks, the reason to need control that can only be overridden by knowing the password is that 'those to be restricted' are bigger and on occasion angrier than their mother.

pip08456
20-03-2010, 13:19
Then this is for you, install on all PC's

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Raistlin
20-03-2010, 16:41
So set a password on the router's control panel and then control access from there.