PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on Virgin Media's 'Wireless Setup' (red page) screen - doing WGR614V9 install

videorunner
18-03-2010, 00:42
Hi, I'm new today! Hope you can help... I'm looking for some help in setting up my Wireless Virgin Netgear Router (model:WGR614V9) ...my PC is running Windows 7 but sadly is getting on in years ..no in-built wireless functionality!

Help is at hand though...a Netgear USB adaptor (WG111) ready and waiting in the wings, but first, (not being 'wireless' just yet), I want to make sure the router still wired to the modem.

After reading a thread saying Windows 7 wasn't compatible with the installation CD that comes in the box I tried a manual install, which was looking fine until suddenly a red page titled 'Wirless Setup' appeared (with Virgin Media's logo in the corner) asking me to enter either (a) a Wireless setup name (SSID) and passphrase or (b) a Router setup password (8-63 characters). I chose to try for option (b) as I wasn't ready for wireless yet.
I assumed I needed to create my own password, (if not, how do I find out what this is?), but having submitted various made up passwords of suitable character length, I keep getting an error message saying that my password must be 8-63 characters. But they were!! I've even tried both upper and lower case, with a combination of numbers and letters but no joy. So frustrating!!!

Had to disconnect the router and plug all the leads back the way they were (and reboot PC) in order to get back online the way I was before and send this request!
Any help would be much appreciated before I pull out any more hair!

Kind Regards,

Brian

moaningmags
18-03-2010, 00:44
Hi videorunner :welcome: to the forum. You may not need the wireless just now but you need to set it up. Create your SSID, a suitable passphrase and leave the router password as it is (password).
Then click Apply.
You should then be able to use the router wired and wirelessly when you're ready.

videorunner
18-03-2010, 23:15
Thanks moaningmags! :angel:much appreciation for the help ! I'll give that a go later on when I'm feeling more awake !! Will let you know how I get on.

videorunner
21-03-2010, 22:27
Wow, thank you so much ! ;) Just to let you know it finally worked! Am now wireless and have even been able to connect my Wii (based downstairs) to the web, install a few updates etc..the possibilites now seem endless....
Best wishes, Brian :D