PDA

View Full Version : Modem Flooded/Overloaded?

WHITEY_
17-03-2010, 21:42
Switched to business broadband (20Mb) not too long ago and had my modem replaced, which is exactly the same as the old one... Anyway, since then I have been having some problems with my connection.

I use Steam for various online games and when I go to refresh the server list I get barely any results, which gets less the more I refresh, I've searched on Steam forums about this and the problem is the router or modem getting overloaded/flooded with the ping requests from all the servers.

It also appears that my line is fluctuating from time to time as I would do a speed test and download speed would be reading say 4Mb/s then suddenly shoot up to 13Mb/s and back and forth, as does the upload speed.

It has only started doing this since switching to business and changing the modem, it isn't my router as I've changed that to see if it was that causing it, but doesn't affect it.

P.s. how do I retrieve my modem information?

pip08456
17-03-2010, 23:07
192.168.100.1 in your browser. User/pass is root. It would be a good idea to post ststs.

WHITEY_
18-03-2010, 08:12
Thanks, the username/password was 'user' btw.

Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address : REMOVED
Serial Number : REMOVED
Boot Code Version : 2.1.6l
Software Version : 5.68.1000
Hardware Version : 4.10

Cable Modem Status
Acquire a Downstream Channel, 403000000 Hz, Locked.
Connectivity State, OK, Operational.
Boot State, OK, Operational.
Security, Enabled, BPI.

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 42.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 41.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

I also found the 'IP Flood Detection' option in the firewall section so I've unchecked that and the Steam server refresh thing seems to be ok now. Also does the modem use a firewall? Didn't know that.

The connection is always horribly slow around peak times so I'm guessing it's just due to the capping, but I thought that was only given to heavy downloaders and I barely download anything during these times.

Lord Nikon
18-03-2010, 08:30
It is a VERY VERY BAD idea to post the serial / mac address in an open forum. I would suggest someone edit it out as soon as.

WHITEY_
18-03-2010, 08:41
oops my bad, wasn't paying attention just Ctrl + C, Cntrl + V'ing :o:

thanks for the edit

Lord Nikon
18-03-2010, 08:43
Wasn't me but I did report the post so one of the Team on here could edit it if you weren't around. Looks like Derek S did it for you.