PDA

View Full Version : Free anonymous caller rejection ?

nigelmclelland
16-03-2010, 09:52
Is it true that anonymous caller rejection was free on the old NTL network and that this still remains to be the case now for customers that were with NTL berfore Virginmedia switched to the new billing system?

Peter_
16-03-2010, 10:13
It is £2.50 now even for staff, but it is well worth it as it prevents many unwanted calls.

nigelmclelland
16-03-2010, 10:26
It is £2.50 now even for staff, but it is well worth it as it prevents many unwanted calls.

Thanks for that, but was it a freebee as I described above, and does this still remain to be the case depending on weather you joined before the days of Virginmedia?

Peter_
16-03-2010, 11:29
All new and existing customers getting the service now will have to pay the charge and for £2.50 it is a good deal.

Our Anonymous Caller Rejection blocks calls from withheld numbers, and it's £2.50 a month.

Taken from here.http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/phone/chargecalls.html

pip_k
16-03-2010, 18:47
Try *65 to switch it on and #65 to switch it off. It works for me.

nigelmclelland
17-03-2010, 11:49
Try *65 to switch it on and #65 to switch it off. It works for me.

I always thought it was same with Virginmedia and BT:

To turn on Anonymous Caller Reject, dial *227#.
To turn it off, dial #227#.
To check if it's on or off, dial *#227#.

Can someone who does not subscribe to Anonymous caller reject try this as above, see what happens and post back?

Thanks.

AndyCambs
17-03-2010, 11:58

Can someone who does not subscribe to Anonymous caller reject try this as above, see what happens and post back?

Thanks.

All depends on who your original area was - C&W, NTL or Telewest.

Peter_
17-03-2010, 12:39
Different franchises will use different numbers for it and if you do not have it you can pay £2.50 for that service or pay £3.50 and receive any or all of the services in my link above.

m419
17-03-2010, 14:16

Thanks.

It depends which area you are in, in some areas like mine activating the service can be done by dialling 1478 and de-activating is on 1479.

Anonymous Caller Rejection is charged as follows:

Virgin Media: £2.50 per month
BT: £4 per month
TalkTalk: £3.86 per month
Sky Talk: £4 per month

In addition Choose to refuse which is offered by BT is offered for lower price of around £3.50 per month

Anonymous Caller Rejection and Choose to refuse are not part of any Calling Feature packs.

Also note that,Anonymous Caller Rejection and standard calling features including Caller Display is free on BT Broadband Talk. Standard Calling features on Virgin phone lines costs £2 per month or £3.50 for a pack of 3. BT Calling features on standard BT residential lines cost £2.59 per month. A pack of 3 costs £5 per month.

batchain
17-03-2010, 15:42
Thanks for that, but was it a freebee as I described above, and does this still remain to be the case depending on weather you joined before the days of Virginmedia?
I still have free ACR from NTL days as do many others I know. When they introduced a charge they told me it would remain free to those that already have it, and so far it has done.

nigelmclelland
17-03-2010, 15:43
It depends which area you are in, in some areas like mine activating the service can be done by dialling 1478 and de-activating is on 1479.

Anonymous Caller Rejection is charged as follows:

Virgin Media: £2.50 per month
BT: £4 per month
TalkTalk: £3.86 per month
Sky Talk: £4 per month

In addition Choose to refuse which is offered by BT is offered for lower price of around £3.50 per month

Anonymous Caller Rejection and Choose to refuse are not part of any Calling Feature packs.

Also note that,Anonymous Caller Rejection and standard calling features including Caller Display is free on BT Broadband Talk. Standard Calling features on Virgin phone lines costs £2 per month or £3.50 for a pack of 3. BT Calling features on standard BT residential lines cost £2.59 per month. A pack of 3 costs £5 per month.

So can caller display and Anonymous caller reject be part of a £3.50 pack on Virginmedia ?

Peter_
17-03-2010, 15:49
So can caller display and Anonymous caller reject be part of a £3.50 pack on Virginmedia ?
Click the link I provided above for more information.

BenMcr
17-03-2010, 16:04
Different franchises will use different numbers for it and if you do not have it you can pay £2.50 for that service or pay £3.50 and receive any or all of the services in my link above.
You can't add Anonymous Caller Rejection to any feature bundle

Page 2 of the Tariff Guide http://allyours.virginmedia.com/pdf/003817-Residential-Cable-Apr-V7.pdf

m419
17-03-2010, 18:22
You can't add Anonymous Caller Rejection to any feature bundle

Page 2 of the Tariff Guide http://allyours.virginmedia.com/pdf/003817-Residential-Cable-Apr-V7.pdf

Exactly as I said in my post, no phone company includes Anonymous Caller Rejection and Choose to Refuse as part of bundles or packs, they are classified as 'Enhanced Features' or 'Advanced Features'

I classify them as 'Enhanced and advanced extortion'. Making money out of distressed and worried customers just because they are to lazy to investigate nuicence calls and the source.

Anonymous Caller Rejection is offered free on most Voip providers including BT's Broadband Talk service.

How to deal with nuicence and unsolicited calls:

Get a phone with Number Display
Order Caller Display for the line
Register with the TPS
Anonymous caller? Just let it go to voicemail or Answer machine
Don't include your name or any phone numbers on your personal greetings

That should help reduce the amount of unwanted calls, however if you are BT customer, you can register for BT Privacy with Free Caller Display, that automatically registers you onto the TPS.

However,everytime you get a sales and marketing phone call, you need to write down the time,date and any caller identification details such as the number they called from and then pass it onto the TPS, but be aware, it takes 28 days for the TPS service to become active on your registered telephone/mobile numbers.

AndyCambs
18-03-2010, 03:16
Not all VM locations offer Caller display though.

BenMcr
18-03-2010, 07:34
Not all VM locations offer Caller display though.Yet ;)

nigelmclelland
18-03-2010, 08:57
I still have free ACR from NTL days as do many others I know. When they introduced a charge they told me it would remain free to those that already have it, and so far it has done.

Why don't Virgin staff know about this and do they have any coment on this ?:dozey:

BenMcr
18-03-2010, 09:10
I think in some areas yes it was enabled without any monthly charge, a long long time ago. I've been at Virgin for 5 years and ACR has been chargeable for at least that long. Whether it still is free for some people, who those people are and how long it will remain for is anyones guess.

As VM do regular sweeps for services not paid for it may get picked up at somepoint

fatassmichael
18-03-2010, 18:16

I have them both, aswell as quick dial as part of the £3.50 feature bundle on my account, i have had it for a while though so i dont know if you can now.