PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Wireless N Adaptor

GazCBG
15-03-2010, 18:06
Hi,

When I got 50Mb last year, I was given a Netgear N router and USB Wirelss N Adaptor. I understand VM are giving D-Link equipment with 50Mb.

1. Could someone tell me the model number of the D-Link USB Wirless N Adaptor?

2. How much is it if I get it from VM?

Welshchris
15-03-2010, 18:14
Dlink DWA-140 is the adapter.

No idea how much Virgin charge as i got it free with the D Link DIR-615 router from them

BenMcr
15-03-2010, 18:23
Its £30 I think

Welshchris
15-03-2010, 18:32
or u can buy it for £19.50 here...

http://www.savertronics.co.uk/shop.php?c=09&n=676193011&i=B000PE8ONG

Peter_
15-03-2010, 18:54
If you buy it elsewhere it then it will be unsupported and you will not be covered by the 2 year warranty.

Welshchris
15-03-2010, 19:03
he will still have a 12 month warrenty + if its the same thing why wouldnt VM support it?

Money grabbing?

Peter_
15-03-2010, 19:05
he will still have a 12 month warrenty + if its the same thing why wouldnt VM support it?

Money grabbing?
It is not supported as it is 3rd party equipment.

GazCBG
15-03-2010, 20:01
Thanks.
Changing the subject a bit.

Does anyone know where I can get the Drivers for the Netgear WN111 that I got last March with my 50Mb setup.

I remember downloading it from the VM site but lost the link now.

Found it: http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/wireless/nrouter-driverupdate.php

gotcabled
15-03-2010, 21:10
hello
did you mean the WG111v3
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2558

Welshchris
15-03-2010, 21:30
lol @ the fact they class identical equipment as 3rd party. If it was the router i could understand having VM firmware but not the adapter LOL!

BenMcr
15-03-2010, 21:34
lol @ the fact they class identical equipment as 3rd party. If it was the router i could understand having VM firmware but not the adapter LOL!
Any equipment not supplied by Virgin directly is classed as 3rd party

Welshchris
15-03-2010, 21:40
but why wouldnt they support support something thats identical to what they supply?

its a bit daft to say to someone yes its the same but u didnt buy it from us therefore your not having any support.

BenMcr
15-03-2010, 21:45
but why wouldnt they support support something thats identical to what they supply?

its a bit daft to say to someone yes its the same but u didnt buy it from us therefore your not having any support.Why?

If I buy a computer from John Lewis, can I go into PC World and say 'well it's the same as the ones you sell so I want you to help me with it for free'? No, I can't

Peter_
15-03-2010, 21:52

its a bit daft to say to someone yes its the same but u didnt buy it from us therefore your not having any support.
Only you could put forward that logic.:D

Read Ben's post above for clarification.:)

Welshchris
15-03-2010, 22:44
Why?

If I buy a computer from John Lewis, can I go into PC World and say 'well it's the same as the ones you sell so I want you to help me with it for free'? No, I can't

a computer tho is built of many parts that could be different to another where as 1 adapter is just 1 IDENTICAL component.

BenMcr
15-03-2010, 23:09
a computer tho is built of many parts that could be different to another where as 1 adapter is just 1 IDENTICAL component.
Ok then. Buy a CD from HMV and try taking back to WHSmith or buy a Ford and as for help from a VW garage under warranty

Doesn't matter what it is - what matters is it will only be supported by the people you bought it from

Welshchris
15-03-2010, 23:50
but ur not returning it, ur asking for help to set it to use with ur service...

When i was with F2S at the time they sold just 2 modems but would support u to get ANY modem working.. At the time i had a one of those Alcatel modems that looked like a frog and F2S only supplied the BT 100 or 105 USB.

Yet F2S supported me and even talked me through editing a number of settings to get the connection to work smoother.

BenMcr
16-03-2010, 00:01
That's a completely different situation.

When I've spoken to Virgin National they've given me the settings required to get a 3rd party ADSL router working. Doesn't mean they support it if it goes wrong or doesn't work.

Same goes for Wireless networking. Virgin Tech Support would tell you how to enter the WPA key setting into Windows but that's it. If it doesn't work or doesn't connect it's not something they can help you with

Welshchris
16-03-2010, 00:09
but thats all the support most people will want tho.

As for it conking out and having a 2 year warrenty most people would take it back from where they got it in first 12 months or buy a new one there after.

Peter_
16-03-2010, 00:18
but thats all the support most people will want tho.

As for it conking out and having a 2 year warrenty most people would take it back from where they got it in first 12 months or buy a new one there after.
Well if you buy your equipment expect to get knocked back if you call us up because you cannot get it to work or it develops a fault as we will just refer you to the vendor.

Remember that we do not support any brand of wireless that we have not supplied and is not listed on your account as we are not trained on any 3rd pary equipment.

I do not mind you calling up for help with 3rd party equipment as it makes for a short call when we refer you elsewhere.;)

Welshchris
16-03-2010, 08:51
Moldova it does seem tho that a lot of staff are not trained to support listed equipment either lol...

Look at the issues with the older Netgear WGR614V9. Even tho it had Virgins own firmware on them and Virgin stated it was them for support i know if a lot of people inc myself that were told by virgin over and over again that it was down to us to get support from Netgear and Netgear would state no because the routers were supplied by VM.

Peter_
16-03-2010, 08:58
Moldova it does seem tho that a lot of staff are not trained to support listed equipment either lol...

Look at the issues with the older Netgear WGR614V9. Even tho it had Virgins own firmware on them and Virgin stated it was them for support i know if a lot of people inc myself that were told by virgin over and over again that it was down to us to get support from Netgear and Netgear would state no because the routers were supplied by VM.
All 3 routers are easy to deal with and I think you may be getting confused with the Netgear WNR2000 which was initially supported by Netgear when first released by Virgin.

As for the Virgin supplied WGR614 Netgear will not support it due to the embedded Virgin software onboard. so no agent should have told anyone to ring Netgear.

Welshchris
16-03-2010, 10:07
i can guarentee u im not getting confused with the WNR2000.

I had 2 WGR614V9 because the first one kept rebooting and when i brought it up with Virgin i was told to contact Netgear for the latest firmware and when i contacted netgear i was told they didnt support it because it was Virgin Media branded.

Peter_
16-03-2010, 10:59
i can guarentee u im not getting confused with the WNR2000.

I had 2 WGR614V9 because the first one kept rebooting and when i brought it up with Virgin i was told to contact Netgear for the latest firmware and when i contacted netgear i was told they didnt support it because it was Virgin Media branded.
Which is exactly as I stated above we support that router not Netgear any issue regarding support was with the people you spoke to and if they refered you to Netgear you should have called back and complained about it.

Welshchris
16-03-2010, 11:01
Moldova, even Second line support were sending people to netgear.

Peter_
16-03-2010, 11:10
Moldova, even Second line support were sending people to netgear.
I would be surprised at them sending anyone to Netgear as they would get into more trouble than any first line agent.

I have always dealt with any wireless call myself as they are in most cases an absolute doddle to do and I can do it with my eyes closed without the need for an emulator.