PDA

View Full Version : Wireless N Adaptor

blackthorn
15-03-2010, 16:40
Might be daft question but here goes anyway.
I`m on the 20mb package so it might not be applicable to me.
Today I received the new Dlink N router. Everything installed ok, so no problems there. My laptop connects fine so again no problem there.
Is it worth getting a N enabled adaptor for the laptop or doesnt it matter. And the main question is, does it have to be the Dlink adaptor or will any N adaptors do fine. They`ve got some N adaptors in Asda for £10, would that work ?

MovedGoalPosts
15-03-2010, 16:51
"g" standard wireless operates at up to 54mbps. That is much faster than the 20meg (20mbps) of your broadband connection. You'd probably not see that much difference by getting an n card just for internet use. But if you transfer files in your home network then n will show a speed difference.

Where "n" becomes really important is for users of 50 meg services. 50 meg is too close to the maximum speeds of "g" wireless, and since wireless often doesn't get a perfect speed then g can be inadequate.

Theoretically any "n" card would do the job. But the "n" standard isn't quite as agreed as "g", so there can occasionally be glitches. Sticking to one manufacturer may be best.

Peter_
15-03-2010, 18:04
You can use whatever adaptor you want but they will be unsupported by Virginmedia, if you get one from them they cost £30 and have a 2 year warranty and full technical support.

Matt-08
21-03-2010, 23:16
"g" standard wireless operates at up to 54mbps. That is much faster than the 20meg (20mbps) of your broadband connection. You'd probably not see that much difference by getting an n card just for internet use. But if you transfer files in your home network then n will show a speed difference.

Where "n" becomes really important is for users of 50 meg services. 50 meg is too close to the maximum speeds of "g" wireless, and since wireless often doesn't get a perfect speed then g can be inadequate.

Theoretically any "n" card would do the job. But the "n" standard isn't quite as agreed as "g", so there can occasionally be glitches. Sticking to one manufacturer may be best.

54Mbps actually translates to around 24Mbps internet download speed, so it is literally no use whatsoever on 50 meg, even if it is "too close to 50" as you say.

Wireless N goes from 65Mbps on 20Mhz, to 135/150 to 300Mbps on 40Mhz, depending on the adapter used. Whilst it is always recommended to stick with one manufacturer, Wireless N is now fully ratified, so there shouldn't be any issues, unless it is known conflicting/old/troublesome hardware being used.

AdamD
22-03-2010, 22:53
Weren't 50Mb users supposed to get a free wireless N adapter?
I didn't, always wondered about that, heh

Peter_
22-03-2010, 23:28
Weren't 50Mb users supposed to get a free wireless N adapter?
I didn't, always wondered about that, heh
You should have received a router and an adaptor so call tomorrow from 0800 on 0800 052 0431 and ask for one to be sent out.