PDA

View Full Version : Correctable Codewords, care to expand anyone

pabscars
12-03-2010, 08:56
Just a question to throw out there for the techs amongst us :scratch:.

I've been experiencing degraded service (at times) for ages now, gone through the usual channels and newsgroups which has helped to a degree but current 50 Mbps upstream issues are probably the cause.

That aside last night I was checking the 50 Mb modem pages (sad I know) and noticed the downstream power level had again dropped slightly, which has been continuing to do so for some months, coupled with this I've noticed lots of correctable codewords appearing.

So thinking about it I decided to remove the 8dB forward path attenuator from behind the modem and V+, which in turn raised the downstream power level to between 7 and 8.

My main point now being , I'm seeing far fewer correctable codewords now, to the point of only a few within a couple of hours.

So would I be better off having a slightly high power level and fewer correctable codewords, or should I put the attenuator back on to reduce it back to nearer zero and live with lots correctable's.

Cheers

pabscars
12-03-2010, 13:09
Just to add, nipped home for lunch and the wife was complaining that on demand wasn't working, so thinking it must be the attenuator I,d removed the night before, I reinstalled it but on demand is still pixelating badly and freezing with sound drop outs.

Does anyone know if "On Demand" is having issues at the moment.

Thanks

Welshchris
12-03-2010, 14:02
Pabscars i get a lot of correctable codewords but doesnt affect my connection. (no where near as many tho i was getting before the BSR Chassis Change on Tuesday in Swansea)

When i moved here in Nov 2008 i had a load of issues with on Demand freezing and so on as well as problems with then 20mb and turned out to be a dodgy amp in the cab.

pabscars
12-03-2010, 14:22
Cheers Chris, I will just have to see how it goes over the weekend and if problems persist give em a call.

Again.

Only reason I posted here first was to get a bit of info before I try calling again. Everyone must be busy working today :)

How did they discover the dodgy amp ?

Welshchris
12-03-2010, 14:24
by testing at the cab i think.

pabscars
12-03-2010, 15:10
by testing at the cab i think.

Ha Ha Yeah I get that bit, just wondered what drew there attention to it being an amp fault is all.

Welshchris
12-03-2010, 16:21
Ha Ha Yeah I get that bit, just wondered what drew there attention to it being an amp fault is all.

possibly other people reported the same problem.

I know my neighbour around that time was complaining that her internet was slow because she thought it was her PC and blamed something her son had done.

pabscars
12-03-2010, 18:38
Ok cheers Chris, well something is amiss, just been watching via vm STB and the box rebooted itself, then once the picture came back on, the picture and sound kept constantly flickering on and off every second and wouldn't stop until I rebooted it.

Now its settled back down, but noticed a T3 time out at the same time the TV rebooted.

So me thinks a phone call is in order.

pabscars
30-03-2010, 00:43
still getting a few correctable codewords

I tried ringing TS to ask about the codewords and the nice chap didnt know or care about them, just said you are getting good speed sir so have a nice day. You've got to laugh

Cable Modem Downstream

DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 298750000 306750000 314750000 N/A
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y N/N/N
Channel Id 60 61 62 N/A
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM N/A
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 6.952 6.952 6.952 N/A
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 2.38 3.30 3.05 N/A
RxMER
(dB) 37.36 37.94 38.26 N/A
Correctable
Codewords 134 4 18 N/A
Uncorrectable
Codewords 291 257 270 N/A

The T3's have calmed down a bit though, only 2 in the last couple of days woohoo

Welshchris
30-03-2010, 05:07
Pabcars same here. Since they did upgrade work around 25th of this month in Swansea my T3 errors have calmed down a lot. I was getting around 80 T3 errors some days now ive had 5 since last reboot which was around 10am on 28th when i replaced router.

Also my upstream speed is now as it should be.

speedfreak
30-03-2010, 10:22
Pabs you've probably read my thread but I'll post what I was told here. Mine constantly climb, they climb that much that once they reach a certain level they reset to zero and start again

Correctable
Codewords 3648623912 1623387723 1663710830 359572629
Uncorrectable
Codewords 294 945 311 280

I asked the CEO office guy to enquire about it and now that my lines been recommissioned they have said there is no noise at all on the network and that the codewords can only be being caused by something in my property or at my end. They have told me not to worry about them aslong as my speeds are ok, I'm hoping to do some testing later today with a 2nd laptop and Im going to move my equipment across the room away from the TV etc. Ive already tried this but not since the recommissioning.

I told him the concerns and what Ive been told on here about them but he has been told by networks that they arent a concern. I now probably get around 6 T3's a day. None of the techs that visited or the netwrok guy that came round knew anything about codewords.

pabscars
30-03-2010, 10:50
That is certainly a lot of Correctables Speadfreak, mine only tend to ramp up when I,m giving my network some stick, same with the T3's.

Mine can sit there all day and only get a few correctables, but the moment the wife goes on facebook and youtube, then I go on my PS3 and they start to climb.

I dont take that much notice of what the logs say as long as my connection behaves ok, but up untill a few months ago I never saw correctables and they always stayed at zero.

So I,m just putting 2 and 2 together trying to make 4.

I suppose its easy for VM to blame something in your home, but it sounds like the usual cop out to me.

Did they give you any examples of what could be causing the issue, or any tips on how to resolve it.

speedfreak
30-03-2010, 11:07
I suppose its easy for VM to blame something in your home, but it sounds like the usual cop out to me.

Did they give you any examples of what could be causing the issue, or any tips on how to resolve it.

To be honest the guy dealing with my complaints is a top guy and really helpful, I dont think its a cop out as it was him that offered to check with networks about them and hes still kept my complaint open until I can do further testing. He has offered to chase it up further if Im not happy with the answer. I've basically got to do what I tried months ago which was move my equipment from any other sources of interference as at the moment CM and router are under the TV next to V+ box/ps3 etc so Im going to move them and put them into their own sockets.

He even offered to send a tech out to move my equipment for me :) I dont hold out much hope of moving the equipment sorting it but its worth a try. The problem I have is the LAN has stopped working on my laptop so I can only use wireless for speed tests. Once Ive borrowed another laptop I can see if they are having an affect on my speeds and chase it up further.

Cant remember if I read you are leaving VM but why dont you try emailing the CEO's office. The guy on there picked up on noise spikes on his graphs that networks and the techs didnt spot

My V+ box was also glitching and rebooting but hasnt done once since they recommisioned everything

One thing I will be doing is getting a new router. When the ps3 is hardwired to the CM I now get approx 20Mbps down 1.4 up using the network test speed test on the ps but using the router it fluctuates wildly as low as 2.4Mbps/0.4 up. It performs better without the router

pabscars
30-03-2010, 11:33
To be honest the guy dealing with my complaints is a top guy and really helpful, I dont think its a cop out as it was him that offered to check with networks about them and hes still kept my complaint open until I can do further testing. He has offered to chase it up further if Im not happy with the answer. I've basically got to do what I tried months ago which was move my equipment from any other sources of interference as at the moment CM and router are under the TV next to V+ box/ps3 etc so Im going to move them and put them into their own sockets.

He even offered to send a tech out to move my equipment for me :) I dont hold out much hope of moving the equipment sorting it but its worth a try. The problem I have is the LAN has stopped working on my laptop so I can only use wireless for speed tests. Once Ive borrowed another laptop I can see if they are having an affect on my speeds and chase it up further.

Cant remember if I read you are leaving VM but why dont you try emailing the CEO's office. The guy on there picked up on noise spikes on his graphs that networks and the techs didnt spot

My V+ box was also glitching and rebooting but hasnt done once since they recommisioned everything

One thing I will be doing is getting a new router. When the ps3 is hardwired to the CM I now get approx 20Mbps down 1.4 up using the network test speed test on the ps but using the router it fluctuates wildly as low as 2.4Mbps/0.4 up. It performs better without the router

Hi Speedy, Re broadband: the actual change hasn't taken place yet, as I still have a month to get it sorted, by all means PM me with the details of the contact at the CEO's office, and I can give it a whirl, it cant hurt.

Despite my problems, I,m somewhat foolishly hoping Vm will sort something out, because I,m copping in the neck from her indoors because she loves the On demand service.

So it would be easier (by far) from one respect to stay, but frustrating as hell for me trying to game.

Funny thing you mentioned the location of the CM and router being under your TV, PS3 etc,

Me Too, but also near amps, Sky+ box and an Xbox 360. The only problem is I only have 1 double socket in the living room that I can use making it a little difficult to relocate but I could have a look into it tonight I suppose.

Thanks for the reply Speedfreak let us know how you get on :)

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

PS send me your gamertag for the PS3 and we can lag in sync with one another, should be a laugh if nothing else :) :)

speedfreak
30-03-2010, 12:14
My gamertags "kingste_"

I'll mention it to the CEO guy first before I go banding his contact details about, I dont want to pee him off lol seeing as you have explored all avenues and are now thinking of leaving VM maybe one of the CF team could put you in touch with them (hint hint CF team lol ) but I'll certainly ask him

One site I was using to check my quality of service and speed was http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/ dont know how reliable it is but it produces some funky graphs that look technical :LOL:

I was hoping one of the resident brainiacs would have replied to you about the codewords, I only know what Ive been told and yours seem that low that I wouldnt have thought they would be a problem.

pabscars
30-03-2010, 13:08
Thanks SF, and no probs if you cant forward the details, there's always other avenues.

Just nipped home for lunch and had a quick blast on MW2 and needless to say it was comical.

I'll have a look see at the link later, it may help point toward something.

Ive had a play using pathping to www.bbc.co.uk and that shows 1% packet loss at 2 different links in the chain (hop 3 and hop 6 or 7 if memory serves), which doesn't sound too bad to me.

mucho gratsi :)

speedfreak
30-03-2010, 13:46
Pabs sent you a PM about the CEO office and just so I dont get a load of pm's asking for contact details, no I cant pass them on. Is your issue only on MW2?

pabscars
30-03-2010, 14:03
Pabs sent you a PM about the CEO office and just so I dont get a load of pm's asking for contact details, no I cant pass them on. Is your issue only on MW2?

Cheers again, and keep ya fingers crossed, Re MW2, no its not just MW2 but I do play this more than any other game. its the same through 4 routers (wired or wireless), cat 5e or 6 leads, just through the modem etc,

Its behaves the same, lag spikes especially when I,m shooting at opponents but also throughout the entire game, even when I'm the host lol

cheers dude

Stuart
30-03-2010, 16:55
pabscars, if you send me your real name, postal address, VM account number and a contact phone number, I can refer this to our contacts..