PDA

View Full Version : Just been crying in laughter at India tech support

Welshchris
11-03-2010, 17:58
A mate of mine in manchester has been having a few connection issues and rang tech support and was put through to India...

They tested his line and said there was problems on his upstream and my friend asked what kind of problems and he was told that he had "Upstream flatulance" LOL!.

He was told to make a note for when the tech came out that he has "Upstream Flatulance also"

I think its been a mistranslation somewhere that should be fluctuations but its made me weak with laughter...

I can see it now when the tech comes on Monday next week, "i think i have upstream flatulance, and the tech saying phaps its best u see a doctor? lol

Lord Nikon
11-03-2010, 18:07
Imagine him going to the doctor "Doctor, I had a bad curry yesterday and since then my fluctuations have been so bad my wife had to retrieve the bed covers 5 times, her moustache fell out and my favorite goat exploded"

Kabaal
11-03-2010, 18:25
It could always be them just having a laugh ;)

Ignitionnet
11-03-2010, 19:09
Almost as amusing as that story is that you're taking the Michael out of India over their English when you can't spell the word in question.

Flatulence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence) :)

cookster
11-03-2010, 19:16
Almost as amusing as that story is that you're taking the Michael out of India over their English when you can't spell the word in question.

Flatulence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence) :)

Don't you just love the spelling police.... not

Get back to your day job as a traffic warden mate!

Ignitionnet
11-03-2010, 19:22

Usually I wouldn't bother but given it's a thread about someone else's English it had to be done.

Welshchris
11-03-2010, 19:31
here we go again, more petty arguments.

Ben B
11-03-2010, 19:33
It could have just been prenunciation, with them being from a different country and all ;) even people with certain accents in this country might prenounce it like 'flactuance'

Chris
11-03-2010, 19:47

So you don't see anything even slightly ironic in somebody starting a thread to criticise someone's use of English, when their own grip of the language is clearly less than perfect? :dozey:

LondonRoad
11-03-2010, 19:53
So you don't see anything even slightly ironic in somebody starting a thread to criticise someone's use of English, when their own grip of the language is clearly less than perfect? :dozey:

It's been the scenario in many a British sitcom over the years. The one doing the snearing is less than qualified to do so.

If the script follows the usual course the gent will be working in the call centre part time while studying hard to find a cure for hearing problems that it transpires Mancunian mate has been suffering from all these years. ;)

Welshchris
11-03-2010, 19:54
so your saying because someone didnt quite spell a word right they dont have a grip of the language? lol

Chris
11-03-2010, 19:57
so your saying because someone didnt quite spell a word right they dont have a grip of the language? lol

Yes.

For example:

"So you're saying, because someone didn't quite spell a word correctly, they don't have a grip on the language?"

LOL indeed. :dozey:

robgosty
11-03-2010, 20:33
Yes.

For example:

"So you're saying, because someone didn't quite spell a word correctly, they don't have a grip on the language?"

No suprize yu hav 19,433 posts bud, if they ar al hi quallity lik this one :rolleyes:

Russ
11-03-2010, 20:36
No suprize yu hav 19,433 posts bud, if they ar al hi quallity lik this one :rolleyes:

Most people would find his post easier to understand than yours... :erm:

Anyway, while there is irony in welshchris coming out with a typo given the thread topic, I think there's much more comedy value in what the Indian guy said - sums it up for me :D

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2010, 20:37
No suprize yu hav 19,433 posts bud, if they ar al hi quallity lik this one :rolleyes:And you have no idea how hard it is for some people to read posts like this one. I even have a translator that turns text speak back into English and it had trouble with your post.

I don't pick up people on their spelling because mine isn't very good at all.

Having said that - having a go at someone's spelling when your (the OP) is not all that good does seem a tad silly.

robgosty
11-03-2010, 20:44
And you have no idea how hard it is for some people to read posts like this one. I even have a translator that turns text speak back into English and it had trouble with your post.

I don't pick up people on their spelling because mine isn't very good at all.

Having said that - having a go at someone's spelling when your (the OP) is not all that good does seem a tad silly.

Apologies bud, think the phrase "missed the point" comes into play :D

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2010, 20:47
Apologies bud, think the phrase "missed the point" comes into play :DNo, it doesn't and no I didn't.

III
11-03-2010, 20:52
Yes.

For example:

http://www.xboxinsider.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/so_much_win.png

musicbravo
11-03-2010, 20:59
More information on correct apostrophe use can be found in this book The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage Without Apostrophes!

musicbravo
11-03-2010, 21:01
Or for commas please see Eats, Shoots & Leaves For Children: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference

musicbravo
11-03-2010, 21:02
I really do enjoy this book, used it with my year 4s only today.

xpod
11-03-2010, 21:16
So there was a Welshman, an Indian and a Scotsman and the Indian says to the Welshman.................:angel:

Sephiroth
11-03-2010, 21:31
It's amnzaig how many of the Calbe Froum taem pile in (for one rosaen or aehtnor) when WherClhiss is at the cernte of an amsniug and icnnonet post.

Maggy
11-03-2010, 21:36
I'm wondering when it became a crime to pull people up on their spelling and grammar? However I usually keep my big red teacher's biro in my pocket when wandering around the forums despite the many temptations.

I'm also wondering why the hell in this rapid high tech age some of us haven't picked up on spell checkers and cut and paste?Or even online dictionaries such as http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main

I'm also wondering just how many dyslexics there truly are in the universe?Speaking as a teacher with a sister-in-law who trained in recognising and teaching the condition, dyslexia is not as common as you might think.Text speech is as hard for them as ordinary typing so hiding behind the laziness of text speech and claiming to be dyslexic is a crock.

Also if you are going to take a pop at people for their poor use of language and poor pronunciation then you had better be prepared to find that others reciprocate right back at you.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

It's amnzaig how many of the Calbe Froum taem pile in (for one rosaen or aehtnor) when WherClhiss is at the cernte of an amsniug and icnnonet post.

It's also amazing how many of CF members don't think that CF Mods should have any opinions on any given subject.

Nice try with the misdirection as well.It's well known that the average human mind can understand wording even when the letters are out of order.The only people who will have trouble are truly dyslexic.

xpod
11-03-2010, 21:48

Moi???
I was merely having a laugh at the thread as a whole and not at WelshChris. Considering i cant spoke proper england at the best o times and my spelling and grammar often leave much to be desired i`d have a bit o a cheek myself if i had.

Like WelshChris i myself have had two or three occasions on that phone where not just me but also the poor sod in Bangalore both ended up in stitches because of the language issues.

Edit: wait...i aint on no team

Wey hey.... :-)

III
11-03-2010, 21:56

And perhaps the CF team are making light of a post that aimed to make light of persons English. They are human after all.*
Maybe Chris see's the funny side of his error, after all it was funny to see the error of someone Else's and it is said we should be able to laugh at ourselves.

I'm sure if Chris feels so aggrieved he can use the report function.

If there is something to be learned here, in my opinion it would be:
he who lives by the sword dies by the sword, also, choose your words carefully you may have to eat them.

*I'm not sure about that Russ bloke :p:

musicbravo
11-03-2010, 21:58
The books I suggested are very humourous. I'm a teacher too and I only learnt to use apostrophes and commas properly last year :dunce:. Each of us have our strengths and weaknesses, mine is not literacy. I am a mathematician through and through, hence suggesting those books, which I use to help me.

Personal pops are bad, I too think the first few comments on this page were intended light heartedly but have now been take out of context a bit

Welshchris
11-03-2010, 22:00
I'm wondering when it became a crime to pull people up on their spelling and grammar? However I usually keep my big red teacher's biro in my pocket when wandering around the forums despite the many temptations.

I'm also wondering why the hell in this rapid high tech age some of us haven't picked up on spell checkers and cut and paste?Or even online dictionaries such as http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main

I'm also wondering just how many dyslexics there truly are in the universe?Speaking as a teacher with a sister-in-law who trained in recognising and teaching the condition, dyslexia is not as common as you might think.Text speech is as hard for them as ordinary typing so hiding behind the laziness of text speech and claiming to be dyslexic is a crock.

Also if you are going to take a pop at people for their poor use of language and poor pronunciation then you had better be prepared to find that others reciprocate right back at you.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

It's also amazing how many of CF members don't think that CF Mods should have any opinions on any given subject.

Nice try with the misdirection as well.It's well known that the average human mind can understand wording even when the letters are out of order.The only people who will have trouble are truly dyslexic.

Yes and its very easy to take the micky out of someone who is dyslexic like me and who was told at the age of 12. Yes as you and the other mods have proved its so easy to poke fun isnt it for a minor spelling error.

Russ
11-03-2010, 22:06
Yes and its very easy to take the micky out of someone who is dyslexic like me and who was told at the age of 12. Yes as you and the other mods have proved its so easy to poke fun isnt it for a minor spelling error.

You're missing the point, nobody is laughing at you directly. Can you not see the irony in starting a thread about someone not having a good grasp of the English language yet them posting a typo at the same time?

danielf
11-03-2010, 22:12
To be fair, confusing flatulence and fluctuation is an order of magnitude worse than a typo, which could have been a simple mistake.

III
11-03-2010, 22:13
Victim much?

Shame on you all you knew of the OPs dyslexia, it now transpires.

Welshchris
11-03-2010, 22:14
daniel and if u read what i put it wasnt I that confused it, it was the VM person who said it not once but twice to a friend and even told him to write it down.

The point im trying to make is that Tech support is an important part of service and the language barrier can make things not only difficult but things can often get mixed up in translation and either make people feel angry or in this case ammused.

Chris
11-03-2010, 22:16

Yes, it's just as easy as poking fun at someone for choosing the wrong word whilst providing customer service in a foreign language.

If you can't take it, don't dish it out. :shrug:

musicbravo
11-03-2010, 22:17
Victim much?

Shame on you all you knew of the OPs dyslexia, it now transpires.
Shame on you all! You knew of the OPs dyslexia, it now transpires. ;)

More irony

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

oh dear what have I just uncovered?

Welshchris
11-03-2010, 22:18
Yes, it's just as easy as poking fun at someone for choosing the wrong word whilst providing customer service in a foreign language.

If you can't take it, don't dish it out. :shrug:

read my previous statement once again please

Ben B
11-03-2010, 22:18
Close the thread or we're gonna need more spades! :D

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2010, 22:20
Victim much?

Shame on you all you knew of the OPs dyslexia, it now transpires.A lot of people are not going to be able to see what you've done there. As you've written the text in white on a white background, my reader picked it up or I'd have had no clue either ;)

Anyway I've re-quoted and put it in black for you and those that didn't pick up on it :tu:

III
11-03-2010, 22:23
Oh that's right take the micky out of me because I'm colour blind, I was told this when I was 9.
Its easy for you people who can see more of the spectrum, I hope you feel good about yourselves.

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2010, 22:25
Oh that's right take the micky out of me because I'm colour blind, I was told this when I was 9.
Its easy for you people who can see more of the spectrum, I hope you feel good about yourselves.Um - ok ;)

Stop It
11-03-2010, 22:29
daniel and if u read what i put it wasnt I that confused it, it was the VM person who said it not once but twice to a friend and even told him to write it down.

The point im trying to make is that Tech support is an important part of service and the language barrier can make things not only difficult but things can often get mixed up in translation and either make people feel angry or in this case ammused.
Hey, that's not just a problem between here and India, believe me. I work in agriculture, and the amount of... let's just say differences in terminology for the same things depending on the location of the customer (All in the UK) would make your head spin.

The fact of the matter is it is not what words are used, but how they are used that is important. After all, you can be 100% fluent in BBC English yet if if you know bugger all about tech support, you'll still be rubbish. I'd accept a few translation errors if the people on the other end of the phone knew there stuff, nuff said.

P.S: I have dyslexia too, but unlike you it has made me appreciate how tough language skills can be, especially English (Which obviously isn't the techs in India's first language) so do not see it right to poke fun when people struggle. As you have noticed, it's not very pleasant went people do it, is it?

Chris
11-03-2010, 22:31
Well, this thread has a lot of people crying with laughter. If the aim was to share the mirth, I'd say it's been a resounding success.

martyh
11-03-2010, 22:31
i love the way that what was supposed to be a light hearted and humorous thread has turned into a blood fest

gotta love the cf basement ..best forum ever :D

Ben B
11-03-2010, 22:33
Dig a hole... dig a hole... dig a hole

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/03/14.gif

III
11-03-2010, 22:38
Shame on you all! You knew of the OPs dyslexia, it now transpires. ;)

More irony

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

oh dear what have I just uncovered?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/03/41.jpg

Welshchris
11-03-2010, 22:40
Hey, that's not just a problem between here and India, believe me. I work in agriculture, and the amount of... let's just say differences in terminology for the same things depending on the location of the customer (All in the UK) would make your head spin.

The fact of the matter is it is not what words are used, but how they are used that is important. After all, you can be 100% fluent in BBC English yet if if you know bugger all about tech support, you'll still be rubbish. I'd accept a few translation errors if the people on the other end of the phone knew there stuff, nuff said.

P.S: I have dyslexia too, but unlike you it has made me appreciate how tough language skills can be, especially English (Which obviously isn't the techs in India's first language) so do not see it right to poke fun when people struggle. As you have noticed, it's not very pleasant went people do it, is it?

Dont bother matey, its just little people with to much power on one website thinking they have a vast ammount of importance its not worth it :)

Chris
11-03-2010, 22:42
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4471/thisisanepicthreadoj6.png (http://img182.imageshack.us/i/thisisanepicthreadoj6.png/)

musicbravo
11-03-2010, 22:44
Talking of flatulence, there is an awful lot of it in this thread tonight.

III
11-03-2010, 22:47
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/03/40.jpg

speedfreak
11-03-2010, 22:48
welshchris, I dont know why you bother mate. The last thread you started got locked and this thread has been jumped on. I found it funny and I fail to see what spelling has to do with it :confused: Not like the thread title was "indian call centre cant spell for toffee".

Welshchris
11-03-2010, 22:53
welshchris, I dont know why you bother mate. The last thread you started got locked and this thread has been jumped on. I found it funny and I fail to see what spelling has to do with it :confused: Not like the thread title was "indian call centre cant spell for toffee".

dont worry mate as i said in the previous post, little people with to much power on one site thinking they have great importance :)

III
11-03-2010, 22:54

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/03/39.jpg

Chris
11-03-2010, 22:55
I fail to see what spelling has to do with it :confused:

Possibly you haven't actually read the thread then.

Not like the thread title was "indian call centre cant spell for toffee".

No, it was "Just been crying in laughter at India tech support". Ever heard of Curry and Chips?

speedfreak
11-03-2010, 23:07
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/03/39.jpg

:D:D:D nice pic. I dont know, just in that sort of mood :p:

Chris, yes I have read all the thread, I wouldnt comment on it if I hadnt. Curry and chips? Straight over my head that one

Chris
11-03-2010, 23:15
Chris, yes I have read all the thread, I wouldnt comment on it if I hadnt. Curry and chips? Straight over my head that one

Far be it from me to bamboozle anyone. Here you go:

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/535237/

;)

Peter_
11-03-2010, 23:18
As for a misspelt word such as flatulence my browser has an inbuilt spell checker with pretty wavy lines under incorrect words, so if you decide not to rush you correct your errors as you go.:)

Mistakes happen and are sometimes meant to amuse one.;)

Maggy
11-03-2010, 23:35
As for a misspelt word such as flatulence my browser has an inbuilt spell checker with pretty wavy lines under incorrect words, so if you decide not to rush you correct your errors as you go.:)

Mistakes happen and are sometimes meant to amuse one.;)

Exactly!

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

So as a person with the condition of dyslexia you think it is ok to poke fun at someone attempting to communicate/translate from their own language into English and back again.That because you have a recognised condition that excuses you from exerting the same common courtesy you demand from me..Well as it happens I wasn't poking fun.I'm taking you to task for sheer bad manners.

Digital Fanatic
11-03-2010, 23:38
ha ha ha ... this is a funny thread :rofl:

Brightened up my Thursday night :D

danielf
11-03-2010, 23:46
So as a person with the condition of dyslexia y0u think it is ok to poke fun at someone attempting to communicate/translate from their own language into English and back again.That because you have a recognised condition that excuses you from exerting the same common courtesy you demand from me..Well as it happens I wasn't poking fun.I'm taking you to task for sheer bad manners.

In fairness: it is the VM rep's job to communicate with customers in the UK in English. As such, he ought to know (or be trained on) the jargon that goes with it. As a non-native speaker of English myself I'm all too aware of how difficult it is to become fluent in a second language, but I do think the VM rep should know the basic technical jargon.

Also, I don't think there was much malice in the original post. The OP thought the rep error was very funny, which frankly, it is. :)

Oh, and it's 'you', not 'y0u' :p: :angel:

Sephiroth
11-03-2010, 23:48

So as a person with the condition of dyslexia you think it is ok to poke fun at someone attempting to communicate/translate from their own language into English and back again.That because you have a recognised condition that excuses you from exerting the same common courtesy you demand from me..Well as it happens I wasn't poking fun.I'm taking you to task for sheer bad manners.

How do you know they're translating from their own language? English is an official language in India.

WelshChris' report was enormously funny when associated with the theme's development - almost along the lines of the funny signs thread.

And as for your "bad manners" assertion - that's ridiculous. The CF Team have it in for WelshChris and that's it.

Maggy
11-03-2010, 23:50
How do you know they're translating from their own language? English is an official language in India.

WelshChris' report was enormously funny when associated with the theme's development - almost along the lines of the funny signs thread.

And as for your "bad manners" assertion - that's ridiculous. The CF Team have it in for WelshChris and that's it.

Point to me any post anywhere else on CF where I have it in for this poster!

Sephiroth
11-03-2010, 23:56
Point to me any post anywhere else on CF where I have it in for this poster!

This thread speaks for itself.

Maggy
12-03-2010, 00:00

Typical! You can't actually point to any other place that I have had it in for Welshchris because there isn't one.

In fact in the past I have intervened on his behalf..

Digital Fanatic
12-03-2010, 00:00

No it doesn't... it was a funny thread. :)

Sephiroth
12-03-2010, 00:13
Typical! You can't actually point to any other place that I have had it in for Welshchris because there isn't one.

In fact in the past I have intervened on his behalf..

Then intervene this time.

My remark was a generalisation on the CF Team and your comments in this thread appeared to me as being in the same vein.

Look, I don't want to make enemies among the CF Team. On this occasion I called it as I saw it and let's leave it at that.

Maggy
12-03-2010, 00:18
Then intervene this time.

My remark was a generalisation on the CF Team and your comments in this thread appeared to me as being in the same vein.

Look, I don't want to make enemies among the CF Team. On this occasion I called it as I saw it and let's leave it at that.

I have intervened because in my opinion that as a dyslexic sufferer he really should have had more courtesy than to poke fun at someone else who in all probability working in India is communicating in a language that is not his mother tongue.However I was not extracting the urine from him over it.

I'm off to bed now as I have to be up early tomorrow.

Raistlin
12-03-2010, 00:24
Everybody: At the risk of sounding like a stuck record..... If you have a problem with a post report it - I'm sick of seeing people bitching, whinging, and knocking lumps out of each other in threads.

Electric Warrior
12-03-2010, 03:14
Bored now...I thought it was funny WelshChris :)

Lord Nikon
12-03-2010, 03:52
it just goes to show the the impotence of proofreading (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OonDPGwAyfQ)

Graham M
12-03-2010, 08:25
LoL how did I miss a thread of such awesomeness! I'm also a little perturbed that some people seem to view us as "forum tidying robots" but anyhoo

dilli-theclaw
12-03-2010, 08:31
LoL how did I miss a thread of such awesomeness! I'm also a little perturbed that some people seem to view us as "forum tidying robots" but anyhooI thought being one of the little people is much more fun. Look, that's me on the right there. I have to wonder who Darby O'Gill (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052722/) is tho?

Chris
12-03-2010, 11:29
As a non-native speaker of English myself I'm all too aware of how difficult it is to become fluent in a second language

You're sure you don't mean "flatulent in a second language?" :D

Also, I don't think there was much malice in the original post. The OP thought the rep error was very funny, which frankly, it is. :)Yes, it was quite funny, until it became clear that WC may be happy to cry with laughter at someone else's less-than-perfect English, but he's really not up for having other people cry with laughter at his own efforts.

He made his joke, with some deliciously ironic slip-ups along the way, and got all prissy about it when someone else dared to point out the error of his ways. He could have said, "Yes, touché, very funny, ha ha!" and that would probably have been it. Instead ... well, here we are ...

pabscars
12-03-2010, 11:51
A mate of mine in manchester has been having a few connection issues and rang tech support and was put through to India...

They tested his line and said there was problems on his upstream and my friend asked what kind of problems and he was told that he had "Upstream flatulance" LOL!.

He was told to make a note for when the tech came out that he has "Upstream Flatulance also"

I think its been a mistranslation somewhere that should be fluctuations but its made me weak with laughter...

I can see it now when the tech comes on Monday next week, "i think i have upstream flatulance, and the tech saying phaps its best u see a doctor? lol

Maybe the tech support agent thought your friend described his problem as upstream speed in **its and farts, not fits and starts :D:D

Hence the upstream flatulence