PDA

View Full Version : utilisation

shrek
10-03-2010, 13:59
hi, i have recently upgraded from 10 Meg to 20 Meg since then i have had a nightmare I have had to engineers out 1 replaced modem and later that evening it went down from 20 Meg to 7

I rang up again we done all the tests another engineer came today fitted a capacitor on the modem and said before the signal level was too high

He then said after a phone call that my area was over utilised and it will need to be as bad as 95% for virgin to do something..

I'm now confused do i go back to 10 Meg to see if this stops it or stay on 20Meg

Virgin also said because my two boys play xbox live this goes against me on my download allowance ? are they real ?

So now do i say to my boys you cant play x box for two long

Ben B
10-03-2010, 14:09
Hi There,

This does sound like over utilisation. Could you please browse to http://192.168.100.1 and long in with the username root and the password root. Then post everything that is on the downstream and upstream pages.

Thanks.
Ben :)

Ignitionnet
10-03-2010, 14:15
Virgin also said because my two boys play xbox live this goes against me on my download allowance ? are they real ?

So now do i say to my boys you cant play x box for two long

No they are idiots, ignore them, the X-Box doesn't use much data and won't make much of a dent. They were just looking for excuses to justify the poor performance of the Virgin network.

shrek
10-03-2010, 14:18
ownstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : pstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 41.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

broadbandking
10-03-2010, 20:21
No they are idiots, ignore them, the X-Box doesn't use much data and won't make much of a dent. They were just looking for excuses to justify the poor performance of the Virgin network.

But with only a 768K upload two online game console's would surely effect the download speed, as there is only a little upload left.

sollp
10-03-2010, 21:07
But with only a 768K upload two online game console's would surely effect the download speed, as there is only a little upload left.

Nope, gaming isn't using as much as you would imagine.

What type of modem do you have? Ambit/ 200,250,255,256?? or any other make?

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

Wouldn't say they are using that as an excuse, more like your typical call centre were they have certain buzz words that they latch onto. Nothing more than a total lack of understanding really, any call centre will tell you anything just to be seen to be doing/saying something.

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

ownstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : pstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 41.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Spot on there, no issues!

alex250
10-03-2010, 21:22
Shrek you don't live in a student area do you??

Ben B
10-03-2010, 21:23
It looks like you're not on the newer DOCSIS 1.1 256QAM network which may be causing issues with utilisation in your area. Before I was migrated to the newer network, the maximum speed I would get was 13mb most of the time, only the odd 20mb speed. Since I have been migrated, I always hit 19mb+, so that's what needs to be done in your area (I don't understand why it hasn't as I thought all 20mb customers were being switched). My current speed is:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/03/49.png

and that is wirelessly, I would never get anywhere near that before they changed the UBR I was on apart from after 12am as in my sig.

All I can suggest is that you either drop to 10mb or you upgrade to 50mb where you will definitely be on the new UBR AFAIK.

Ben :)

Ignitionnet
10-03-2010, 22:27

Not really, unless hosting. The concern was more the nonsense about it eating through download allowance.

shrek
11-03-2010, 00:46
Hi Everyone thank you for your help contacted virgin customer services tonight and she was not all that bothered , she did say that they would do nothing until the complaints hit 93% which is not fair so I basically said drop me back down to 10 Meg which they have done , I will monitor this in the next few days, There basic don't care attitude is annoying
I have been with virgin when they were called NTL and are very upset to say the least.

There are no students round here nicking the bandwidth so I cant think what's happening

next call is to the ceo at Virgin ?

broadbandking
11-03-2010, 09:08
Hi Everyone thank you for your help contacted virgin customer services tonight and she was not all that bothered , she did say that they would do nothing until the complaints hit 93% which is not fair so I basically said drop me back down to 10 Meg which they have done , I will monitor this in the next few days, There basic don't care attitude is annoying
I have been with virgin when they were called NTL and are very upset to say the least.

There are no students round here nicking the bandwidth so I cant think what's happening

next call is to the ceo at Virgin ?

You can send a complaint to the CEO's office, they are normally very good and get things moving.

shrek
14-03-2010, 01:47
Hi Well I have been downgraded to 10 Meg and have monitored the speed it drops from 10 to 4 meg at approx 7pm and is ok at 12 pm so it looks like im on that over utilised line

I have sent complaint to virgin and said they will ring me in 3 days ?

so see the next episode of utilisation Lol

Welshchris
14-03-2010, 02:05
how did u complain? Email or Letter?

shrek
15-03-2010, 00:46
i sent a email via there complaints procedure