PDA

View Full Version : VM broadband in Orpington any good?

jrhnewark
09-03-2010, 23:56
Hi all,

We're seriously considering moving to Orpington for the good train links (20 mins to London Bridge), easy shopping, easy to get out to the country, cheap etc.

We're currently in Greenwich on the Lewisham>Bromley headend and speeds are what you might call alright - we're on 10Mbps and we sometimes get close.

Can anyone advise, would Orpington come under the Bromley headend? If so, what's the local utilisation like?

ADSL is also an option if it's fast enough...

Mr.T
10-03-2010, 12:40
My friend has Virgin Media just outside of Orpington and gets a good service - although she only has the slowest deal anyway I think.

You could try checking the postcodes of the houses you're looking at here too -http://www.chooseisp.co.uk/compare/broadband-phone.asp to check that Virgin's available there.

Hope this helps! :)

jrhnewark
10-03-2010, 12:59
Yeah, I've checked the postcode for the street we're looking at and it is cabled. Thanks for that. :)

Ignitionnet
10-03-2010, 14:17
Utilisation is impossible to nail down sadly, you'd need to ask someone in the same street you are going to and even then there's no guarantee they'd be on the same ports as yourself.

Probably ok is the best answer.

jrhnewark
10-03-2010, 14:30
Yeah, sure, I was more egging towards the "is it a bit like Lewisham where every man and his dog appears to be getting it for free?", which is the common perception around here. ;)

Impz2002
10-03-2010, 14:40
I believe the amount of people who are still stealing access has shrunk somewhat. VM's counter-measures are very effective against the non technical types and it takes a decent amount of technical knowledge to make stealing service viable. Your average "bought the modem in the pub" type of guy is prob not having much luck! it is a time-consuming task to keep a cloned modem online for any reasonable length of time!

Impz

jrhnewark
10-03-2010, 15:15
Then I'll have to put it down to VM just not having enough capacity these days round these parts... ;)

broadbandking
11-03-2010, 11:26
You have a right to cancel if it doesn't work out for you.

jrhnewark
30-03-2010, 16:28
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, having actually got the postcode, VM don't service the area on network (it was built in 2003).

I'm also about as far away from the Orpington exchange as you can get.

Starting to wish we were moving to a smaller place in Central London as I'd suggested to the missus!!